Latest Official Firmware ?

damianiw

Hi, I've recently purchased a WiFi dongle off an eBay seller who lists as compatible with the hdr fox t 2 but I'm having no success in getting into the wireless setting with it connected, they directed me to check I have the latest firmware and I notice it says Feb 2021 on the Humax website https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=2641&curr_page=sw_release

I'm going to check my cfw version as I believed I was up to date but is this really new or just a repost by humax hence the timestamp

Last edited:
I'm going to check my cfw version as I believed I was up to date but is this really new or just a repost by humax hence the timestamp
FHTCP-1.03.13 is a new version of software, however there is no Custom FirmWare version at 1.03.13 as far as I am aware, there was some discussion about the HD-Fox version of 1.03.13 having some problems which lead users to the conclusion that it was not a good upgrade, although I don't think there are any reports that the HDR-Fox 1.03.13 version has any problems

At present if you upgrade to HDR-Fox 1.03.13 you will lose the Custom FirmWare functions, I am not sure if there are currently any plans to create a CFW version based on 1.03.13

Thanks for your reply, they have listed them as compatible but I've not found a good way to check the chipset yet, it is working in windows which makes me think it isn't the right chipset frustrating as listed as rt3070 and lists compatible humax models including the hdr fox t 2, I guess I may need to fire up Linux and probe it with lspci

You can get info. directly from the Humax command line, here is the info. for the dongle in post #2 :-

Code:
Humax3# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=148f ProdID=3070 Rev= 1.01
S:  Manufacturer=Ralink
S:  Product=802.11 n WLAN
S:  SerialNumber=1.0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=450mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=rt2870
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

I've recently purchased a WiFi dongle off an eBay seller who lists as compatible with the hdr fox t 2 but I'm having no success in getting into the wireless setting with it connected
That is as it should be if you have the ethernet port connected. Do you have anything connected to the ethernet port?

a WiFi dongle off an eBay seller who lists as compatible with the hdr fox t 2
There is more than 1 Wi-Fi dongle of that description on ebay, which is why Bottletop asked:
Do you have a link to the device you purchased?

Thanks - I ordered another but from Amazon and it's worked straight away so definitely not the right chipset from the ebay seller :-( thanks also for your comment on the firmware - as always the support on the forums here is brilliant - thank you everyone - I have my hdr fox t 2 working on WiFi

Here's the link for the item I purchased which wouldn't work

I tried another from Amazon - this worked straight away

I haven't had Ethernet connected at the same time - I have no Ethernet socket near my Humax now which is why I went wireless.

I'll try the commands listed above and post output later for both.

If the non working one will work on my raspberry pi I'll probably keep it, I have an old Model B that could be used

The working Amazon Item lists:

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=148f ProdID=3070 Rev= 1.01
S: Manufacturer=Ralink
S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
S: SerialNumber=1.0
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=rt2870
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

The non working one
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=148f ProdID=5370 Rev= 1.01
S: Manufacturer=Ralink
S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
S: SerialNumber=1.0
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 7 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

There's your problem. The unit purchased is not correctly described and you are fully entitled to complain, if it's worth the bother. The working unit says "3070" in that field.

Thanks It was very helpful to be able to check this and I have replied, I should have known better than to use eBay as always a problem trying to return, I had a feeling it was the wrong chipset and have the seller telling me they sell hundreds and no problems ~ like I said should have known better but fortunately it was £12 so only a small loss.

Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully the amazon link helps anyone else looking for one at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seller telling me they sell hundreds and no problems
That's typical. Yes, they might sell hundreds and the average buyer is not sophisticated enough to know where the fault lies, and it's too cheap to go to any trouble over. The eBay system is flawed because it is difficult to give feedback about a product – eBay was originally a platform for flogging off unwanted items, not retail new items. Feedback is about how trustworthy a seller is, and if a seller meets their obligations and says "sorry, I didn't know" it's hard to claim they are actually fraudulent.

There is room for benefit of doubt: these sellers buy stuff in bulk from the likes of alibaba, and the product might have changed without their knowledge. Some sellers don't even handle the product, they only act as a go-between and the product comes to you direct from the wholesaler (I try to avoid those, but I frequently find sellers are not honest about where the item is being shipped from – I get snotty about that in my feedback if I was led to believe I would receive the item through UK post).

