Is it possible to watch HDR-Fox T2 on Apple tv

Robti

Hi I just wondered if it was possible to do the above using file sharing of some sort, have the fox in the living room hard wired to the router and want to watch it in the bedroom which has an Apple TV connected wirelessly to the network ?
Thanks

I have an Apple TV box (as a means to cast from the iPad to the TV). It doesn't do anything useful like that as far as I can make out. The best you would be able to do is use the iPad to play the content from the HDR-FOX and mirror it to the TV.

Out of interest, what do you use your Apple TV for?

Hi thanks for the reply, at the moment I use it for catch up and Netflix and amazon prime and music also sometime to view or listen stuff I have ripped from my server if I can’t be bothered loading a disc

No only watch tv in the morning and recordings from the night before or catch up on recordings made previously, night time is Apple TV, except for the weekend then it’s watching discs

I just thought I could use the Apple TV’s file sharing as I do with the server to save getting another box for the bed room, but then again I very rarely watch tv in the bedroom, just when reading other posts I just wondered

If you already use the Apple TV to access a NAS (I didn't know it could do that), there is no reason you can't make the HDR-FOX function as a NAS.

First try (CF not needed) is to turn on Content Sharing: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On, and see if the 'Fox then shows up as a server (you may need to give it some time). This will provide DLNA access to StDef recordings only.

With CF, you can set up the 'Fox as a SMB or NFS NAS, and all recordings are then available to stream to a compatible client once decrypted. Instructions for this are not appropriate here, but are all covered in the CF section of the forum. For information about decryption, see Things Every... (click) section 5 (and links from there).

Can you not watch TV on it then?:D
It won't do that!

What next? An iPhone with no connection to the cellular network? An iCloud with no method of retrieving documents? :rolleyes:

An Apple TV box is meant for enabling Apple TV services (Internet streamed, or mirrored from an iDevice) - not for duplicating existing TV functionality.

I'm not an Apple apologist, just explaining the facts.

Thank you for that. So they should really call it a monitor not a TV? As surely a TV by definition should be able to receive and display TV transmissions. Else it ain't a TV.

Ah. Forgot we were talking about Apple here.

Thank you for that. So they should really call it a monitor not a TV? As surely a TV by definition should be able to receive and display TV transmissions. Else it ain't a TV.

Ah. Forgot we were talking about Apple here.
Not a monitor because it doesn't even have a screen!

It is is a small set top streaming box like Now TV and others.
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-tv/apple-tv/apple-tv-32gb

(The phrase set top box is also a misnomer these days since you cant perch anything on top of a modern TV)

Just to update this thread, yes you can watch recorded programs on an Apple TV using an app, only problem now is I have to leave the living room hdr Fox t2 on

Just to update this thread, yes you can watch recorded programs on an Apple TV using an app, only problem now is I have to leave the living room hdr Fox t2 on
Surely not a surprise, you can use reminders to wake it up at likely times for remote watching

That's interesting. Maybe it does HDCP (probably not - if it were a standard Apple function it might). I'll have a play.

No apps on my Apple TV - maybe because it's an old one (I only bought it so I could Airplay).

It does offer to connect to computers on the network, but only via iTunes.

Back