Interpret SMART Details

Peso

I have tried, on several occasions, to get my head around SMART HDD details. But they still look like Klingon to me.

My Dad wanted a third T2, in case one of the others died. Got one off eBay that optically looked alright.
Guided my parents through installing the CFW. Ran fixdisk.
All that came up was no lost+found folder, so created one at fixdisk’s suggestion.
Ran it a second time for good measure. Nothing came up and was done in less than 15 minutes.

That sounds good yes.
The overall SMART rating is passed. However when you look at the numbers “raw read error rate”, “seek error rate” and “hardware ecc recovered” all have high raw numbers.
Could someone please advise me if that is anything bad?

Many thanks for reading this.

Attachments

• 1C1FBEE1-87B8-4625-94C6-D9693DE44B15.jpeg
    1C1FBEE1-87B8-4625-94C6-D9693DE44B15.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DBBBF15A-2B69-4B3E-8778-44D65D69776C.jpeg
    DBBBF15A-2B69-4B3E-8778-44D65D69776C.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 23
The stats to watch are Reallocated Sector Count and Offline Uncorrectable.

When the Reallocated Sector Count life left column reaches 0%, there are no remaining spare sectors to swap in for failed sectors (which is how the disk self-repairs). A rapidly increasing raw value indicates something is not well, maybe some contamination has got stuck under a read/write head and is damaging the disk surface.

Offline Uncorrectable represents sectors which have not been self-repaired and require a fixdisk to sort out (if possible).

The WebIF will throw up a warning if there's anything to worry about.

Thank you for the reassurance and the interpretation tip.
I’ll be keeping an eye on drive. Would be awful to lose any Coronation Street or Gardeners World.

when you look at the numbers “raw read error rate”, “seek error rate” and “hardware ecc recovered” all have high raw numbers.
Could someone please advise me if that is anything bad?
As BH has said some of the other fields are the ones to keep an eye out for, and the WebIF will throw up a warning.

If you do want to look further into why high numbers aren't necessarily bad for the 3 fields you mention you could see

Good link on the above post, thank you Luke.
I especially like the line “Seagate's Seek Error Rate, Raw Read Error Rate, and Hardware ECC Recovered SMART attributes create a lot of anxiety amongst Seagate users”.

As my dads been saying about most things he’s bought in the last 20 years “It’ll see him out”

I've also recently purchased a third hand HDR-FOX T2 which also came with a Seagate ST3500312CS.

Any ideas on why the start_stop_count is only 57% larger than power_cycle_count? On my other Seagate HDDs it is 100% larger.

1661792458414.png

One of my HDRs (the oldest one) is reading power cycle 3482 and stop start 6964 (it's rarely turned off). I guess that means within every power cycle there is a start and a stop, and they both get recorded. That also means a reboot does a power cycle.

Your start stop count equals 2^16 - 1, so I guess it's reached its maximum value and been frozen. It's a bit weird that power on hours wraps around but start stop doesn't.

Having removed the Seagate Pipeline HD 2 500GB drive from the FOX T2 I am trying to use smartctl to read and repair it. However, smartctl is unable to read the disk using standard commands, such as smartctl --all /dev/sdc.
What is the Fixdisk equivalent software that can be used when the HDD is attached via a USB bridge to my laptop?.

What is the Fixdisk equivalent software that can be used when the HDD is attached via a USB bridge to my laptop?
What OS? smartctl --all /dev/sdc is only an appropriately formatted command in Linux.

fixdisk (in the CF) is a script which runs commands such as fsck. If you're not using Linux on your "laptop" (I bet it's a notebook rather than a laptop), then you're on your own.

USB bridges are notoriously annoying. Some work OK, others don't. You may need an extra option on the smartctl command.

Back