Hummy.tv sometimes complains that Adblock Plus is active

Are people that vain that they need everyone to know whether they are a paid supporter?
I'm surprised you even need to ask :roflmao:

But that vanity might actually increase the donation rate, as I think someone inferred earlier in the thread.

It seems the general consensus is in favour. I've created a new user upgrade called "Forum Supporter" (suggestions for different wording welcome!) as a test, and applied it to Black Hole, Trev and Wallace as a starter for ten.
Cost is currently £10/year (discussion welcome) and it provides:
  • That Warm Fuzzy Feeling™;
  • Ability to edit own title;
  • "Forum Supporter" banner under avatar;
  • No adverts;
  • No advert blocker detection;
  • Ability to delete own posts (not sure about this one but given that people can already replace the content of a post with 'deleted'...);
  • Manage all tags in your own threads;
  • Removes the enforced 20 second delay between posts.
Other benefits could be added, this is just the set of options that are available in the standard forum software that seemed reasonable.

Last edited:
Cost is currently £10/year (discussion welcome) and it provides:
I'm wondering what would be simple to manage.

Would it be possible for someone to donate two lots of £5 and it still to count? I suspect that for simplicity only donations of £10 (or whatever) or more should count.

Would it be possible to donate £20 and for it to count for 2 years? For simplicity I suggest not.

If it is a straightforward process that a donation for £10+ counts for a year from the day of the donation, then I'd suggest that it counts for thirteen months as this would simplify an individual's yearly donation by giving a bit of leeway.

Am I correct in thinking that donations for RS are separate or has that changed?

I'm wondering what would be simple to manage.
Well the forum software has a built-in upgrade mechanism which links into Paypal. The upgrade would then appear as something available to purchase for those who are interested and would automatically expire a year later.
Am I correct in thinking that donations for RS are separate or has that changed?
These days, the Forum, RS, and the Wiki all run on the same server. In the past, I used to send Michael some of the RS donations each year as some users were definitely confused about what they were donating towards (I would get a spurt of RS donations immediately after Michael posted a request on the forum for example). RS has its own direct expenses though such as the domain names, and it will shortly be available to Foxsat users too so I will leave the donation link in place there.
5000 members, £10 a go, buy a nice car for that af! ;)
Still wouldn't quite get me a Tesla unfortunately : )
I'm not trying to make a profit, just cover the running costs.

Removes the enforced 20 second delay between posts.
Just shorten it so as to limit the possibility of a 'double post' I would not imagine that a delay of ten seconds would inflict too much pain.:laugh:
I'm not trying to make a profit, just cover the running costs.
I doubt if anyone here thinks that anyway. We don't HAVE to contribute. I think that £10 is OK unless this makes 'too much profit', whereby it could be reduced?

I have no problem with af123 getting some beer+ money. It's the £400 honorarium our club sec has been accepting for years I'm gunning for!

Another forum I use is a right pain with subscriptions: member privileges are revoked the moment the sub runs out, but the forum only sends out a reminder when the sub runs out! Allowing privileges to be revoked rather than topping up in time then requires manual intervention to reinstate them.

I just got one too, after I switched AdBlocker on.
Is having the 'Forum Supporter' 'rank' so that us peeps who contribute can shame those who don't by weeding out the cheapskates?:eek: I would prefer just to have the facility rather than trumpet it far and wide that I shove you a bob or two every now and again.

...Is having the 'Forum Supporter' 'rank' so that us peeps who contribute can shame those who don't by weeding out the cheapskates?:eek: I would prefer just to have the facility rather than trumpet it far and wide that I shove you a bob or two every now and again.

Agreed.

+1

Instead of adding a banner to the avatar, I expected "forum supporter" (or whatever) to be the text where "Well-Known Member" currently is - and then we could change it as we like.

Back