Interesting Items...

:laugh: I knew that post would garner responses from you two. Sorry Trev no tats, no piercings and not even enough hair left to have a parting. @BH anyone who does not find a tie restrictive needs to come out and confront their latent autoerotic asphyxiation desires. :)

anyone who does not find a tie restrictive
That's not your tie, that's your neck size too big for your shirt! Been a bit porky? ;)

Actually a tie has no purpose if a shirt has a top button (which they do). The purpose of a tie is to hold the collar closed, so you can leave the shirt button undone and adjust the tie for comfort.

Seriously though, (Covid notwithstanding) my main interest and occupation revolves around one of the last bastions of formal dress (and I like it that way). I'm saying no more!

Within formal (or at least smart), a tie is the one way to express personality - and they have their fashions and fads. I haven't gone so far as to match a breast pocket handkerchief to the tie, but I have seen it, and then there is the question of toning with your lady's colours (but not match - that's sickly!).

Chances are a tie you've had in the wardrobe for 10 years (even just a plain black one for funerals) is outdated. Scrap those brown ones with stripes! I don't wear black at funerals, I have a selection of dark plain colours such as blue and purple (almost black, but not quite). Sartorial, me!

Actually a tie has no purpose if a shirt has a top button (which they do). The purpose of a tie is to hold the collar closed, so you can leave the shirt button undone and adjust the tie for comfort.
I never seem to have a shirt that fits well enough for me to do up the top button without problems. Therefore the top button is never used - tie or no tie.

I never seem to have a shirt that fits well enough for me to do up the top button without problems.
Do you mean finger trouble with the button or are you just buying shirts that are too small for you.

Like wot E^ sed, with a tie you don't need to do up the top button anyway. C'mon now, smarten yersel' up man.

Do you mean finger trouble with the button or are you just buying shirts that are too small for you.
Yes and yes. Too long in the sleeve, but too small in the neck. (No I do not have a fat neck or multiple chins!) Either I'm an odd shape or the shirts are made in strange proportions. Today I'm wearing one where I could do up the top button, but the sleeves have a habit of resting at the bottom of my thumbnail.
C'mon now, smarten yersel' up man.
Compared to the majority of people nearby I am smart.

Compared to the majority of people nearby I am smart.
:eek:

I agree with the bit about shirt sizing - taking the whole set of measurements just from neck size is ridiculous - and I used to horse-ride so I have a thick neck. I shorten the sleeves on my best shirts.

Not sure what sleeve garters have to do with ties.
They keep your cuffs at the wrist if your neck size is disproportionate to the rest of you - nothing to do with ties per se, but certainly to do with buying a shirt that does up at the neck.

In case anybody is looking for one: 58" 4K smart TV in Tesco for £299, 43" for £199 ("Black Friday" deals, started yesterday :rolleyes:).

Back