Linking two FOX-T2 units, via Foxlink

Hi, I am trying to link my two HDR Fox-T2 units via Foxlink, and although I have downloaded and installed Foxlink on both units and followed the instructions in the Wiki, I still do not see the units as virtual files in the media folder of either unit. What am I doing wrong please.

foxlink is only a client. You need to install the samba nfs-utils package to act as the server. You will also need to ensure each server HDR is configured to have a static IP address – see here: Configuring IP Address (click), and address the encryption issue (see below).

Then in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for foxlink package, configure the IP address you wish to use as the server (ie IP address for HDR B in the settings for HDR A, and vice versa).

Having set all that up, it takes a few minutes for the samba nfs-utils server to be detected by the foxlink client, particularly first time around. When it is, (IIRC) there will be an appropriately named folder present under My Video.

Note that foxlink was only intended for serving the content of one HDR to one HD or HDR. I think it will be OK for cross-serving in the manner you describe, but can't guarantee (I've never tried it). network-shares-automount is much more flexible (and more complicated).

Encryption Issue

As you probably know (but for those who don't): recordings are encrypted and can only be played on the unit which made them. StDef recordings are automatically decrypted when copied to or from a USB port, but HiDef recordings have to be unprotected first (and then they behave the same as StDef recordings in all respects). We have off-box and on-box (CF) methods for unprotecting; install the auto-unprotect package to take care of it (the current mainstream method).

Unprotected does not mean decrypted. To routinely decrypt recordings so they can be played anywhere, by anything (so long as it's M2TS-capable, eg VLC), without having to export the recording to USB first, do this: WebIF >> Browse Media Files, then where it says (near the top) "/ media /My Video" click the "Opt+" button and select Recursive Auto-Decrypt.

But... none of this need apply in the case of sharing recordings between HDR-FOXes (or with HD-FOXes). Within the CF we have the facility to impose an alternative encryption/decryption key at boot, which then replaces the hardware key until such time as the unit is rebooted without the CF present. That means all your units can be given the same key, and can thus share recordings regardless of them having been decrypted first. See WebIF >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Encryption Key. The simple expedient is to set the key on all units to "00000000000000000000000000000000" (32 zeros), but it can be whatever you like (including the native key for one of the units).

NOTE THAT once you change the key on a unit, any existing recordings will not play unless they have been decrypted. WebIF Auto-Decrypt won't work on them (only on new recordings), but (I believe) manual decryption using WebIF >> Browse Media Files >> Opt+ >> Decrypt will automatically fall back to the native key when necessary (somebody confirm please).

Pros & Cons: Using auto-unprotect and recursive auto-decrypt results in all recordings residing on-disk in an unencrypted state and thus available for use without impediment, but there is a (short) delay post-recording before they become available. Key sharing eliminates the delay, and recordings can even be played externally while they are in progress*, but there is the issue with pre-key-change recordings having to be decrypted prior or manually, and also if the unit reverts to its native key (eg because the CF is removed) the same applies.

* A client HD-/HDR-FOX will only play an in-progress recording on a server HDR-FOX up to the time index of the recording at the time playback started (ie if the recording was half way through when you start playing it, playback will stop half way through and you have to start playback again to complete the rest).

Last edited:
foxlink is only a client. You need to install the samba package to act as the server.
No, foxlink uses NFS not Samba. The appropriate package is installed as a dependency.
followed the instructions in the Wiki,
It would be helpful to know that you actually put in the correct IP address rather than slavishly copying the Wiki, which doesn't actually say that.
I still do not see the units as virtual files in the media folder of either unit. What am I doing wrong please.
You either need to reboot, or toggle the cron service off and then on again on the Service Management page. This is naff, but it's the way it currently works.
Also be aware that the only way of deactivating Foxlink is to uninstall it. If you turn off the server box that Foxlink is connected to before deactivating it, then it may become unstable/hang/crash. This is also extremely naff.
Both of these things have been on my list to improve for ages...

So, just to be clear, this is what I have done so far. I have entered the IP address of each of the units in their respective foxlink configuration setting and updated the setting. In addition I have uninstalled the foxlink package and reinstalled it in each of the units. I have disabled samba in both units, I have toggled cron on and off in both units, everything else is as per Wiki instructions. Rebooted both units, still no joy!. Any ideas please?.

Thank you all very much, I have sorted it out, and now it all works, I had allocated the IP address the wrong way round, plonker!.

I had allocated the IP address the wrong way round, plonker!.
:D

No, foxlink uses NFS not Samba. The appropriate package is installed as a dependency.
I configured this between a HD-FOX and a HDR-FOX recently. I installed foxlink on the HD-FOX and samba on the HDR-FOX. However, maybe I didn't test it properly... I didn't have access to the target HDR-FOX at the time, and foxlinked to one of my HDR-FOXes, which I think isn't running NFS.

Back