Interesting Items...

CiUeVgiXAAAdmcz.jpg

Interesting piles of stuff resting on the Earth's core.

ACORNS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jupiter / Saturn Conjunction, 2020 Dec 21
It has been said in the media, and I noticed it in the local paper again this morning, that when they reach their closest separation their light will combine into a brilliant "star". Of course they will (not). Yet again the press gives astronomy a bad name by building up people's expectations with almost guaranteed disappointment.

It has been said in the media, and I noticed it in the local paper again this morning, that when they reach their closest separation their light will combine into a brilliant "star". Of course they will (not). Yet again the press gives astronomy a bad name by building up people's expectations with almost guaranteed disappointment.
Both are quite dim, hardly exciting.

I will still view the conjunction through smoked glass, though, just in case.😵‍💫

I used to say to David Hughes that being an astronomer in GB must be full of disappointments, what with our weather.

Then, again, he did get an asteroid named after him, and married another astronomer.

I always thought it was Manchester that had the reputation for raining, not Wales.
Wasn't there a sketch or something on a comedy programme years ago with the line "Come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales"? (I think Welsh Nationalists had been burning second homes of English "visitors").

Seen in this month's Scientific American (October 2013):

A planarian (flatworm) has a centralised brain and yet, if you cut off its head it is able to grow a new one in a couple of weeks. Amazingly, somehow it is able to retain a memory for its surroundings and where to find food, despite the decapitation.

Kinder Scout has high rainfall, about 60"/year. Either side, Manchester and Sheffield have far lower figures, but it just feels wetter.

Back