So maybe that listing used to deliver a 3070 dongle... all you know is you didn't receive a 3070 dongle. I have expressed concerns about that previously, elsewhere in this forum.

I had a problem with a QI charging transmitter from China (of course) – the item received looked for all the world like a receiver, didn't look like it had the necessary components for a transmitter, and I couldn't make it work as a transmitter (or a receiver, but I might have blown it up by then), but the seller absolutely insisted it was a transmitter and would only offer me a discount not a full refund. It was that latter detail which resulted in my negative feedback.

Don't imagine trading on gullibility only happens on the Internet. I have seen cheap products in the bargain discount shops which could not possibly do what it claims on the label (eg a cable with a digital video connector on one end and an analogue video connector on the other end). If people are stupid enough to buy stuff, other people will try to make money by selling it to them (age defying face creams, anyone?).

The moral: caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). You might think you have consumer rights protection, but they are difficult or impossible to enforce. Not even Trading Standards wants to know these days, an enquiry from an individual (ie me, about a case of a retailer denying their legal responsibility under consumer rights legislation) gets redirected to Citizens Advice (and all Citizens Advice had to say was to refer me to consumer rights legislation... there's a hole in my bucket)! We now (if we ever did) have no rights in law unless we (individually) have the financial resources to buy the attention of a judge. There are no public agencies who will act for you, so where the damages are less than the cost (in money and effort) of a Small Claims Court action, there is no protection (and that ain't gonna work when the seller is non-UK anyway).

Dishonesty rules, honesty and decency are the underdogs.

Last edited:
That's typical. Yes, they might sell hundreds and the average buyer is not sophisticated enough to know where the fault lies, and it's too cheap to go to any trouble over. The eBay system is flawed because it is difficult to give feedback about a product – eBay was originally a platform for flogging off unwanted items, not retail new items. Feedback is about how trustworthy a seller is, and if a seller meets their obligations and says "sorry, I didn't know" it's hard to claim they are actually fraudulent.

There is room for benefit of doubt: these sellers buy stuff in bulk from the likes of alibaba, and the product might have changed without their knowledge. Some sellers don't even handle the product, they only act as a go-between and the product comes to you direct from the wholesaler (I try to avoid those, but I frequently find sellers are not honest about where the item is being shipped from – I get snotty about that in my feedback if I was led to believe I would receive the item through UK post).

So maybe that listing used to deliver a 3070 dongle... all you know is you didn't receive a 3070 dongle. I have expressed concerns about that previously, elsewhere in this forum.

I had a problem with a QI charging transmitter from China (of course) – the item received looked for all the world like a receiver, didn't look like it had the necessary components for a transmitter, and I couldn't make it work as a transmitter (or a receiver, but I might have blown it up by then), but the seller absolutely insisted it was a transmitter and would only offer me a discount not a full refund. It was that latter detail which resulted in my negative feedback.

Don't imagine trading on gullibility only happens on the Internet. I have seen cheap products in the bargain discount shops which could not possibly do what it claims on the label (eg a cable with a digital video connector on one end and an analogue video connector on the other end). If people are stupid enough to buy stuff, other people will try to make money by selling it to them (age defying face creams, anyone?).

The moral: caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). You might think you have consumer rights protection, but they are difficult or impossible to enforce. Not even Trading Standards wants to know these days, an enquiry from an individual (ie me, about a case of a retailer denying their legal responsibility under consumer rights legislation) gets redirected to Citizens Advice (and all Citizens Advice had to say was to refer me to consumer rights legislation...)! We now (if we ever did) have no rights in law unless we (individually) have the financial resources to buy the attention of a judge. There are no public agencies who will act for you, so where the damages are less than the cost (in money and effort) of a Small Claims Court action, there is no protection (and that ain't gonna work when the seller is non-UK anyway).

Dishonesty rules, honesty and decency are the underdogs.
I agree, unfortunately whilst Amazon may have some ethical issues around tax avoidance the customer experience is far better and I would suggest that tax avoidance is an issue for those we vote for to manage as we are very unlikely to be able to influence and indeed purchasing from eBay probably has the same or even worse ethical issues.

