I think my disc is failing

Although the reallocated sector count is quite high, it may not yet be above the failure threshold. It may be possible to improve the picture breakup problems and make backing up the disk more reliable.

From the web interface select "Dignostics" and then "Hard Disk". In the table of attributes are any marked in red?

What is the easiest way to transfer my recorded stuff? Can i just connect old and new drives to a pc and drag and drop? 500gb surely would take days to move across via the humax
All you need to do is FTP the recording onto a P.C. you don't need Custom Firmware for this, just :-

• Configure the Humax's LAN with Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> Configure LAN
  • On Humax turn on FTP e.g. Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> FTP server = on
  • On a networked P.C. open Internet or Windows Explorer and enter ftp://10.0.0.200 and use logon = humaxftp and password = 0000
  • Copy and paste files from the FTP window to a file explorer window
Notes:-
replace 10.0.0.200 with the IP address of your Humax
The FTPed files will only play when, FTPed back to the same Humax (With a new hard drive)

The Original poster (in #1) made it clear he has already seen the 2TB blog :-
would a novice be able to follow the instructions in the wiki for upgrading a HDD to 2tb to replace my failing one?

Although the reallocated sector count is quite high, it may not yet be above the failure threshold. It may be possible to improve the picture breakup problems and make backing up the disk more reliable.

From the web interface select "Dignostics" and then "Hard Disk". In the table of attributes are any marked in red?
No nothing in red as of yet just the disc warning when entering startup. The recorded programs pause while i get the " scrambled" message then resume but the box freezes at this time too so i can't switch it off i have to wait for it to come back to me...
All you need to do is FTP the recording onto a P.C. you don't need Custom Firmware for this, just :-

• Configure the Humax's LAN with Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> Configure LAN
  • On Humax turn on FTP e.g. Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> FTP server = on
  • On a networked P.C. open Internet or Windows Explorer and enter ftp://10.0.0.200 and use logon = humaxftp and password = 0000
  • Copy and paste files from the FTP window to a file explorer window
Notes:-
replace 10.0.0.200 with the IP address of your Humax
The FTPed files will only play when, FTPed back to the same Humax (With a new hard drive)
That sounds like the way for me, i dont have a USB drive with the spare capacity to back up all my recordings. And i do wish to copy them back.
The Original poster (in #1) made it clear he has already seen the 2TB blog :-
I asked the question ( instructions to replace MartinLiddle) in case the operation for replacing a 2tb drive is different to a like for like ( which according to these posts here it is slightly different and hopefully even more straight forward). Just trying to avoid ending up with a dead box due to user error. Its an expensive paperweight if i do muck up.... So many questions..
Oh and i am running CF, not sure which version but quite current, updated about a month or so ago.

How many sectors corrupted do you need to start to take action? Over 2000 today. Going to try a telnet maintenance session later.

How do you suggest trying to correct the picture problems and correcting backup ?

How many sectors corrupted do you need to start to take action?
My rule of thumb is start worrying at a 1000 reallocated sectors and replace when the rate of change of reallocated sectors starts to increase. On our box it was quite usable whilst only 2 or 3 sectors a day were being reallocated but when the rate reached 40 sectors a day the functionality was seriously impaired. I suggest you order a new drive now.

Ok have ordered a drive this morning( the Seagate one MartinLiddle suggested) and i intend to move all my old recordings over this weekend to my laptop. I have a few questions that i can't find in the wiki ( if they are please point me in the right direction and i will bother thee no more)
1 So once recordings are moved i assume that i just crack open the box, swap the drives over and the humax will recognise the new drive and set up for me, right or wrong? Do i need to do anything with the CF first?
2 I assume i will have to reinstall the custom firmware which i currently have?
3 Will i lose all my favourites and recording schedule?
4 will i need to redo all my settings on the hummy or will it keep them ( things like Wireless )
5 Anything else i should know......

Bearing in mind I have not done this...

1. No, you will have to initiate formatting. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage - Edit: Incorrect. The Humax detects the new drive and offers to formati it.

