Interesting Items...

No Google are scraping (as in the bottom of the barrel) rather than scrapping.
Another Jack of all trades OS?

I thought I was in a time warp last weekend when I saw that Groundhog Day was on Dave ja vu. Talk about the same day repeating over and over. Now it's the same hour. :confused:

Don't know. Found it the other day when clearing under the sink to allow the useless boiler installers access to the stop cock.
Well done. I showed the Woolworth sticker for a purpose. Bit more difficult if it said 13/-.

I have a box of Oxo cubes in the back of my cupboard. The price sticker has fallen off. The box itself says "75 years of Oxo", celebrating their "diamond" (sic) jubilee 1910-1985 (which is about the time my deceased partner moved into this house, before we were together).

I remember entering the competition to design the packaging for that while at school...

Ye gods!

There's a new "part work" out, constructing a model DeLorean. The TV advert says "first two parts £2.99, save £14.99". That makes each issue £9. The fine print says "Usual price £8.99. Complete in 130 parts."

So that's £1,153.71 for a model DeLorean (admittedly quite large) you have to put together yourself, over a period of 2½ years.

I presume the mugs who buy into this haven't done the maths.

I presume the mugs who buy into this haven't done the maths.
Wogan pointed this out ages ago. I've been calculating the costs of these part works ever since. There must be many mugs, otherwise these part work producers would go out of business. What they also forget to tell you is that the first few parts are available at your newsagent. Then the sales at the newsagent are so poor that it is no longer stocked. You then have to order it direct from the part work producer. I wonder how many people give up after only a few parts.

In the world of 'proper' modelling, or railway modelling anyway, the saying was "The manufacturer's profit is in the unbuilt kits."

I hate the term Fake News as it seems to be used to mean 'News I don't like', but this Sky News article dated Today
Certain Sky News presenters give their opinion rather than the news - and that is quite often "news" I don't like. I wouldn't use the term fake news (or, that other overworked phrase, project fear) to describe it. Just an opinion I don't agree with.

Real "fake news" is when misinformation (rather than opinion) is presented as fact, which will be believed by the masses who can't be bothered to verify anything (such as the number of people in the crowd at the inauguration). It is the (deplorable) norm to phrase opinion as if it is incontestable fact ("Donald Trump is the best President ever" instead of "in my opinion...").

Back