I certainly hope so.If/when the BBC no longer pays for the upkeep of terrestrial transmitters will the licence fee, or whatever replaces it, reduce? I doubt it.
I wonder if the whole thing is kite flying like many politicians do. Gauge the reaction and find it's not supported. Kick the can down the road to the next Charter review.
I saw a post on Facebook which quoted a newspaper article behind a pay wall - so I can't verify it. It appears that the BBC want to get rid of broadcast radio as well. A number of other radio broadcasters are concerned they will be priced off the transmitters. I don't know whether this is true or bull. Fits the pattern of kite flying though.There's also the issue that continued use of the masts by radio and mobile phone networks
The article I read said the BBC would be OK with paying more for radio transmission because it would easily be paid for and then some by the savings not broadcasting TV.I saw a post on Facebook which quoted a newspaper article behind a pay wall - so I can't verify it. It appears that the BBC want to get rid of broadcast radio as well. A number of other radio broadcasters are concerned they will be priced off the transmitters. I don't know whether this is true or bull. Fits the pattern of kite flying though.
And they shoot themselves in the foot by talking about older listeners relying on AM, FM and DAB. Is there anything left on AM in the UK? Even if there is surely no-one is reliant on it.In today's i newspaper
Mobile networks are on many of the masts so the costs for them would go up massively.The story is a bit overblown. Most of the commercial radio broadcasters are on-line as well. If the BBC withdraw from DTT, DAB, AM, FM and the costs go up for the others, won't they all give up on traditional broadcasting and see if the on-line only is commercially viable. Job done for those who want to clear the airwaves.
BBC's own list shows considerably less on AM than the above list. Just R4 LW, 5 Live, Asian Network, and three local stations.EDIT: It seems the joke's on me, there is way more still on AM than I thought assuming this is up to date (I see a comment posted in 2020 so maybe not): https://bestradios.co.uk/am-radio-stations-uk/. I'm astonished there is so much, and I can see why they want to switch all that off.