Is it just me or is VLC no longer working with the hummy

Tim.C

I've used VLC to stream from my HDR-FOX T2 from the days when I had to use another program to browse, and cut n paste the link across.

It worked lovely when VLC added direct uPnP browsing of the box.

However a while back i went to watch a program, an update available message popped up, which of course I did, and then it wouldn't work any more.

I can't remember what the first error was, as I waited expecting an update to fix it, but now VLC always crashes when I try and browse the with the uPnP Devices in playlist.

This applies across all PCs in my house. (I think I did have one that still worked, but can't remember which now - I have many PCs all multi boot)

Just to see, I just went back through some old versions (only just found the link - couldn't find it before) and tried versions back to 2.1.1 all crash.

Is it just me, or has VLC gone weird?

Tim.C

(I have to use XBMC now - which is fine, but really annoying as it doesn't have anyway (that works) of skipping through the program - which is something I do a lot)

Just to see, I just went back through some old versions (only just found the link - couldn't find it before) and tried versions back to 2.1.1 all crash.
I couldn't make the latest version of VLC work but 2.0.8 works fine for me.

Hmmm...didn't go back that far. Will try that.

Still surprised that VLC of all things would be the one to have problems ;)

Well 2.1.0 crashes like all the following versions, and it looks like that is when the playlist was rewritten - at list it looks different! ;)

At least I now know which works. Though I'll be taking a long look at the list of security fixes in the newer versions.

Took mine back to 2.0.8 - and it doesn't work for me! - Presented with black screen, supposedly playing recording, but showing only traffic cone in centre. Used to be able to play on Android, but this also fails with black screen.

I am playing an HD film from my T2 using VLC plugin. No problem so far.

Windows 8.1
Chrome 35
VLC 2.1.3

There is no navigation, though, so I have opened the same in the standalone VLC and navigation is fine.

Have I misunderstood something?

Ah! Just tried in Firefox and it requires activation of the plugin. Refresh the page and it crashes. I can't get it to work at all in IE. Opera is fine. In the interests of science, I just downloaded Safari and that is fine too.

So, either watch in Chrome/Opera/Safari or use the stand-alone player and navigate to the file location.

Back