Installed custom firmware - no channels found

kirkyboy

After looking through this forum and wiki I decided to install custom firmware as I thought it would give me some features I wanted.
Install from USB stick was fine and did what was expected but after rebooting there were no channels and I was prompted to do a search. This went all the way through and found nothing. Did a number of reboots and searches but still nothing. Enabled safe mode but no change!

I have checked the obvious things, connections, aerial lead etc.

What has gone wrong, how can I get the tuner to find channels, if I do RMA reset will that wipe off any existing recordings?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Just realised I should have said this is a HDR Fox T2, Humax version is 1.02.20 and loader version a7.33

if I do RMA reset will that wipe off any existing recordings?
No. This kind of question comes up repeatedly - yet nobody seems to worry whether installing CF in the first place will delete recordings!

Just realised I should have said this is a HDR Fox T2, Humax version is 1.02.20 and loader version a7.33
Why 1.02.20? That is very old. There can be reasons to stick with it, but:-

Check this: on the rear of the unit, you have the UHF input and pass-through sockets. Are they next to each other horizontally, or above one another vertically? If the latter, you have the updated hardware and must use firmware 1.03.xx otherwise the tuners won't work.

Things Every... (click) section 1

Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Which_Version

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the quick response.

No. This kind of question comes up repeatedly - yet nobody seems to worry whether installing CF in the first place will delete recordings!

I wasn't particularly concerned that CF would delete recordings as it all appeared very straightforward, however it seems that something has gone badly wrong and removong CF is not quite so simple and just wanted to check before I do it.

Why 1.02.20? That is very old. There can be reasons to stick with it, but:-

Check this: on the rear of the unit, you have the UHF input and pass-through sockets. Are they next to each other horizontally, or above one another vertically? If the latter, you have the updated hardware and must use firmware 1.03.xx otherwise the tuners won't work.

1.02.20 is the Humax version shown from diagnostics on the web interface. I've never carried out any updates or changes previously and had automatic update turned on so assumed it would be kept up to date.

UHF input and pass-through are next to each other horizontally. I did check that before installing CF and think I have the appropriate version.

I'll check out the links you posted and see how that goes.

Thanks again

UHF input and pass-through are next to each other horizontally.
Okay, well that was the main thing to check and would have explained your symptoms. There are some other things to try:

1. Eliminate any possibility of a poor signal. Test the aerial feed on something else, and ensure there is no possibility of interference from the HDMI lead wiping out the UHF.

2. Run a System Flush (see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads)

3. Perform a Restore Factory Defaults operation, but note this will result in the unit becoming inoperative if you cannot tune anything during the startup wizard.

I put it in RMA mode and installed the same official version which had been shown on the web interface, 1.02.20, but after reboot was still in the same situation with channel search finding nothing.
Then downloaded and installed the latest official version, 1.03.12 and search found all the channels. The only slight difference appeared to be that I didn't get a prompt to select my region of UK but it looks correct as I have BBC 1 E. Midlands.

Seems that the official version I tried first was not compatible but that is what was shown in the web interface, or was it reporting the original factory installed version which had been subsequently updated automatically.

Anyway everything seems to be OK and I'll have another go at custom firmware some other time, I'm already in big trouble with the rest of the family for disrupting their viewing last night so want to be sure I've got enough time to resolve any issues I might have.

Thanks once again.

Seems that the official version I tried first was not compatible but that is what was shown in the web interface, or was it reporting the original factory installed version which had been subsequently updated automatically.
If it had been updated it would be showing the updated version. Please could you post a picture of the back of the box showing the tuners?

I've had another go at installing the custom firmware, downloaded and installed HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13 which worked perfectly without losing channel tuning.

After going through all the documentation that Black Hole posted, now realise that my first attempt was with HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.20_mod_3.13. I had tried this as description from "Which Version" indicates it has "Faster on-TV Guide" and "No unattended retunes" which I thought would be better as I have lost scheduled recordings in the past.

However it seems to me that, as I lost all channels and an automatic search found nothing, the older version is not compatible with my box even though the horizontal tuner sockets should be compatible with any firmware version.

Anyway, everything is ok now and it's working with the latest firmware.
Thanks for all the help, I've learnt a bit more about it and now feel confident that I can use the custom packages included.

However it seems to me that, as I lost all channels and an automatic search found nothing, the older version is not compatible with my box even though the horizontal tuner sockets should be compatible with any firmware version.
It should, so I strongly suspect...
coincidence

The original hardware has two single-tuner cans (RF-screened sub-assemblies) fitted to the motherboard, one with the UHF input socket and the other with the UHF pass-through socket. The hardware was re-engineered, either because the original cans were no longer available from the supplier or as a bill-of-materials cost reduction exercise. The single dual-tuner can now has both sockets on it (hence the vertical placement), and this is referred to as build "RE".

The RE hardware hit the streets pre-installed with 1.03.06 firmware, and we soon discovered 1.02.xx firmware wouldn't work (IIRC somebody tried rolling it back to 1.02.xx, discovered it wouldn't work, but had no means to restore 1.03.xx!). 1.03.12 is the only version of 1.03.xx that has been rolled out generally, and it has been adapted to work on both original and RE hardware (presumably by detecting which it is running on and making the necessary adaptations). It is possible 1.03.06 is not compatible with original hardware. The changes will be for the appropriate commands to send to a dual-tuner can as opposed to two single-tuner cans, and 1.03.06 may have been RE only.

There is no reason at all to believe 1.02.xx won't work when there are two tuner cans, if 1.03.12 does - changing the build to one dual-tuner can necessitates vertical UHF socket placement, so yours has to be two single-tuner cans.

strongly suspect...
coincidence

I think coincidence can be ruled out. All channels were available up until the point where I installed CFW 1.02.20_mod_3.13 at which time, not only were all channels missing, but retuning automatic search found no channels though they could still be viewed on my TV. Installing official firmware 1.02.20 made no difference, still no channels found on search and TV continued to be OK. As soon as I had installed official firmware 1.03.12 and did an automatic search, channels for my region were found. Then installed CFW 1.03.12_mod_3.13 which went ok and channels were not affected at all.

I have no idea what caused my original problem, must have been some sort of glitch or corruption but everything is now ok.

Back