I think my disc is failing

Glad to do so. It would be a beginner's guide which more experienced can cherry pick from hopefully.
So either i format the drive or it asks to, assuming all is well i reinstall the elements from the webif that are missing after replacing the backup file via FTP.

There is a slight problem with that - the standard FTP server won't access anything outside the media folders, and the custom server requires the betaftp package loaded first, so it's a question of doing things in the right order. Fitting the old drive as an external would allow you to do everything via Telnet, with only the USB-loaded part of the CF in place.

I would be happy to lend you my SATA adapter, but the two-way postage would be a significant proportion of the cost of buying one.

Thanks Black Hole that's a kind offer, i guess i just need to do everything in the right order.As long as i can get my media off, install new drive, format, reload CF and retransfer media back then i can handle losing the schedule and favourites. Will just do what i did before i discovered CF, take a photo of my schedule.........

Jeez This is going to be an ar*e...Tried to open the humax across the network but in my windows explorer it just shows as a media device so I can't copy files that way. I read some bits on here and then downloaded filezilla and the betaftp package but I am clearly putting the address in wrong in the host/username/password/port boxes.
Can someone advise where to put the humaxftp and where to put the password, and what goes in the other boxes??

You don't need to use filezilla, the file explorer in windows can be used, enter ftp://192.168.2.3 into the browser (using your Humax's IP address) and then name : humaxftp and password : 0000 (unless you have changed the Humax default password) WiKi Notes HERE

Don't forget that betaftp clashes with the standard server, so with betaftp installed you must disable the FTP server in Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting.

Thank you both, i feel like such an idiot having to ask how to do stuff like this.
If i use Filezilla and all the background files & folders are there ( not just media files), once the new drive is formatted if i copied all this across do you think it should all work as previous with minimal intervention?

...the drive that I recommended is a 4K sector Advanced Format drive which would normally require the partitions to be aligned with the 4K sectors which the Humax will not do. As stated previously the drive has a 512 byte sector emulation mode and the Humax doesn't come close to using the maximum performance of the drive so it will probably be OK. In the worst case it will need the partitions aligning, one way or another.

Even with the 512 byte sector emulation, the partitions should be aligned or performance will suffer. I'm not sure if it would be bad enough to notice in a recording but it will certainly cause a lot more work, noise and heat for the disk.

Seagates have something called Smart Align (http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/tp615_smartalign_for_af_4k.pdf) but they don't say how it works..

Quick update guys, will post more when i have more time.
Connected over wifi but getting files off was painfully slow, was going to take 4 days just to get off so gave up on that ! Failed to get a connection over wired LAN so in the end i just swapped the HDD out without tranferring anything. Humax did its thing and formatted it, minimal intervention. All favourite channels & schedules were kept, i just had to reassign my unit to remote scheduling and reinstall all the Webif packages. I am dis-assembling my box again this week and taking the old and new drives into work where the IT dept have offered to transfer the recordings for me. The HDD displays only 950 odd GB useable ( 1000 total), not sure if this is normal but i dont care as i never use more than half the disc space anyhow.

One last issue- I took the drives this morning to our IT dept to move across the old media to the new drive. He stuck the drives in a HD caddy and the drives are not recognised, also in the system folder the settings it was all greyed out so i am kind of back to square one. However he has given me the caddy to take home and plug into the front of the humax. So i have a couple of choices to transfer the files back on-
1- I plug in the caddy to the USB and transfer via USB from the humax box using the humax interface ( wont this be slow ???)
2- I use the webif and browse the USB to move across ( as i am writing this i don't think this is possible)
3- I use a wired LAN. Now this i think is quickest but i am having awful problems.
Currently my box is connected via a wireless dongle and wifi- All is good and i can transfer files but its painfully slow, we are talking 4 days.
Please someone tell me step by step what i need to turn off so i can plug in a lead and transfer files. I have filezilla if needed but when i tried earlier this week to connect via wire it would not connect in any way.
Help............PS i have browsed the trail guides etc but still its not working.

Option 1 is as good as anything.. it won't be massively fast but will get the job done with minimal hassle.

Yeah i probably will thanks AF123. I have 2 folders with 50 odd programs in each so for a start i could leave those off and do the rest.
He didnt advise though if it worked one way or another. Assuming it did...

The reason your IT department did not succeed is probably that they are so indoctrinated in Microsoft training they have no idea there are other disk formats.

With a USB adapter to hand, you are back on the course I originally mapped out.

Ok here is a write up of my experiences from the perspective of an amateur with a screwdriver!
I decided to replace my drive after getting "this channel is scrambled or unavailable message while watching recordings. More noticeably when the hard drive was recording other programs. Also a sector count warning via Webif got to over 2000 bad sections so it was time to act and save my 550gb of recordings.
1/ First i ordered a drive as recommended by MartinLiddle as being a like for like replacement- http://www.ebuyer.com/337318-seagate-1tb-pipeline-internal-hard-drive-st1000vm002
2/ I attempted to get my recordings off the old drive. I started off connecting over FTP using WiFI and Filezilla but the process was very very slow. Now this may have been my connection but it was too slow for me so abandoned that idea. Second attempt was using a wired connection straight to my PC but i was unable to establish any connection at all so gave up. My IT dept offered to transfer the files for me at that stage so i cracked on with the install.
3/ Opened the box removing 3 screws, a further 4 screws securing the Drive holder to the motherboard, and a further 4 screws keeping the Drive firmly in the drive holder were removed. The old drive was noticeably heavier than the new one! I was quick frankly amazed at the temperature of the old drive, it was very very hot...
4/ The new drive was screwed into place and the box put back together.
5/ I restarted the Humax. It immediately came up with a "this disk needs formatting" screen. I then used a few button presses to initiate the format, and once this was done i could see that it had worked perfectly. It is worth noting that it recognised the 1tb drive but only gave me about 950 actual gb for storage, the rest i assume taken up by "working" files.
6/ Now i looked to see the damage in terms of settings. To my joy all my favorite channel lists and recording schedule was intact. Good so far.
7/ Next i tried the Webif. This didnt work initially but after a short period of time i was able to connect. I have no idea why this was. Once a connection was established i noted that i had to reinstall all the upgrades & additional packages again, which i did. Things like portal xtra1, mongoose, etc.
8/ I connected to the remote scheduling portal and could see that my new drive was not being seen. So in the settings page i deleted my old machine details and went back into the Webif. Using the settings page that carries the details to register for remote scheduling i entered my email details again and the new data uploaded overnight. So all good so far, just the recordings to deal with.
9/ Disassembled my box again and took the 2 drives to work. My IT dept were unable to help me as the Humax drives were in a native format ( maybe that could have helped more but in my case they didnt. The drives were not recognised and so nothing could be copied over). However they gave me a USB caddy to try and move stuff across myself.
10/ So back home, Humax reassembled, i connect the old drive in the USB caddy, to the front of the Humax via the USB port. Starting to transfer files across it was still a bit slow but overnight it transferred approx 50% of the recordings. It probably would have done more if not all but i failed to remember i had a shutdown/ restart scheduled in the early hours and this cut my copying connection.
11/ Second evening of copying and all is good. Tonight it copied a lot faster and my recordings are now all complete before bedtime! Little one is happy to have Horrid Henry back to watch and i have my Minder !!!

Footnote- Unfortunately i still have an issue now with my wireless. The wifi box is greyed out and says no connection, even though i have the wifi dongle plugged in the back. This worked when i assembled the box the first time so i fear i may have inadvertantly damaged the connection somehow on the back which is stopping this from working. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.....

Back