"If you’ve been trying to track down a Freesat recording box lately"

I hate that, why can't TVs have a feature to copy settings between different inputs including internal sources? Then you could tweak from there.
Mine does.
Just had to do it as, somehow overscan had got re-enabled by some random idiot (me, presumably ;) ).
Panasonic OLED.
 
I don't understand this. I use "16:9" screen settings on the TV, as opposed to "Screen Fit" AKA "1:1" or "Pixel" (etc), which is the modern equivalent of overscan. Overscan was a technique in analogue broadcasting and CRT TVs to clean up the left and right edges of the picture (which would be ragged) and avoid displaying the non-picture frame lines at the top and bottom (they got used for Teletext data).

It used to be the case, although I haven't checked lately, that even with digital broadcasting the left and right edges were badly defined. On something like BBC Breakfast, which switches between multiple video sources, displaying it 1:1 resulted in the picture width jumping (but within the old overscan margin). Having the screen set to 16:9 (ie only displaying the non-overscan central area, with a few percent missing beyond the edges of the physical screen) avoids that width variation.

I have not noticed any captions going missing. Is that on start-up services that might not understand the broadcasting etiquette by any chance? They really should keep the critical content within the non-overscan area.

The screen 1:1 setting is for display use rather than broadcast TV, by which I mean as a computer monitor or perhaps DVD/Blu-ray.
 
I blame the BBC for not transmitting the Test Card any more.:geek:
I haven't got a TV that allows me to fiddle with the picture size to get it how I want it. That, and the missing Test Card, means I have to put up with bits cut off all over the place. Having said that, some channels - yes you Sky News - don't broadcast the whole picture on Freeview anyway.
(The following quote was posted as I was writing- so apologies if I've duplicated something)
I have not noticed any captions going missing. Is that on start-up services that might not understand the broadcasting etiquette by any chance? They really should keep the critical content within the non-overscan area.
The right hand edge of text on the strap often goes missing on Sky News.
 
I blame the BBC for not transmitting the Test Card any more.:geek:
I just blame the BBC for everything ;)

I have got some recordings of the HD test card somewhere - I must look them out, although they might be on my redundant T2 come to think of it :(
 
I've just had a brilliant idea for the next Manhattan model of either Freeview or Freesat recording boxes.

How about a model with a removable hard disk tray so one could keep a library of must watch, and maybe watch again someday, on several HDD units creating your own library of recordings rather than having to pay to watch them again when they have been sold off to Prime or similar streaming platform.

From the current expanding trend of celebrity this and that trash you might not need many HDD ! At least you might get something before the Freely cabal enforce one into the no recording at all restriction?
 
I've just had a brilliant idea for the next Manhattan model of either Freeview or Freesat recording boxes.

How about a model with a removable hard disk tray so one could keep a library of must watch, and maybe watch again someday, on several HDD units creating your own library of recordings rather than having to pay to watch them again when they have been sold off to Prime or similar streaming platform.

From the current expanding trend of celebrity this and that trash you might not need many HDD ! At least you might get something before the Freely cabal enforce one into the no recording at all restriction?
No need. just keep hold of your old pvr's I have a 9200 , T2 and an Aura all stuffed full of things I will more than likely never watch. If you want to hoard I suggest you visit the charity shops where you can get 10 DVD's for £1 and Blu rays for not much more, no ads, lots of unaired extra's and you don't lose a lot if the HDD becomes a brick.
 
you don't lose a lot if the HDD becomes a brick.
Some early DVDs have been known to rot over time. I had NCIS series 1 on DVD. Perfectly playable when bought years ago, now full of errors. Lucky if one episode per disk (4 episodes) plays.
 
Some early DVDs have been known to rot over time. I had NCIS series 1 on DVD. Perfectly playable when bought years ago, now full of errors. Lucky if one episode per disk (4 episodes) plays.
Yes they can degrade and should be stored well but to lose a whole HDD full of content would hurt much more than a few cheap DVD's and if it bothered you that much you could use a HDD to back them up that was just for that purpose rather than regular use which would be less likely to fail and still get that warm glow from the knowledge that you are giving to a charity and not just a miserable old sod hoarding content that you will never watch.
 
Back
Top