Is my HDD dead

Thanks BH for your excellent article. Now, having followed your troubleshooting guide, I have determined that the fan is OK but the board isn't supplying it with the required volts. So I have the Hummy in bits on my desk; is there any reason why I shouldn't simply install a patch wire (on the underside of the main board) from the 12v pin on the HDD connector to the 12v (middle) pin of the fan connector? Of course that is stuffing 12v into the 'wrong' end of the fan controller, but if it's broken anyway will that matter?

Is it actually a missing voltage? Or is it a dry joint on the back of the PCB plug. I 'dry jointed' mine whilst trying to get the fan connector off.
If you connect 12V directly, the fan will run flat out all the time and sound like a 747 on take off.

Is it actually a missing voltage? Or is it a dry joint on the back of the PCB plug. I 'dry jointed' mine whilst trying to get the fan connector off.
Once again with my message this time :)
Pretty sure it's a missing voltage. Have checked for dry joints. The fan hasn't worked for months, but runs fine when connected to a battery. I have the custom firmware and have set the fan to run all the time but it still doesn't go.

I would be inclined to make a connection to the fan cable rather than on the PCB, you have no idea what effect it might have. If you have it all in bits, it shouldn't be difficult to get the fan plug off the PCB - but it's also not that hard to stuff wires up the fan socket.

I would be inclined to make a connection to the fan cable rather than on the PCB, you have no idea what effect it might have. If you have it all in bits, it shouldn't be difficult to get the fan plug off the PCB - but it's also not that hard to stuff wires up the fan socket.
I did think of taking the connector off the PCB, but it looked rather fiddly and I have limited de-soldering equipment (and skills!). So I took the plunge and wired it up on the back of the PCB. The fan is surprisingly quiet, it certainly won't be a problem, and everything appears to be working OK and there's no smoke (always a good sign in my opinion). Thanks everyone (especially Black Hole and Trev) for your help.

I did think of taking the connector off the PCB, but it looked rather fiddly and I have limited de-soldering equipment (and skills!). So I took the plunge and wired it up on the back of the PCB. The fan is surprisingly quiet,
Rather fiddly???? It's only two pins and if you can solder to one of them, surely you can heat them both out and pluck the plug from the board. Ah well, it's done now and works. Result.

So where's my "like" then? I know it's not good form to point it out, but there is a button at the end of posts (in this case the fan article) to give a vote of thanks, and too few people use them!
Good point, sir: doing it now. Must do better. Can't get the staff!

Rather fiddly???? It's only two pins and if you can solder to one of them, surely you can heat them both out and pluck the plug from the board. Ah well, it's done now and works. Result.
My connector has three pins. BH said that the third wire isn't used, but on my board it's connected to something - even if it isn't used. An I know I'm a wimp, but I didn't have any desoldering braid to hand. :(

Back