Interesting Items...

Maybe it is capable of giving the location in finer amounts than .1 but .1 was the nearest to correct.
Or maybe the ad agency cocked up and it should have to said it was reported to the nearest second which is around 101 feet. Be that far away both N and E and Pythagoras tells us that is 43 metres. The further from the equator you are the less distance for a second of longitude so if it was in the USA that could work out. Anyway we are talking about narrowing the search to something about the size of a football field.

Last edited:
BH : By my rough estimation, 0.1 degrees is a span of about 5 miles!
0.1 degrees isn't a fixed distance, at the equator it's about 7 miles, and at the poles it is zero metres, so N89.8 W0.0 is 39 metres away from N89.8 W0.1

Last edited:
so N89.8 W0.0 is 39 metres away from N89.8 W0.1
...but not if it were different by 0.1 degree in the other direction, eg N89.7 W0.1. You're only contradicting my point in one dimension, and in one special area of the globe, as if it need contradicting at all. I take it you are defending the indefensible advert.

Anybody remember a cake which was known in my childhood (for reasons unknown) as a "cheesecake"? IIRC it was a rectangle of flaky pastry with icing and strands of coconut.

Last edited:
IIRC it was a rectangle of flaky pastry with icing and strands of coconut.
Not G-G-Granville's flaky pastry.

Never heard of this form of cheesecake. Looking at the recipe from the BBC Good Food link, if this is what you are talking about, I've neither seen nor tasted it. If only I could get (or make) a really good cheesecake...:hungry:

Anybody remember a cake which was known in my childhood (for reasons unknown) as a "cheesecake"? IIRC it was a rectangle of flaky pastry with icing and strands of coconut.
They used to be common place at bakery shops here in Kent and also called cheesecakes. I've eaten them a few times but only when the rectangular Danish pastries
stuffed with stewed apple and sultanas, iced on top and sprinkled with roasted flaked almonds were sold out.

It is, although the illustrated home-made version isn't a patch on what I used to get from the shops as a treat.
London cheesecakes are sold in co-ops and aldi stores near me, but I do live in the same county as the peacock factory.

I've never lacked them very much. A few years ago when they started to be more commonly available in some of my local shops I didn't think it would last. They've continued to be available and so I got that wrong.
I never liked the jam in the ones I have eaten. After a visit to my local co-op I now have 1 for tomorrow, and a spare, to see if they've improved, or I've changed my mind. Being 3cm and 4cm thick the ones in my local shop are thicker than I remember. The ones I used to occasional be given were more like 2cm thick.

Has anybody here read Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh? Just wondering if it's an interesting read.

In particular, I'm wondering whether the book will answer a question I have: Fermat was reputed to have made a note in the margin claiming to have found a proof for the conjecture a^n + b^n ≠ c^n for any integer a,b,c,n and n > 2, but that the margin was too small to write it in. Was he deluded, or is it that mathematicians have not so far discovered Fermat's proof? I find it hard to believe the modern proof is the same as what Fermat was thinking of.

I found it an interesting read - it ends with the comment that the modern proof is certainly too large to go in the margin, and so many other fields were involved in the proof that it seems unlikely that Fermat could have envisaged a proof of so compact a nature.

Back