IP addresses for YouView update

Michael Thomas

Does anyone know the URL's or IP addresses of the YouView update as I'd like to block it and only update if and when I want to. That will prevent another repeat of the latest ghastly (IMO) user-interface mash-up.

TIA

I suspect that if you block it you will also block EPG updates and all online services such as iPlayer etc.

I'm not convinced about that – for one thing, isn't the EPG in the transmitted data rather than on-line data? I agree the catch-up augmentation could be missing though.

It seems quite likely the Internet traffic for firmware updates will be distinguishable from other traffic, and the box might well "phone home" at a regular time each night to check whether there is anything to download, but it would take somebody with a YouView box and the motivation to record and analyse WireShark network captures in order to work it out.

.... but it would take somebody with a YouView box and the motivation to record and analyse WireShark network captures in order to work it out.
That would be me in the absence of anyone posting what it is. I've already had a quick peek trying to provoke a 'phone home' request but without much success. Next step will be to leave WireShark logging overnight.

As for iPlayer etc, we never use the Humax box for that as it's now too slow post-latest YouView 'improvements'. Our Samsung smart TV is streets ahead for that.

... for iPlayer etc, we never use the Humax box for that as it's now too slow post-latest YouView 'improvements'. Our Samsung smart TV is streets ahead for that.
In that case, do you use the YouView box for any internet stuff (like catch-up TV)? If not, maybe you can stop it talking to the outside world completely by adjusting the firewall rules on the router? It may require a period of trial and error with some adjustments along the way.

But I'd need to know the IP addresses to block. I'd also lose the small thumbnail images that populate the Recorded display if I completely blocked the Humax. They come down the line.

I'd also lose the small thumbnail images that populate the Recorded display if I completely blocked the Humax. They come down the line.
:eek:

Our HDR-FOXes generate the thumbnails internally.

maybe you can stop it talking to the outside world completely by adjusting the firewall rules on the router?
If you didn't need any Internet stuff, shirley you could just unplug the network!

Of course...but those thumbnails are, well, nice to have ! And I prefer a scalpel approach to a sledgehammer.
If you didn't need any Internet stuff, shirley you could just unplug the network!
..... If not, maybe you can stop it talking to the outside world completely by adjusting the firewall rules on the router? It may require a period of trial and error with some adjustments along the way.
I didn't explain myself well.
Depending upon the router and OP's experience, it may be possible to set up a whitelist for the one Humax Youview device. You'll start with very small whitelist and add to it gradually by observing the outgoing destinations that device tries to communicate with.
There are other methods, eg like using a blacklist.

Something is very strange. To test whether I have successfully blocked access to 'phone home' to check if there is an update, I go into Settings and select Update Software. It comes back and tells me that it's up-to-date.

Now the Humax does a multicast to 224.0.0.22 and sometimes 224.0.0.251. I tried blocking access to these ports and went to the Update Software option and I got no complaint of no access to the internet. Bizarre.

So I totally blocked internet access and certainly the small preview thumbnails had gone and the Broadband connection in settings confirmed no internet. BUT...trying Update Software again, it repeated the message...so it looks as if that Update software actually does nothing.

So I'm going with blocking those two IP addresses for the moment.

With access to those two IP addresses blocked, I can still see the thumbnails which is perplexing. Is the block working ? I tried Settings > Update apps and sure enough, the Humax told me that there was no internet access.

What happens if you try Update Software with the internet completely unplugged? Could be reporting as up to date as a portmanteau status message to avoid scaring the horses.

I agree. "Software up to date" could mean "there is no more-recent software that can be found".

@gomezz Update software and Update apps seem to do nothing at all. You can unplug the internet cable and you get the same onscreen response after selecting either of those two options !

@prpr So what mechanism would the Humax use to determine if there was an update waiting ? Just once a month it tries to ring home ?

Back