Is my HDD dead

free30

I started my Humax HDR today and it would not boot.
After playing around I seemed to get it to boot but it is not seeing the disk.
I go tot telnet and run disk 'diag' and got the response below.
I couldn't get into Maintenance mode as it never finishes stating up.

I'd really like to keep any recordings I can, guess I plan to install new HDD and then try and access this one through USB to copy files across.

Any advise or support welcome :)

Warning: Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Warning: Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Warning: Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Error: /dev/mtdblock6: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock5: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock4: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock3: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock2: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock1: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock0: unrecognised disk label
Disk /dev/sda: 2000 GB, 2000396321280 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907024065 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2048 2107391 1060258 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 2107392 3885524991 1941704257 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 3885524992 3906506751 10490445 83 Linux

[: bad number

Warning: Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Warning: Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Warning: Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
Error: /dev/mtdblock6: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock5: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock4: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock3: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock2: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock1: unrecognised disk label
Error: /dev/mtdblock0: unrecognised disk label
/bin/sh: awk: not found
[: 0: unknown operand
* OK * - partiton is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton Disk is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton 255 is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton Units is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton Device is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton /dev/sda1 is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton /dev/sda2 is properly aligned.
* OK * - partiton /dev/sda3 is properly aligned.

Press return to continue:

Thank you.

So it was booting without the HDD. Then once reattached it still booted but would not recognize the HDD.
I then notice excessive heat and the fan was not moving. So I replaced the fan. Still no HDD recognized.
I then connected the HDD to a linux machine and all three partitions were there with all my files ok.
I run a disk check which didn't seem to highlight anything.
Then I put it all together again and its working now with new fan.

Still not sure it was the fan, is there not another turn off safety if it get too hot?

I am using Fan Speed. I also noticed that the new fan would not turn on the 35%min i had set to. So I increased it.
I wonder whether this low level had reduced the fans life; then again I've been using it every day for a good few years now.

Many thanks for your support.

It would be useful if you gave us details from the Web-If of your HDD temperature figures (Worst figure on line 190), in this example the figure is 58 Deg. C

2018-02-11_11.31.20.jpg

This is in Diagnostics >> Disk Diagnostics

O.k. so in your case it is the 73 Deg. C in line 194 which does show a fan failure, I would keep an eye on the Wef-If >> System Monitoring >> Disk Temperature and maybe install the tempmon package, where you can setup an alert if the system temperature rises above a pre-set figure e.g. :-

tempmon.jpg

You may want to set the Alert at say 57 Deg C which will only be reached when the 'Fan' package reverts to normal 'Humax' mode

Last edited:
But line 194 is titled Temperature_Celsius. Dose that not give a clue as to the units?

But line 194 is titled Temperature_Celsius. Dose that not give a clue as to the units?
It tells you what units the value in the Raw Value column is in but I think the values in the other columns are normalised (between 0 and 200 for all parameters).

Not sure that even that is right. Look at EP's Airflow temp. One increases as the other decreases in the three columns.

Are you sure about that? If you look at the values you posted the entries in the Value, Worst and Threshold columns are not in deg C.
My figures in #5 are from a factory fitted 500GB HDD and seem to be consistant with 'actual' Degrees C, the unit had only been out of standby a matter of minutes so my 22 Deg. C seems real enough, my worst value of 58 Deg. C is consistant the Humax fan routine which turns on at 56 Deg. C.

As for the non factory fitted HHD that free30 has fitted who knows how the manufacturers fill those perametres?, maybe free30 can supply us with data now the fan is working, but a Worst of 73 Deg. C seemed to fit with what free30 was finding, wouldn't you agree?

EDIT

Here is a typical start-up temperature for my Humax
HDD-Temp.jpg

Last edited:
My fan appears to have failed too. Where did you get your replacement, please? (currently running with the top casing off to keep it cool!)
I had a spare Humax so I took it out of that. I still need to get one, guess ebay will be the place I'd buy one from. '50mmx50mm brush-less fan'

Yes, I know that, but it just took about 5 mins to find it and I knew what I was looking for.
Unless someone reads it with a fine toothed comb, the fact that the fan connector is not a PC 'standard' 2.54 mm pitch motherboard plug can quite easily be overlooked.
I was just trying to bring free30's attention to the fact unless he hadn't read/missed the bit in your excellent guide, because he might be a bit like myself and just go at it with the attitude "It's only a bloody fan. What could possibly go wrong? I don't need a guide to change one of those things." And then promptly come unstuck trying to fit the plug having stripped it down. Obviously the solution is to splice new and old cables as you suggest. But be aware that this will probably need doing, so have the soldering iron and insulating tape/heat shrink at the ready.

Back