I Can't get files to copy to NTFS Drive

4ndy

I have just installed the custome firmware for the first time (latest version) and installed NTFS-3g, amongst a few other packages.

My plan was to migrate the files from a Ext3 formatted drive to an NTFS formatted drive. When I try to do this using move/copy on the Humax it reports that it has added the files to the move list and the disappear from the source disk. there is no "copying" legend on the screen. Whe I check the destination disk, the files are not there, and they re-appear on the source disk.

I have tried re-installing the package and several reboots. On one occasion the NTFS disk showed as "Goflex Desk" as well as USB-drive3. When i tried copying to the Goflex option, I got a message saying that the humax cannot copy the NTFS files.

Any ideas how I get it to work?

Can you post the output of the rag.log log file after you have plugged the NTFS disk in? From that we'll be able to check that the read-write mount was successful.

I copied the rag log into a txt file attached.

Attachments

• raglog.txt
    11.8 KB · Views: 13
It does look as if it is mounting correctly. I suggest giving it a few seconds after inserting the disk before attempting to access it.

Thanks xzy321. It has been left for more than an hour since I tried it last. No difference.

I have now identified that it copies from the internal HDD OK, so I have now a work around. However, the source HDD has about 1.5gb, making it a bit fiddly.

Can you run a diagnostic from your web interface diagnostics screen and post the results here as text surrounded by [code] tags?

The diagnostic name is: mount

Thanks AF.

Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic mount Running: mount rootfs on / type rootfs (rw) /dev/root on / type squashfs (ro) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw) tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw) /dev/mtdblock1 on /var/lib/humaxtv type jffs2 (rw) /dev/mtdblock2 on /var/lib/humaxtv_backup type jffs2 (rw) /dev/sda1 on /media/drive1 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered) /dev/sdc1 on /media/drive3 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered) /dev/sdd1 on /mnt/hd1 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered) /dev/sdd2 on /mnt/hd2 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered) /dev/sdd3 on /mnt/hd3 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered) /dev/sdb1 on /media/usb-drive2 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other) Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/root 17.1M 17.1M 0 100% / tmpfs 61.0M 56.0K 61.0M 0% /tmp tmpfs 61.0M 0 61.0M 0% /media /dev/mtdblock1 2.0M 484.0K 1.5M 24% /var/lib/humaxtv /dev/mtdblock2 2.0M 1.3M 732.0K 64% /var/lib/humaxtv_backup /dev/sda1 1.7T 1.2T 377.9G 77% /media/drive1 /dev/sdc1 1.7T 1.3T 302.1G 82% /media/drive3 /dev/sdd1 1011.4M 41.5M 918.5M 4% /mnt/hd1 /dev/sdd2 906.1G 392.9G 467.1G 46% /mnt/hd2 /dev/sdd3 9.8G 437.9M 8.9G 5% /mnt/hd3 /dev/sdb1 1.8T 1.7G 1.8T 0% /media/usb-drive2 >>> Ending diagnostic mount Rendered in: 0.233 seconds

I'm wondering whether ntfs-3g is installed properly.

I have removed it and re-istalled it a few times, with re-boots in between.

I am begining to wonder if it is something in 1.02.32 that is causing it.

Thanks Black Hole.
Seems unlikely, but maybe. Fancy trying 1.02.20? That's what I use.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else is getting the same issue.

I have just installed the custome firmware for the first time (latest version) and installed NTFS-3g, amongst a few other packages.

My plan was to migrate the files from a Ext3 formatted drive to an NTFS formatted drive. When I try to do this using move/copy on the Humax it reports that it has added the files to the move list and the disappear from the source disk. there is no "copying" legend on the screen. Whe I check the destination disk, the files are not there, and they reappear on the source disk

Have you got mvdisks installed? (Makes attached drives appear as though part of the internal disk)
Do you press the blue button to change storage location?
When you initiate the 'Move/Copy' - what route do you take to specify the destination?

I ask because the description you give sounds like what happens when one tries to move a file from HDD to USB with mvdisks installed, and not going the "Move/Copy > usb-1" route, but instead "Move/Copy > HDD > usb-1" - makes the file 'added for move', disappear, not appear on usb-1 and later reappear on HDD.

I wondered whether the problem you are experiencing was a variation of that?

Thanks for the response Delftblue.

No I don't have mvdisks installed.

I am trying to move files from an Ext3 formatted USB HDD to a NTFS USB HDD, so I do press the blue button to get to the USB drives, but from then on it is the standard move/copy naviagtion.

Interestingly, the red button icon when I drop the files to be copied says "Copy" as I would expect, but the following message which appears across the screen says added to MOVED list.

In addition, there is no pie chart or capacity information, which may be in line with other theories about mounting issues.

Although it means 2 copies, I am wondering if in the long run it would be easier to FTP from the Ext3 formatted USB HDD to a P.C. hard disk and then FTP from the P.C. hard disk to the NTFS USB HDD. Alternatively plug the NTFS USB HDD in to your P.C. and FTP directly from the Humax Ext3 formatted USB HDD drive to the NTFS USB HDD connected to your P.C.

Although it means 2 copies, I am wondering if in the long run it would be easier to FTP from the Ext3 formatted USB HDD to a P.C. hard disk and then FTP from the P.C. hard disk to the NTFS USB HDD. Alternatively plug the NTFS USB HDD in to your P.C. and FTP directly from the Humax Ext3 formatted USB HDD drive to the NTFS USB HDD connected to your P.C.

That is worth considering. It must be better than copying the files to the Humax and then to the NTFS USB HDD. It copied 200gb from the Ext3 USB HDD to the Humax in less than 5 hours. it has been 11 hours copying from the Humax to the NTFS drive and is only just half way! This is a bit of a nuisance, as I planned to try the previous version of the firmware.

I think it unlikely you will see any change in this area by reverting back to 1.02.20 from 1.02.32

You were right. I went back to 1.02.29 / 2.15 CF. No difference.

Not sure whether ntfs-3g has been soak tested with 2.15 - I'm still on 2.12.

What does it look like in the WebIF media browser? You can set up a copy from there, bypassing the red button copy shenanigans.

Back