Is the BBC re-using series CRID's very quickly?

Matthew

The series Watership Down (Broadcast 22/23 December 2018) was recorded and then not deleted from the schedule, now I find the box is recording Wanted Down Under based on the same scheduled item! The CRID is SCRID:/X48O83

Is this usual? why would the BBC re-use a CRID so quickly?

That CRID format will give about 2 million permutations I reckon. If you multiply the number of possible (say 15 minute) programmes over a month and 150 channels it's going on 500,000. So I'd imagine each channel is allocated a finite block of CRIDs. Reusing them after a month or so (they may just be put back in the pool after a month and then picked at random) seems reasonable even if not strictly necessary.
Similar with mobile phone numbers - if not used for a few months they can get recycled.

The series Watership Down (Broadcast 22/23 December 2018) was recorded and then not deleted from the schedule, now I find the box is recording Wanted Down Under based on the same scheduled item! The CRID is SCRID:/X48O83

Is this usual? why would the BBC re-use a CRID so quickly?
I had this too, though didn't investigate how I ended up with Wanted Down Under.

Is the schedule expiry period tweakable? Or could webif tidy up (perhaps restricted to one-offs).

Four weeks seems a short period to elapse before recycling (if that is what is happening). Sometimes programmes take longer breaks than that. During the World Cup, for example.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That CRID format will give about 2 million permutations I reckon. If you multiply the number of possible (say 15 minute) programmes over a month and 150 channels it's going on 500,000. So I'd imagine each channel is allocated a finite block of CRIDs. Reusing them after a month or so (they may just be put back in the pool after a month and then picked at random) seems reasonable even if not strictly necessary.
Similar with mobile phone numbers - if not used for a few months they can get recycled.

Yes, but this is a Series CRID (SCRID) not an individual programme CRID, I don't think any channel has that many series starting in a 1 month period.

I have also noticed, fairly recently (November), the same series crid being used for 'Inside out' and and the BBC local news at ten thirty on the same day,
whilst both News related they are very different programmes and should have had different crids. (They do now)

To compound the issue the BBC don't use episode crids for the local news so I couldn't skip the unwanted programme.

Back