Interesting Items...

There is obviously a question about how you correlate 60 satellites over a 2 hour period with just a single report of 6 minutes.
I see what you mean, I don't know why findstarlink.com is so specific when it should indicate a time range - my guess is that it is intended for when the satellites are tightly clustered (and therefore more spectacular). I confess I did not realise they would be this spread out, and I'm sure the press (particularly the weather presenter who alerted me to all this on Monday) didn't look into it either.

Analysing the Heaven's Above figures for tonight (taking the times of maximum altitude, Severn Estuary area), there is a span from 20.56 to 00.55 (I count 132), when FindStarLink just says "21.34". However, in FindStarLink's defence, there is a tighter cluster of brighter predictions starting at 21.34 (first sighting) tonight, with 42 in 30 20 mins. I'll wait to see what the weather is like, but low cloud is predicted.

FindStarLink has also published this: https://findstarlink.com/uk-apr21.html

I have emailed the site dev re managing expectation.

Last edited:
Managing expectations always seems poor.
100,000 tests by the end of the month. Oh yeah who the hell do you think you are trying to kid.
Largest supermoon for three centuries. I didn't notice any difference.
Mars is the brightest it's ever been tonight at 23:57:43 (and has been for about the last three weeks and the next three weeks). etc. etc.
Piss poor.

It's usually just the opposite. Stuff that's actually NVI is hyped up, presumably as advertising or a sort of click-bait.
Exactly. And as such is totally mismanaging peoples expectations. i.e. managing expectations is poor like wot I sed.

This gives a good insight into the distribution of the Starlink 5 Train.
https://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=StarLink5#TOP
The viewing circles and the brightening of the dots on the globe view give an insight into the interaction of sunset and orbit to see when they are or are not illuminated and visible.
After the launch, I presume that a tab will be added at the top of the page for Starlink 6 Train.

all the following are in chronological order
you quote "your mate" said something

Yeah, I think I was too late.

Brilliant (for the spectacle, not so much for astronomers). My mate said about trying again Wednesday, I was dubious because of the spread but if it's a new batch that should be better.

Update: I just checked, and Wednesday's apparition is the same set: 10.34pm tonight and 9.33pm tomorrow (Wednesday). I'll have a look again (what else is there to do?).

The next set is due to launch on Wednesday at 7.37pm (our time), and it takes about 8 hours* for the Earth's rotation to bring UK under the north-eastward track of the initial orbit... but the orbital period is about 90 minutes* so it is entirely possible they won't be overhead when we are under the orbital track. Hmm. I don't know how long it is between launch and separation either.

I will advise any other information I come by.

* My estimates

hairy comes with a proper source

They are spreading out a bit and a little dimmer tonight; between 21:00 and 23:00 (might be a little too light at the start of that). Some are still only 30 seconds apart (so not as close as some of the images on the news of a day or so back.
I use this page https://www.heavens-above.com/Starl...000&lng=-2.0000&loc=Home+is+here&alt=0&tz=GMT
You can set your own home location. and choose the next launch when available.
Their app is good for pointing at the sky to help visualise where to look.

then you ask me why my times are so different to which I answer:

Because my figures are taken from the source given by hairy

You kinda made it up

you then counter with " you made them up" when I've already given my source.

I think you have, not me.

all your posturing about giving correct and also appropriate information gone to the dogs, again.

Last edited:
The next set is due to launch on Wednesday at 7.37pm (our time), and it takes about 8 hours* for the Earth's rotation to bring UK

wtf is that about?

firstly the launch was moved from 7.37 to 7.30 UTC or more appropriately GMT which everyone knows is 8.30 BST.
secondly the rocket will be visible from the uk 10 -15-20 mins after which again is 8.45 BST

Not sure what the visibility of the launch vehicle is. The visibility of the satellites depends on the deployment schedule; is it hours after launch or days?
Bear in mind that the satellites that we are currently talking about were launched on 18th March.

Not sure what the visibility of the launch vehicle is. The visibility of the satellites depends on the deployment schedule; is it hours after launch or days?
Bear in mind that the satellites that we are currently talking about were launched on 18th March.
SpaceX is targeting Wednesday, April 22 at 3:30 p.m. EDT, or 19:30 p.m. UTC, for its seventh launch of Starlink satellites. Falcon 9 will lift off from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. A backup opportunity is available on Thursday, April 23 at 3:15 p.m. EDT, or 19:15 UTC.
Falcon 9’s first stage previously supported Crew Dragon’s first flight to the International Space Station, launch of the RADARSAT Constellation Mission, and the fourth Starlink mission. Following stage separation, SpaceX will land Falcon 9’s first stage on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean. Falcon 9’s fairing previously supported the AMOS-17 mission.
The Starlink satellites will deploy in an elliptical orbit approximately 15 minutes after liftoff. Prior to orbit raise, SpaceX engineers will conduct data reviews to ensure all Starlink satellites are operating as intended. Once the checkouts are complete, the satellites will then use their onboard ion thrusters to move into their intended orbits and operational altitude of 550 km

Which could still take a while before they acquire enough distance to become visually distinct and the train that we hope to see.

Back