Is fixdisk stuck in a loop?

armadale9

I have just bought a second hand HDR Fox T2. It records and plays back but the disk test failed with error 5 and reformatting has not cleared it. I have loaded the Custom Firmware and eventually got fixdisk with automatic correction (-y) running via WebIF and Webshell. It has constantly been showing for about 2 hours:

Running short disk self test
Error at LBA 0
/dev/sda:
re-writing sector 0: succeeded

This just keeps repeating. Does this mean it is stuck in a loop or is it really correcting all these errors? What should I do and how do I get out of it if it is stuck?
I am beginning to think the disk may on its way out.
Many thanks to any replies.

LBA 0 is tricky, it's where the partition table and (maybe) the logical block defect mapping lives. Others know a lot more about this than I.

Thank you for your help. I will add the stats that I think you are referring to. Any help gratefully received.

1591178886190.png

I would say that the reallocated sector count is very high and it is probably time to replace the hard drive.

If LBA 0 has gone west, I don't think it can. Like I said before, you have an easy solution.

It has also been power cycled (on average) every 23 minutes throughout it's life which is a little unusual

That might not be so odd if the owner had it mostly on standby and just waking up to make or play a recording, as might be typical consumer use.

Thanks everyone. I decided to contact the seller and report the disk problem. He has agreed to a refund so problem solved.

He has agreed to a refund so problem solved.
To be picky, a refund does not solve the problem – fitting another HDD solves the problem.

You have a dead HDR-FOX with a good HDD, and a good HDR-FOX with a dead HDD. You need both to make one working unit. If you've agreed a partial refund on the basis that the HDD was not advertised as not working, that's fine, but a full refund seems harsh on the vendor if you want to make use of the rest of the item rather than send it back or bin it.

Back