iOS Weirdness

I went looking for an alternative on eBay, and hit lucky to find a second-hand but little used proper iOS BT keyboard with UK layout! So much better. It has been swapped for the multi-function keyboard now, and I am back to writing a manual*, but I am left with a mystery: what does F4 do?

D6237BC0-421F-4C77-A09E-DE82C78F1930.jpeg

I couldn't find any function when I was experimenting in Notes, it just typed "3". Now I see it in close up the icon looks like a picture of a flower, so maybe it triggers the camera shutter, or even does a screen grab (but got no feedback to that effect), but if so why would it insert "3" into typing? Very strange. F6 isn't marked with any icon (and appears to do nothing at all).
This is not an Apple keyboard, and looks similar to an Omoton keyboard, as sold on amazon. The F4 key is supposed to be for screen capture, but apparently isn't supported on some devices.

1. Apple doesn't understand speech marks and quotes

The quote ' and speech mark " available directly on the keypad (and any keyboard) are non-handed - they stand in as either the start or end mark, but are not the proper typographic quotes and speech marks which are different for start and end. This is easiest to illustrate using a serif font:

Keyboard characters (non-handed): ' "

Typographic characters (handed): ‘...’ “...”

These special characters are accessible from the keypad by a long press of the standard key and then glide to the required character on the pop-up (the pop-up disappears if you take your finger off, so grabbing these screen-shots took a bit of dexterity!):

1592126266718.jpeg

1592126307983.jpeg

Okay so far... except they are displayed on the pop-up menu in reverse order! For the quotes, the open-quote is third from the left, and the close-quote is second from the left. Ditto speech marks: the open-speech is fourth, and the close-speech is third. What's worse, it's not easy to tell that from the pop-up menu - you only find out once the characters are inserted and you have a good look (assuming you are aware of this and know what you are looking for, but in my experience many people don't have the eye for it).

Note that some languages use the subscript version of the mark to open, and the (English) close or open mark to close. Other languages use «...» (and those are the right way around on the pop-up menu!).

Note that if you are using a word processor with automatic punctuation, it is probably substituting the correct mark for you when you just type ' or ".

This seems to have been fixed in iOS14.

Back