iPlayer stopped working?

Any news from Humax on a real fix? All it needs is a firmware update that is identical to the previous release but with a new certificate. ....
Another solution would be for the BBC iPlayer back-end not to insist on the certificate. Unfortunately they tied client device verification into the HTTPS connection, which makes that tricky.

Any news from Humax on a real fix? All it needs is a firmware update that is identical to the previous release but with a new certificate. How long can it possibly take to generate that? The certificate can be inserted at binary level if they're not sure they can rebuild the firmware or don't want to take the risk. I sense some heel dragging.
Do you honestly expect an OEM firmware update for a model that's past its life expectancy?

It depends on what sort of reputation they want their brand name to have.
Humax's page linked from the BBC bulletin hasn't been updated. They were clear enough about unsupporting iPlayer on Foxsat and YouTube on HD/R. So either they are working on an update, or they haven't decided to bite the bullet, or they are just going to leave it hanging. If they have promised the BBC to fix the issue, they may be under some pressure. Having said that, a CFO view of what constitutes a fix could be very different from an actual fix.

Do you honestly expect an OEM firmware update for a model that's past its life expectancy?
I am only just getting over them abandoning support of the old Fox Freeview box (non PVR, SD only) leaving it with a bug that it needed powering off and on every time to get the EPG to refresh. Coming up 20 years now. :(

(had that connected to my VCR to record stuff while I watched live using a Pace DTVA as part of my original Freeview set up)

Oooh... just noticed - while cleaning up old browser tabs - the BBC page for the issue - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/issues/bbc-iplayer/humax-playback-fault - now says

* November 2020 * ... This has now been resolved and you should be able to use these BBC apps as you could before. For the most up to date information, visit the Humax Service Announcements page.

Not sure how long that's been there. However the Humax page - https://uk.humaxdigital.com/humax-service-announcements/ - still says

09/10/20
We are aware of a playback issue...

and looks unchanged.

Not actually turned the box on to see if it's magically been resolved (hard to imagine how without a firmware update, unless the BBC have whitelisted the problem certificate or something unexpected).

(Although I can't imagine we'll ever go back to iPlayer on the hummy now we've got the Chromecast.)

A couple of days ago, with iplhack installed, I was able to use iPlayer through the Humax portal and through new-portal; apparently only in the latter case was I shown the BBC's warning that the device might have problems -- possibly it only gets shown once (eg) a day for each Internet-facing IP.

Last edited:
Hello people.

I'm a sometimes user of this forum which has enabled me to solve problems with my Humax HDR-Fox T2 in the past, thank you very much.

I have been trying to use the BBC I-player through the TV Portal for a few weeks and getting the BBC message that there is a problem, they are working on.

So I have come here to see if there is a solution. I have read through this thread but I'm not a "techie" and all the program listings above here, I'm afraid go right over my head. I'm quite happy though to download and install updates or whatever. So my question is: Is there a straight forward solution to this or should I consider that the TV Portal access to BBC I-Player is defunct?

My TV is a Panasonic, maybe 10 years old so the EPG is practically useless and I don't do Netflix or any other subscription services.

I could connect a laptop with the Freeview app I guess but it's a bit of a messy solution.

Any better solutions? A new later Humax perhaps, one which can have the custom firmware installed upon?

Thanks, advice appreciated.

A new later Humax perhaps, one which can have the custom firmware installed upon?
There is no such thing. If you want the CF, it's HDR-FOX (or HD-FOX), or nothing. Newer Humax PVRs are still working with iPlayer (as standard).

Is there a straight forward solution to this or should I consider that the TV Portal access to BBC I-Player is defunct?
iPlayer access might recover, but equally well might not. The solution offered here is to tweak the access mechanism the TV Portal uses so that it bypasses the security checks on the standard access. Again, this isn't guaranteed.

To continue to enjoy iPlayer content using just the HDR-FOX: use the CF qtube package to download from iPlayer (you have to use your web browser to find the necessary URL to the content, and then communicate that to qtube). Once downloaded, the content is available on the MEDIA button as a .mp4 file.

If you use WebIf and are happy to install Beta packages you could have a look at @/df 's workaround :
It is available in Package Management (iplhack)

all the program listings above here, I'm afraid go right over my head. I'm quite happy though to download and install updates or whatever. So my question is: Is there a straight forward solution to this or should I consider that the TV Portal access to BBC I-Player is defunct?
Outline of the steps are:
1/ Preferable update to latest Custom Firmware. I suspect that you are still may be using HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.10.
(The iplhack package may work on that old version but I doubt that many have tried it.)
2/ Via the webif's Package Management screen install opkg-beta. To make this show up on the Available tab you will need to click on its 'Show' Button.
3/ Once you have installed opkg-beta the package iplhack will be listed in the 'Available' list. Install iplhack.
4/ Switch the Humax to standby and wait till you hear the disk stop. If you don't use power saving in standby then you will also need to switch the mains supply off to the Humax for a few seconds.
5/ Turn the Humax on again.
6/ Once you are happy that iPlayer on your Humax is back to its former self you could then uninstal opkg-beta so that you don't accidentally install any other beta packages.

Thank you Luke, you've got me right, that's exactly what I needed. I was hoping to say BRILLIANT, but it does not seem to have worked.

First I installed the upgraded webif package 1.4.8-8. This gave me many more packages and I was able to install opkg-beta. I then found the iplhack package and installed that.

I then set the Humax on standby with the remote, waited for silence + 15 seconds or so, and re started. Then I remembered BH's instruction so I also rebooted the Humax from the Diagnostics screen.

Turned on the telly, hit the TV Portal button, selected I-Player and tried to run a program. After ~30 seconds I got the "Something went wrong loading the programme." screen. Hit OK and it brought up the programme screen to run again but still produced the "went wrong" screen.

I look on my Package Management screen and iplhack is installed but I cannot any longer see opkg-beta anywhere at all.

EDIT: I now see that there is an upgrade of webif available to 1.4.8-11
Should I install this??

I look on my Package Management screen and iplhack is installed but I cannot any longer see opkg-beta anywhere at all.
To have installed iplhack you must have at some point successfully installed opkg-beta.
Now that you have iplhack installed you no longer need to be concerned about installing opkg-beta.

EDIT: I now see that there is an upgrade of webif available to 1.4.8-11
Should I install this??
For what you want, no.
If you go to the 'Installed' tab and click on the 'Show' button then you will be able to see opkg-beta and be able to uninstall it by clicking on opkg-beta's 'Remove' button.
Packages being beta tested (e.g. 1.4.8.-11) will then not appear in your 'Upgrades' tab.

OK, thank you BH. But will that (uninstalling opkg-beta) make the I-Player work??
Hide/Show only affects visibility of advanced packages in the package lists, it does not affect their status. As mentioned above, okpg-beta provides visibility of beta packages in the "Available" and "Upgrades" lists - opkg-beta is an "advanced" package, but iplhack is a "beta" package. (This is all so that novices are not tempted to fiddle with things they don't understand, by keeping them invisible by default.)

If iplhack is installed but not working... like I said, it's not guaranteed. And (like I said) there's always qtube.

But will that (uninstalling opkg-beta) make the I-Player work??
On my first install it did not initially work either and still wasn't working a couple of days later.

What I did that finally got that initial install working was:
First - Reset cookie data via the hidden menu - https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Hidden_Settings_Menu, - but no joy
Second - reboot as per Black Holes suggestion, - but no joy
Third - Switch to standby and then switch power off for about a minute while I went to do something else, - bingo.

Back