2. Not the custom firmware itself, it will drop back to the web installation screen stage.

3. I don't think so. As far as I know, the only things (not counting the custom software) stored on the hard drive are the actual media content, TSR buffer, streaming buffer, DLNA index (rebuilds automatically), EPG (rebuilds automatically), and the cookie file (who cares?). Everything "important" is stored in the flash drive.

4. As above.

5. I hope not. The main trouble you might get into is if the Humax refuses to format the drive, and then you might need steering through it.

You don't actually need to save your content off, if you have a USB to SATA adapter (or are prepared to buy one) you can hook the old drive up afterwards and copy across from there. Ditto the custom firmware (using the command line; Telnet will survive the drive change).

Bearing in mind I have not done this...

1. No, you will have to initiate formatting. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage

2. Not the custom firmware itself, it will drop back to the web installation screen stage.

3. I don't think so. As far as I know, the only things (not counting the custom software) stored on the hard drive are the actual media content, TSR buffer, streaming buffer, DLNA index (rebuilds automatically), EPG (rebuilds automatically), and the cookie file (who cares?). Everything "important" is stored in the flash drive.

4. As above.

5. I hope not. The main trouble you might get into is if the Humax refuses to format the drive, and then you might need steering through it.

You don't actually need to save your content off, if you have a USB to SATA adapter (or are prepared to buy one) you can hook the old drive up afterwards and copy across from there. Ditto the custom firmware (using the command line; Telnet will survive the drive change).
Ok just to clarify for a numpty-
2. I just have to reinstall the add on packages?
I think i will just crack on and come back if i run into any issues Hardest bit will be getting little un to stop recording cbeebies for long enough for me to do this............

Why don't you simply copy off your recordings from the old HDD to a PC, install the official firmware, install the new HDD into your machine, let the Humax format it, copy back the saved recordings and then install the custom firmware?

You will loose recording schedules and will also have to re-configure your custom firmware packages, but is that a bad thing? At least you will be starting from a clean slate.

Why don't you simply copy off your recordings from the old HDD to a PC, install the official firmware, install the new HDD into your machine, let the Humax format it, copy back the saved recordings and then install the custom firmware?
I think that's what he's planning to do!

You will loose recording schedules
Is that the case? I think (but don't know for sure) the database is held in Flash.

2. I just have to reinstall the add on packages?
Not quite, the second-stage install (Web interface download from Internet) will be required followed by a reboot, and then you can reinstall your packages.

For the sake of the price of a drive adapter, I don't see the point of transferring content to PC first (presuming one has enough free space on the PC's drive).

I think that's what he's planning to do!

Is that the case? I thought (but don't know for sure) the database is held in Flash.

Not quite, the second-stage install (Web interface download from Internet) will be required followed by a reboot, and then you can reinstall your packages.

For the sake of the price of a drive adapter, I don't see the point of transferring content to PC first (presuming one has enough free space on the PC's drive).
Its just 15 to 20 quid for something i hopefully won't ever need to use again that's all. Happy to take the more time consuming route. If i lose my schedule so be it, as long as it works again that's the bottom line.

You can copy recording schedule and favourites files from your current system onto a P.C. and them copy them back to the new system to be on the safe side, the files are here, e.g. mod/var/backup/auto-2013-Feb-22-18:06.rbk

1. No, you will have to initiate formatting. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> Format Storage
Will he? I am pretty certain that the box will notice the new drive and offer to format it and I think af123's blog also mentions it.
The only issue that bothers me (slightly) is that the drive that I recommended is a 4K sector Advanced Format drive which would normally require the partitions to be aligned with the 4K sectors which the Humax will not do. As stated previously the drive has a 512 byte sector emulation mode and the Humax doesn't come close to using the maximum performance of the drive so it will probably be OK. In the worst case it will need the partitions aligning, one way or another.

You can copy recording schedule and favourites files from your current system onto a P.C. and them copy them back to the new system to be on the safe side, the files are here, e.g. mod/var/backup/auto-2013-Feb-22-18:06.rbk
The WebIF backup files that is, not the actual schedule and favourites. They would then need to be restored from backup once the backup file was copied onto the new HDD.

Will he? I am pretty certain that the box will notice the new drive and offer to format it and I think af123's blog also mentions it.
Fair enough, I did say I had not done this myself. It would be useful if martypants writes up his experience.

Back