Interesting Items...

Shows how appallingly bad biomass is for electricity production, and that's ignoring the fact that biomass is putting more CO2 into the atmosphere than coal fired. Is much less safe to store than coal. As well as giving away loads of jobs to other countries. Just to please a bunch of tree huggers who don't/are not bright enough look at the full picture.
Can't say that about ER according to the DM though.

Planning for open cast mine oop norf turned down. So let's just import the coal instead, creating loads of CO2 transporting it here and giving away jobs to other countries yet again. Madness.

Luckily for me, by the time the lunatics are fully running the asylum, I'll be long gone.

Planning for open cast mine oop norf turned down. So let's just import the coal instead, creating loads of CO2 transporting it here and giving away jobs to other countries yet again. Madness.
There will be nowhere to burn the coal though. Isn't all coal powered generation supposed to be closed by 2025. Shame really. I don't very often see the clouds created from the Ratcliffe on Soar power station cooling towers any more.:(

Yes, that's right. Because of the hysterical vociferous CO2 haters who can only see as far as the UK borders. Bollox to the fact that it causes more CO2 than it would if we mined coal here.
They are tearing down large areas of forest (and planting new trees that will take years and years to replace the ones that they are chopping down). What do trees do? They 'eat' CO2 so let's chop them down an burn them. Stupid.
And no, I'm not talking about the Amazon rain forest here. That is being chopped down for a different reason.

What do trees do? They 'eat' CO2 so let's chop them down an burn them. Stupid.
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there, Trev.

Coal = CO2 stored millions of years ago when there was a lot more of it in the atmosphere than there is now.

Biomass = CO2 stored relatively recently, so returning it to the atmosphere is just continuing the cycle

I think what is being referred to is the grants landowners get for planting new woodland ... which they make room for by chopping down old woodland! :rolleyes:

I can only agree with that BH. But are you actually suggesting that chopping down trees is a good idea? Leave them there to absorb the CO2 released by burning coal.
@gomezz. A I see. The Catch 22 principle involving being paid for not growing alphalfa so they used the grant to buy more land on which to not grow alphalfa.
But if you chop the trees down now, you won't have enough to absorb the CO2 generated now. They don't grow on trees you know. They take a several 10s of years to grow to a reasonable size.

Yes it will. We won't have to import all these stupidly inefficient wood chips that are produced by cutting down trees now, instead of them falling down a few million years ago. And dig up the coal in open cast mines oop norf and create jobs and save shedloads on CO2 producing transport.

Don't forget we are also importing lots of gas for the gas-powered turbines. So much for fuel security. Plenty of British coal - too much pollution, don't bother. British/Scottish* North Sea gas running out - so let's waste it generating electricity and supplement by imports. Renewables - when the sun goes in or the wind is just the wrong speed we're stuffed. Nuclear - sell it to the Chinese and hope. Trees might be all we are left with.

(* delete according to your view)

Leave the coal where it is and just raise the legal driving age to 45.
It should also help sort out the obesity problem.

Kinetic pavements: Even if everyone in the UK walked 150 million steps in their lifetime that would only power the homes in the UK for about seven weeks. (Using Ovo's figures, current population and number of households to make an estimate). The idea that the whole world could be walking on kinetic pavements is laughable. Nice idea, just not practical for large scale generation.
Both pavement generation methods: What happens when the road collapses or there is a water main burst? Pot holes might also be a problem.

Kinetic pavements: Even if everyone in the UK walked 150 million steps in their lifetime that would only power the homes in the UK for about seven weeks. (Using Ovo's figures, current population and number of households to make an estimate). The idea that the whole world could be walking on kinetic pavements is laughable. Nice idea, just not practical for large scale generation.
Both pavement generation methods: What happens when the road collapses or there is a water main burst? Pot holes might also be a problem.
Ok then how about all TV's, computers, games consoles and Hi-Fi instead of being supplied with a 3 pin plug they come with an adaptor that only connects to an exercise bike with a dynamo :).

Australia are phasing out the use of the likes of Adam's Apple and Achilles Heel even though and Adam's Apple is a distinctly male appendage.
You could,t make it up.

On a similar note, junior government staff are campaigning to get rid of the name Churchill Room for the room where he stood on the balcony giving his speeches. Do we want the country run by such juvenile woke plonkers. I don't think so. Sack the bloody lot of them before they take over with all this deleting of history sh1t.

Ok then how about all TV's, computers, games consoles and Hi-Fi instead of being supplied with a 3 pin plug they come with an adaptor that only connects to an exercise bike with a dynamo
Have you got shares in the exercise bike company?

Australia are phasing out the use of the likes of Adam's Apple and Achilles Heel even though and Adam's Apple is a distinctly male appendage.
Some women (and I don't mean trans people) do have an Adam's Apple. Changing the terms such as those you identify is just bonkers.
junior government staff are campaigning to get rid of the name Churchill Room
And replace it with what? Let's hope these junior staff never become senior staff.

Back