I've messed up. Can anyone help?

Hi David, Thanks for your input. When I try ping cmd giving 4 lines of data stating reply from 169.254.221.22 (hummy ip) x 4 lines@ 32bytes and then it says under statistics 4 packets semt & recieved. So it has established a connection
The main thing I want to achieve is to get the box to show the custom portal so that I can use my skygo on my box.
I managed to get it on my 1st attempt at downloading the firmware from the wiki download centre., but then was mucking about with downloads in the custom portal interface on my laptop. Next thing when I restarted the box to get the multiple downloads loaded everything stopped working and I could not even go on to the offical portal through the box. As you have probably read I have reset the box back to factory settings and re installed the offical and them custom firmware, in the hope I could then put the hummy IP address in the toolbar like before and download the custom portal from there and start watch sky through my box again.

Why do you have such an unusual IP address? Is that something you manually set on the Humax configuration screen, or perhaps a default from the factory reset? I don't think your network would be very happy with it as it is on the wrong subnet.

In a situation like this it is best to start from scratch and take an absolutely methodical approach, make no presumptions, and eliminate as many factors as possible. I always advise using the simplest possible network arrangements until you have something working, and that means a direct wired connection. David_Brown_UK usefully tells us you need a cold start to switch between a wired network and a WiFi dongle, I didn't know that.

Forget the custom software for the moment, you need to concentrate on why your Humax cannot access the standard TV portal using the standard firmware. I see no need to reset to factory, but it can do no harm. Revert to standard firmware if you currently have the custom firmware installed. Connect to the router by wire if at all possible, and set the Humax to DHCP.

Once you have re-established connection to the standard TV portal (thus proving the network), you then might consider re-introducing WiFi (though I would prefer to leave that until later). Check you can get FTP access from your PC (needs to be enabled at the Humax).

When you get that far, install the custom firmware and confirm you can see the initial browser control panel (if the /mod folder is already present from previous attempts, you might go straight to the full WebIF), then initiate the custom software download (if necessary).

Why do you have such an unusual IP address? Is that something you manually set on the Humax configuration screen, or perhaps a default from the factory reset? I don't think your network would be very happy with it as it is on the wrong subnet.
That is an auto ip link local address (169.254.xxx.xxx). It is the default when the Humax is set to DHCP mode but no DHCP server is found. It allows devices to be connected to form an ad-hoc network. However, there is no gateway so it is not useful for connecting to the internet.

Morning black hole. The unusual ip address was when i followed davids and an earlier suggestion from yourself to connect the box to the pc using the cat5 cable.
But can i just clarify incase it got lost along the way, that I do have access to the humax portal bbc iplayer etc both using my dongle and wired connections. Everything is connecting fine (and quickly)
The issue is after a factory reset, the downloading the official firmware and then the hummy firmware, i cannot access the custom firmware to download the sky player. But i still have access to the bbc player etc throught the offical tv portal

That is an auto ip link local address (169.254.xxx.xxx). It is the default when the Humax is set to DHCP mode but no DHCP server is found. It allows devices to be connected to form an ad-hoc network. However, there is no gateway so it is not useful for connecting to the internet.

Fair enough.

Morning black hole. The unusual ip address was when i followed davids and an earlier suggestion from yourself to connect the box to the pc using the cat5 cable.
But can i just clarify incase it got lost along the way, that I do have access to the humax portal bbc iplayer etc both using my dongle and wired connections. Everything is connecting fine (and quickly)
The issue is after a factory reset, the downloading the official firmware and then the hummy firmware, i cannot access the custom firmware to download the sky player. But i still have access to the bbc player etc throught the offical tv portal

The situation is better than I had read into it then. I think it probably boils down to a misconception somewhere rather than a technical problem.

Let me clarify: you installed the custom firmware by USB, and the "download successful" message appeared on the TV following which you rebooted. Have you then accessed the limited web interface using http://<your Humax IP address> on your PC browser and pulled down the full custom software, or have you got stuck at this point?

hello xyz 321 & blackhole. Yes just to clarify I have installed the custom firmware by USB and got the "download successful" I did indeed at that point access the limited web interface using the the humax IP address, which was accessible on every device I have, I was easily able to access the web interface portal through, my PC, IPAD, & Iphonbe. I did also access the the sky player at the begining. But when I was playing about with it and downloading random applications from the web interface using my pc. At this point I had downloaded several of such applications, I was going upto my bed, I restarted the box to get the additional packages I had downloaded and thats when the problems started. I had to reinstall the hummy and then install the original firmware and then the customised firmware both of which showed as being successful, but ever since I have not been able to access the web interface through any of my devices toolbars. I do still have the original humax portal though.

