Interesting Items...

The answer is 24 (from 60/5*2 via 12*2). There are no brackets to force 60/(5*2), so it operates left to right.
It's deliberately ambiguous just to annoy people. I'm sure we've had this subject before as well... but I can't find anything.

Last edited:
I got 24 as did 3 calculators I tried afterwards, however, the calculators requires a 'X' to be added so the formula was changed

however, the calculators requires a 'X' to be added
As would a spreadsheet (* for multiply).

BODMAS is not correct (in my opinion). Multiply and divide have equal precedence, so it is not correct to do one or the other first. The best I could quickly come up with on the web to support my recollection of mathematics is:

It is a long-standing convention of mathematics that a/bc means a/(bc)

(from a forum answer elsewhere). Note: not (a/b)c.

It's deliberately ambiguous just to annoy people.
Of course it is. It is also not correct to use implied multiplication when dealing with numbers (arithmetic) rather than symbols (algebra). The ambiguity arises from trying to "type" a mathematical expression (on one line) instead of using horizontal bars to represent division, with the extent of the bar showing the extent of the numerator and denominator expressions (as would be seen in a properly type-set maths book).

I'm sure we've had this subject before
Not to my recollection.

I would ask the question "Is the formula as written mathematically ambiguous ", if it is then it is not acceptable, step forward any maths related professors

I would ask the question "Is the formula as written mathematically ambiguous ", if it is then it is not acceptable
Pretty much my response. I hate quizzes anyway, there's always ambiguity in the question or answer, and a question master who only knows what the book says the answer should be. Like "what is the size of paper 297x210mm?" Answer (as published): X4.

"What gas do plants breathe?" Common answer: carbon dioxide. Reasonable answer: oxygen. Answer covering all bases: depends what you mean "breathe".

BODMAS is not correct (in my opinion). Multiply and divide have equal precedence, so it is not correct to do one or the other first.
The alternative to BODMAS, PEMDAS has mutiply and divide in the opposite order, with 'or' in the notes, I think PEMDAS is newer, I only remember BODMAS from schooldays

Attachments

• 2020-12-17_11.37.47.jpg
    2020-12-17_11.37.47.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 7
I think PEMDAS is newer, I only remember BODMAS from schooldays
And, let's face it, this wouldn't be the first time school learning was too simplistic to be relied on indefinitely. So if your answer is "24", that's because your maths knowledge has not progressed beyond primary school and/or you rely on a calculator. :duel:

Question from a Christmas quiz doing the rounds (and I think the "official" answer is wrong):

60/5(7-5) = ?​

What does the team think (this could start some arguments)?
60/5(7-7)

is more controversial.

Interesting how terminology shifts. I certainly knew these as the EMI scanner, then they were de-badged as "CAT scanners" (Computer Aided Tomography), and now CT scanners (Computed Tomography?). What was the problem with CAT - did people really think they were for scanning cats?

I used to know MRI scanners as NMRI (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging) - I'm not sure whether the N got dropped because TLAs are fashionable/catchier, or because "nuclear" is a worrying term.

And I recently had a bunch of radioactivity squirted into a vein and then cad a PET/CT scan. That was really nuclear.

"CAT scanners" (Computer Aided Tomography), and now CT scanners (Computed Tomography?). What was the problem with CAT
I suspect that originally the scan was more human operated and interpreted, with computer assistance. Nowadays it's probably all done by the computer.

because "nuclear" is a worrying term.
At a time when people think low power radio can give you a virus ... I'm surprised you even need to ask :)

Yes NMR was regarded as too scary for the public, who have no nuclei in their atoms or cells.

Except in Chemistry departments, of course. There is no imaging there it is NMR pure and simple, so there is a distinction.

did people really think they were for scanning cats?
Probably. A lot of people really are stupid. Social media just proves what was always suspected and makes it more visible.
There was a story about a paediatrician getting loads of hassle from the ignorant masses a year or two back. I'm sure you can work out why...

Back