Interesting Items...

So Friday the 13th must be lucky an account of it occurring more often than any other day on the 13th?

Work out how many times in the cycle the 13th of the month falls on each day of the week, and there is a very small bias to a Friday.
So there are 146097 days in 400 years. What is the distribution of 13ths to days of the week in absolute terms? I'm too lazy...

Well, if you were to win £100 more often than anyone else, you might consider yourself lucky, wouldn't you?

Well, that's more than what I do. I suppose I am lucky enough not to have a clue about what I am writing. I was lucky enough to win £50 on the premium bonds last month though. If you can really call that lucky, as there is a mathematical formula, the basis of which takes out all the 'luck'.

What is the bias? Why would being more common be associated with "luck", whatever that might be? I don't understand the association.

So there are 146097 days in 400 years. What is the distribution of 13ths to days of the week in absolute terms? I'm too lazy...
I worked it out once, don't ask me to remember the result.
Is that lucky? Why?
Have you never heard of the superstition that Friday 13th is supposed to be unlucky? I'm not saying it is, any more than I believe in astrology, I am only commenting on the superstition.
What is the bias? Why would being more common be associated with "luck", whatever that might be? I don't understand the association.
The bias is only a few parts in 20,000-odd, and the odds of the other days is not evenly spread, but nonetheless there is a slight bias. I don't know that there is any association - it a curiosity that the 13th day of the month is ever-so-slightly more likely to fall on a Friday, and I am making the observation that the superstition of the 13th day of the month falling on a Friday being regarded as an unlucky day is coincidental with this quirk of the calendar. Sometimes coincidences are just coincidences, but occasionally there is more to it than meets the eye - did, for example, whoever it was that started the cult of Friday 13th know that there is this bias? All just speculation.

(I find it hard to believe I have had to spell this all out in such great detail - it's like pulling teeth)

That's because it's non scientific twaddle with non sequiturs. It's always hard to explain that!

Isn't Friday 13th associated with Good Friday, you know, three days before Easter Sunday? It's about as tenuous a connection as any, with 13 people becoming a date in an arbitrary calendar. Then becoming 12 days of xmas!!

Anyway, good things are just as likely to happen on Friday 13ths as bad, so why would anyone notice a bias as small as this one?

Could be another 'cold fusion' event, but even if it's true I think talk of using it for wires, etc, is a bit premature. How the heck they'll be able to scale it to make actual wires or enough to use as rocket fuel I can't imagine. But then current microprocessors were probably unimaginable 40 years ago.

I suppose having it ready to use fusion powered electricity would be a good target :) (so probably not in my lifetime :rolleyes: )

Hmm. Superconducting metallic hydrogen, as long as you can keep it under enough pressure! Go to Jupiter and mine it.

Hmm. Superconducting metallic hydrogen, as long as you can keep it under enough pressure! Go to Jupiter and mine it.

If you believe the quotes that won't be a problem :-

metallic hydrogen is predicted to be meta-stable," Silvera said.

"That means if you take the pressure off, it will stay metallic

They are being a bit too quick to publish for my money, fame at any price, just like cold fusion as mentioned above

Back