Jekyll and Hyde

MontysEvilTwin

Last night's episode of Jekyll and Hyde was postponed. It will probably get pulled at some point, but the episode in question is available on Android ITV player. It is not on other versions of ITV player though (e.g. iOS, YouView).

I think you are missing the point. I think what is being said is that the episode on the ITV Hub is out of step with what has been broadcast?

I think you are missing the point. I think what is being said is that the episode on the ITV Hub is out of step with what has been broadcast?
The thread title and OP are not exactly specific about what the 'complaint' is we should be discussing and I have obviously interpreted it differently.
I was assuming that whatever was deemed unsuitable for 'public' broadcast (ie. might be seen by people who just have the TV on as wallpaper) was considered OK for internet type viewing where you have to actually go and find/play each programme.

the episode in question is available on Android ITV player. It is not on other versions of ITV player though (e.g. iOS, YouView).

I was assuming that whatever was deemed unsuitable for 'public' broadcast (ie. might be seen by people who just have the TV on as wallpaper) was considered OK for internet type viewing where you have to actually go and find/play each programme.
Should I be offended that I have 2 Youview recorders and therefore by that logic I am not mentally suited to experiencing viewing the episode? :D

They have noticed now and removed next Sunday's episode from the hub. To clarify, on the weekend before last, Jekyll and Hyde was not shown because there was a shoot-out scene in that episode and it was deemed inappropriate the day after the events in Paris. However, the episode was made available on the Android version of ITV Player the same evening, presumably in error. The episode was not taken down until the following Wednesday. This episode was then broadcast last Sunday and, presumably in error, both this episode and the next one (now rescheduled to be broadcast next Sunday) were made available on the Android version of ITV Player/ Hub.
I wasn't making a complaint, just giving a heads up in case anyone wanted to watch either episode pre-broadcast.

Should I be offended that I have 2 Youview recorders and therefore by that logic I am not mentally suited to experiencing viewing the episode? :D
YouView owners seem to be at the bottom of the heap. With the latest software update, you can now only watch ITV Player/ Hub content through HDMI. If you have a YouView box hooked up by scart or composite cables you only get a black screen and audio after the adverts finish. Must be to stop people selling low res. home-made DVDs of TOWIE down the pub. I don't think any other platform is locked down in the same way.

YouView owners seem to be at the bottom of the heap. With the latest software update, you can now only watch ITV Player/ Hub content through HDMI. If you have a YouView box hooked up by scart or composite cables you only get a black screen and audio after the adverts finish. Must be to stop people selling low res. home-made DVDs of TOWIE down the pub. I don't think any other platform is locked down in the same way.
ITV hub with SCART works with my DTR-T2100.
There use to be bug where if had been tuned to an HD channel before starting an SD playback the SD playback inherited some of the HD restrictions. I wonder if what you are seeing is a variation of that.

ITV hub with SCART works with my DTR-T2100.
There use to be bug where if had been tuned to an HD channel before starting an SD playback the SD playback inherited some of the HD restrictions. I wonder if what you are seeing is a variation of that.
Unfortunately it is deliberate: see here. From the YouView website:
This latest software contains updates to the content security for On Demand players on the box. This means that the content in the ITV Hub will only work when played through an HDMI cable connected to the TV. If using a SCART cable the content will not playback and you will receive a blank screen, with the audio playing and an ITV logo on screen.

This is a phased software roll-out so some customers may receive this earlier than others.
It seems a bit crude. All4 and Demand5 already have content protection on YouView: you can watch via scart or composite but there is a copy protection signal which prevents external devices recording the feed. I don't know why they bother with all stuff, it only stops average consumers doing things which would be unlikely to cause any loss of revenue for the content providers. I'd imagine if you had a YouView box connected to a older TV, without HDMI, in a bedroom or wherever you might be a bit miffed.

I'd imagine if you had a YouView box connected to a older TV, without HDMI, in a bedroom or wherever you might be a bit miffed.
Anybody want an old Grundig I'm about to consign to the municipal recycling centre? It's been in the family for at least 35 years, and doesn't even have a SCART (there's a round DIN for AV in/out, but I've never got that to work properly - post DSO I had the TV running via a digibox or wireless extender (selected by AV switch) and a Maplin UHF modulator. The only reason I still have it at all is because life's pressures resulted in it sitting in a disused room for the last 8 years.

It's nice too, as far as steam tellies go. Proper wood and everything.

There was nothing grainy about the picture - it was always a superb picture (for a 625-line 4:3 CRT). I had the guns regenerated at one point.

It is these days. Just another, formerly reputable badge to stick on cheap rubbish now I understand?

Back