Is there a way to read exfat SD / USB cards?

If that doesn't fix it, then your only realistic option is to re-make the filesystem (i.e. format it).
See here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card:
Risks of reformatting
Reformatting an SD card with a different file system, or even with the same one, may make the card slower, or shorten its lifespan. Some cards use wear leveling, in which frequently modified blocks are mapped to different portions of memory at different times, and some wear-leveling algorithms are designed for the access patterns typical of FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32. In addition, the preformatted file system may use a cluster size that matches the erase region of the physical memory on the card; reformatting may change the cluster size and make writes less efficient. The SD Association provides freely-downloadable SD Formatter software to overcome these problems for Windows and Mac OS X.

SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. Neither standard formatters nor the SD Association formatter will erase it. The SD Association suggests that devices or software which use the SD security function may format it.

Thanks all for the replies and bearing with me.... I've got some god news - I've been holding off using chkdsk as my past experience has been that it's a one way road and sometimes chkdsk can make things worse but on this occasion I'm happy to say that it fixed the issues. This is the report...

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk f: /F
The type of the file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 0000-0000
Corruption was found while examining the boot region.
Windows is verifying files and folders...
An error occurred while examining files and directories.
Corruption was found while examining files and directories.
Corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap.
File and folder verification is complete.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

62334976 KB total disk space.
   4246400 KB in 595 files.
      1536 KB in 12 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
       256 KB in use by the system.
  58086784 KB available on disk.

131072 bytes in each allocation unit.
    486992 total allocation units on disk.
    453803 allocation units available on disk.

It's now returned my SD card back to health and I can view my files. All backed up now!

So something upset the boot record then? I'm not suggesting that the dd process alone did it but maybe it was a combination of things as I was trying such as repeatedly trying to mount. Even better news... I've now plugged the sd card back into the humax and happy to say it's working and I can see all the files etc.

So perhaps I'll run chkdsk straight off next time! ;)

Thanks all for your help.

Rodp

Filesystem corruption - sometimes happen if user forgets to
"safely remove hardware" in Windows or
on the HDR (WebIF - eject icon top left) or
similar issue on anything requiring write access to device.

Just checking, is there a way to safely remove the SD card from the humax without Webif?

Thanks

Rodp

Back