Still plugging away here, can I also point out that when I try to connect to the web interface using the humax ip in my toolbar I more often than not get a search engine result on ip addresses.

However I do occassionally get an internet explorer message "cannot display the web page". When I click to diagnose the problem, it comes back saying "the remote device wont accept the connection" It doesn't tell me why its not accepting it though.

I have deffo done everything required for the download process for the custom firmware though. ie renaming the file etc. Successful download shows. I just dont know where its gone wrong. I feel personally it was messed up originally becuse of the multiple applications I tried to download all at once. I should have just left well alone and been happy with the sky player.

I think this must be another example of the lock-ups that a few other people have had, causing mongoose (the web server) to go down and stay down. I'll have a hunt for the posts refering to this, in the mean time somebody might provide the steps needed to reset everything and start again (I think you need to remove the /mod folder to clear out all the history, so you can start fresh from the download web page).

For starters (and you will need this anyway), please check whether you can get Telnet access to the command line. You will need to install PuTTY on your PC, or find the Windows native version and enable it - there's some information on the Wiki HERE (click). With a Telnet window open on your PC, you should be able to make contact with the Humax operating system command line (made possible by the custom firmware) using "o <IP address>" ( o for open), and hopefully will see a "Humax#" command prompt to let you know you're in.

Having done that you can try resetting the custom software as described HERE (click), or await further instructions.

If you can telnet into the box then try typing "service", you should see a list of installed and running services similar to the following:

Code:
humax# service

Name                Installed  Autostart  Running
----                ---------  ---------  -------
mediatomb            Yes        No        No
dropbear            Yes        No        No
transmission        Yes        No        No
samba                Yes        No        No
nfs                  No        No        No
cifs                Yes        Yes        Yes
mongoose            Yes        Yes        Yes
betaftpd            Yes        Yes        Yes

Syntax:
        service start <service>
        service stop <service>
        service auto <service>          (toggles autostart)

If mongoose is not running then start it with "service start mongoose". If autostart is not enabled for mongoose then enable it using "service auto mongoose".

Still plugging away here, can I also point out that when I try to connect to the web interface using the humax ip in my toolbar I more often than not get a search engine result on ip addresses.

Put "http://<IP address>" into the address bar instead of the search engine bar.

no i do do that. Always in the address bar, its just sometimes it brings search engine type reselts.

This telnet business seems a bit awkward. I have been seaching the forum to see how to remove " the /mod folder to clear out all the history, so you can start fresh from the download web"

I have downloaded putty, its asking me to "select executable for puTTY connections. I take it I should be search for the hummy here, I click the browse button on it but all I can see under networks is my PC, Ive tried to find the box through both wired and wireless connections but its not showing as an executable.

I think the best thing would be to get everything removed, then then if a factory rest doesnt do that I suppose I will need to access the box in someway to remove the mod folder .

I don't understand this "select executable" business, I don't think it is anything to do with the actual link to the Humax - more to do with the installation of PuTTY. Once you have it installed properly (maybe there's some help on line?) all you need to do is open a connection to your specified IP address.

Once you have the Humax# prompt just follow the instructions already linked to.

Black hole, what can I say. Your a legend!!!!!!!!! I got telnet working. Connected with the Humax# straight away. I then went into the link above and followed all the instructions and I am over the moon to tell you I have successfully installed the full web interface again and I can now access SKYGO again.

I cannot believe how helpful you've been and I can only say a BIG thank you.

One more thing. Do you know where the paypal donation link is? I'd like to make a donation to the site as I have nothing to offer you in return.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed

Donations for the upkeep of the forum can be made on the main forum page HERE (click) - on the right near the bottom. Beer money for AF123 for the work he's done on the custom firmware/software can be donated via the Remote Scheduling web site HERE.

I managed the donation to this site but I can't do the link you provide for af123 its asking for my e-mail & password. Ive went on the site and cant find anywhere on the hummypkg.org.uk website

I managed the donation to this site but I can't do the link you provide for af123 its asking for my e-mail & password. Ive went on the site and cant find anywhere on the hummypkg.org.uk website
You need to be registered for the Remote Scheduling service to access that site. If you add the rs package from the web interface Package Management page, you can register your email address from the webif Settings page.

Back