Is it normal to lose series record if one episode is postponed?

Doppa

This week I noticed Strictly Come Dancing and Who Do You Think You Are had both been lost in series record. SCD had a gap of about 3 weeks and WDYTYA a gap of 1 week. Strangely, I also lost series record on Holby City which had no gaps at all. Is this normal behaviour? They are all on BBC1 so could that have a bearing too?

No that isn't normal behaviour at all!

If there's a gap of more than 7 days then the series record entry should go to the bottom of your schedule list (Guide->Yellow) with dashes against it instead of a date, but once the next episode appears in the EPG it should move back into place. The entries are only deleted if no episodes of the series are shown for 13 weeks.

Have they just disappeared from your schedule? That's odd unless the box decided to retune itself, which it can do with recent software versions, in which case you would have lost your entire schedule.

Yes they just disappeared. I also had Xtra Factor series record set on ITV 2+1 and that disappeared a couple of weeks ago but I wasn't really bothered but now I am as I'm worried it's not a good sign. Unfortunately I do have the latest software version on because I just bought the HDR in June and it was already loaded but it hasn't retuned itself as my other series recordings are still there.

Not sure, but it is worth checking whether you have a "confused" EPG (just to eliminate suspects). Do you have a live channel at 800?

Unfortunately I do have the latest software version on because I just bought the HDR in June and it was already loaded .
How did you manage to buy a box in June with software that was only produced in July ( latest software is 1.02.29 but I wouldn't expect it have any influence on this problem)?

ive had problems with series on the +1 channels quite often, it seems that if theres a clash on the normal channel and i select the later on +1 or a repeat in 4seven, for instance, it'll record that episode and then will not pick up any further episodes. happened last night with fresh meat on ch4+1

Thanks for your replies guys.

Not sure, but it is worth checking whether you have a "confused" EPG (just to eliminate suspects). Do you have a live channel at 800?

No I've got no 800 channels now but did have when I had the Xtra Factor series set up because it was during the digital retune in the second and third week of September but after the second retune they were all gone.

How did you manage to buy a box in June with software that was only produced in July ( latest software is 1.02.29 but I wouldn't expect it have any influence on this problem)?

My mistake. It is 1.02.28.

ive had problems with series on the +1 channels quite often, it seems that if theres a clash on the normal channel and i select the later on +1 or a repeat in 4seven, for instance, it'll record that episode and then will not pick up any further episodes. happened last night with fresh meat on ch4+1

Yes that's what happened to me. There was a clash on the normal channel and it recorded once but no more.

My mistake. It is 1.02.28.

Not a problem. .29 has never been distributed by OTA, it is only available as a download from the beta site.

Yes that's what happened to me. There was a clash on the normal channel and it recorded once but no more.

If you are recording from minority channels, you can expect this kind of thing. The broadcasters don't take enough care of the codes which control the recording behaviour. It does not explain losses on BBC though.

You said these reservations had completely disappeared from the schedule (Guide >> yellow), and not just pushed down the list to the --/-- entries. I don't think we've ever seen anything like that (without the schedule being completely erased). Are you absolutely sure nobody's been fiddling with the remote control?

It's possible you never set them for series record in the first place, but even if you did, by viewing the reservation in the schedule and then exiting by OK rather than Cancel (or Back, or Exit) would convert the reservation to manual, with no series linking and no AR/auto-padding. A non-series recording would delete from the schedule list having recorded.

I must admit I didn't look at the schedule before I re-entered the series recordings again. I was just looking through the EPG on Tuesday and happened to notice that Holby City (BBC1) wasn't set to record and yet The Paradise (BBC1) which is on immediately after was still set up. Dallas on Channel 5, BBC Click on Channel 80, Dragon's Den (BBC2) and others were still there. If it was still in the schedule would it have allowed me to set up series record again without some kind of warning?

Definitely sure the remote hasn't been fiddled with as it's only me who uses it.

Yes they definitely were set for series record as I have the folders and some have episodes I haven't watched yet still in them. I rarely look at the schedule as I use the EPG a lot and know more or less what I've got set to record but I would have had to exit with OK three or four times, one for each series to delete them so that isn't likely. I did get last week's episode of Holby and Strictly Come Dancing so now I'm beginning to wonder if I could have just reset them to record one programme instead of the series. On the other hand, I could understand maybe doing it once but not three or four times. I'm baffled!

I can confirm that series recordings are vanishing.