You're spot on, there is no way the seller opens and checks every one of these - it's a £12 item which after eBay fees and postage is less than £10 and purchased in bulk likely from Ali baba or similar - the outside may look the same but the innards aren't what they're listing as - I'll go for the optimistic view that for £10 it's not worth the arguments on the messaging effort for them and they really don't know this has changed or they have a 'different' batch but the attitude that it must be me at fault just reinforces why eBay has had its day, no better than a dodgy market stall now and as you say zero buyer protection, it's also a pretty useless platform to sell on now - too expensive fee wise for individual items and too many people just trying to flip items or argue they never arrived or broken.

buyer beware is a phrase I'll keep remembering

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater – I have trusted regular suppliers on eBay who appreciate my custom and positive feedback. For anything else: I treat as a balance of risk against cost, and the vast majority work out fine. I choose eBay over Amazon for anything cheap simply because it's much cheaper on eBay (once you take delivery into account). Over £20 and I'll go Amazon every time.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater – I have trusted regular suppliers on eBay who appreciate my custom and positive feedback. For anything else: I treat as a balance of risk against cost, and the vast majority work out fine.
I totally agree.
You're spot on, there is no way the seller opens and checks every one of these - it's a £12 item which after eBay fees and postage is less than £10 and purchased in bulk likely from Ali baba or similar - the outside may look the same but the innards aren't what they're listing as - I'll go for the optimistic view that for £10 it's not worth the arguments on the messaging effort for them and they really don't know this has changed or they have a 'different' batch but the attitude that it must be me at fault just reinforces why eBay has had its day, no better than a dodgy market stall now and as you say zero buyer protection, it's also a pretty useless platform to sell on now - too expensive fee wise for individual items and too many people just trying to flip items or argue they never arrived or broken...
I think it's worth messaging the seller to let them know your item doesn't work. It will allow them to change it for future customers and orders.
To be fair to the seller, I purchased mine over a year ago (from other Ebay seller). They work fine and just look like your duff unit. They were very common and were sold by many sellers, although now I don't see many of the exact model on the site. As @Black Hole has said, it may have been an old production run.
I post the results of the dmesg, lsusb and lsusb -v commands from Linux Mint on a working unit - it may help you to compare the differences.
Your seller did have the chipset and product suitability on the description so s/he may be helpful and replace or refund the unit.
Note they sell a number of usb WiFi dongles, so they may offer to replace the item.
Code:
~$ dmesg
[  304.446717] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 3070, rev 0201 detected
[  304.476762] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 0005 detected
[  304.477052] ieee80211 phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[  304.480125] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
[  304.503830] rt2800usb 2-1.2:1.0 wlx70f11c260ccf: renamed from wlan0
[  304.528466] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
[  304.531225] ieee80211 phy1: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.36

~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter

~$ sudo lsusb -v -s 2:5
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x148f Ralink Technology, Corp.
idProduct 0x3070 RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
bcdDevice 1.01
iManufacturer 1 Ralink
iProduct 2 802.11 n WLAN
iSerial 3 1.0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 67
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 450mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 7
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 5 1.0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x01 EP 1 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x05 EP 5 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x06 EP 6 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
bInterval 0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
bLength 10
bDescriptorType 6
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
bNumConfigurations 1
Device Status: 0x0000
(Bus Powered)

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_092931.jpg
    IMG_20210518_092931.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks It was very helpful to be able to check this and I have replied, I should have known better than to use eBay as always a problem trying to return,
I have had very few problems with returns on ebay, though you might not get your return postage refunded.
In some cases they have refunded without requiring return of the item, in others they have provided a prepaid return label.

I tried another from Amazon - this worked straight away
Can you confirm your working Amazon purchase looks exactly like the pictured item - black casing on sides and bottom, white casing on top with detachable aerial? It's just that some reviewers show a different (all black and thinner) model.

My experience accords with @MymsMan. Really, if it's 5370 and the listing says 3070 that's prima facie "item not as described" and should get you a refund through the eBay system regardless of what the seller may think.

Can you confirm your working Amazon purchase looks exactly like the pictured item - black casing on sides and bottom, white casing on top with detachable aerial? It's just that some reviewers show a different (all black and thinner) model.

Yes it was black, white and removable aerial and it 'just' fits with my hdmi cable next to it - if I had a super chunky hdmi cable could be an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back