I recieved a message last week from someone I look after that their series recordings of a particular program had stopped.
Assuming an "acidental" deletion I put it back - but it went again so I set the same series on my own box.

The series is a program called "Gilmore Girls" on channel 5* at 2pm and 4pm weekdays.

This series recording has now vanished entirely twice from my box and having re-instated it the day before yesterday
I now see that the 4pm recoding has vanished leaving just the 2pm one for today.
The first time it vanished on my box the program was actually broadcast.
Today however the program has been replaced by "ghostbusters" which explains the missing entry entirely.
The 2pm recording is still set today.

However - the 4pm recording for tommorow (Friday) has vanished from the schedule (yellow button) listing whilst
still showing up as to be recorded in the TV guide listing ie the series record icon is still there.
i.e. It still is scheduled for broadcast and marked as such but the recording side of my humax box has lost it.

This suggests to me that the issue may be finger trouble at the broadcast end.
Does that sound reasonable to those who know how it works? Or could it be something ese?

I don't think the schedule shows more than one pending recording in any particular series set, so if your 4pm tomorrow recording is the same series as the 2pm today, you will have to wait for today's recording to complete before the next one gets scheduled. If there are no further episodes in the current EPG data set, that's when the reservation gets parked at "--/--".

The "set for recording" markers in the EPG seem to work independently from the schedule, and somehow look ahead to match SRIDs.

I still don't understand the entire series disappearances though.

I now see that the 4pm recoding has vanished leaving just the 2pm one for today.

That's normal if they share the same CRID. You can sometimes press right from the schedule to see other episodes that will be recorded. Once the 2pm episode has recorded or been missed, it should change to record the 4pm one. Might require a standby/boot cycle though.

Jack, have you got CRIDs set to display (via hidden service menu - see Things Every...)?

When you bring up the programme information from the EPG you will be able to inspect the programme and series CRIDs, and get some insight into what's going to record and what isn't. Series recordings record programmes with the same SRID (series CRID) that do not have the same PRID (programme CRID) as an existing recording (I don't know how that works - whether it relies on data from existing recordings or if the data is accumulated in a database).

I know about the sub menu - they are flagged at the top of the schedule by a message in blue
These recordings are just vanishing.
My guess would be something related to schedule changes isnt happening at the broadcast end as
it seems a coincidence that a series (I have just been told by the person that watches it) that gets
"messed about with" is the one spotted as causing a problem here. (Apparently it was started to broadcast
earlier in the year - then just stopped and resumed months later then suddenly the 2pm broadcast was started)
I seriously doubt an actual fault is to blame but there is no doubt that series recordings are vanishing for some reason.

I'll take a look at your CRID suggestion later BH - (I know about the hidden menu) - right now I'm just taking a tea break from a soldering job
that will keep me working for a while.
Its not a big issue for me to deal with I just thought I'd make the confirmation.

SRID and PRID info is also available on the Web-If screens under Web-If >> Scheduled Events >> [Click on Program] >> Schedule Details If you have Custom Firmware installed

schedule-details.jpg

The more I've been thinking about this I've realised that there are other series recordings that have been lost.
  • All Star Mr. & Mrs. (ITV1)
  • The Martin Lewis Money Show (ITV1) - this had a postponed episode last week but had disappeared this week
  • I'm fairly sure Not Going Out (BBC1) had to be re-set but could be wrong.
I just assumed it was all to do with the digital retune and didn't take all that much notice until now.

P.S. Ezra, are the triplicated posts just a mistake or is there something up with the site as I haven't had any email notifications today that there have been any updated posts.

Ezra, are the triplicated posts just a mistake or is there something up with the site as I haven't had any email notifications today that there have been any updated posts.

There was something wrong with the forum site and also I was a bit impatient, I submitted #16 and got a 'time-out, try again' message, twice and then obviously all 3 turned up 10 Mins. later, I then tried to edit one of the dulicates to ask a moderator to delete the duplicates but the edit got bounced as well. I guess the edit must have finally arrived as the duplicates have now gone

There was something wrong with the forum site and also I was a bit impatient, I submitted #16 and got a 'time-out, try again' message, twice and then obviously all 3 turned up 10 Mins. later, I then tried to edit the one of the dulicates to ask a moderator to delete the duplicates but the edit got bounced as well. I guess the edit must of finally arrived as the duplicates have now gon
I noticed the duplicates, and deleted them for you.:)

Back