Linking Two HDR-FOX T2's by Foxlink

hummybee

Hi All

I am trying to set-up HDR1 to view files stored on HDR2 to play, pause, ff, delete etc. (via HDR1).

I have tried various combinations of Foxlink, nfs-utils, virtual-disk2, auto-decrypt and recursive auto decrypt (on HDR2).

Which is the best/correct decrypt option to use on HDR2?

Do I need to install/set-up all three packages on both HDR1 and HDR2 or only on HDR1 or HDR2?

Although I can see the files (on HDR2) they wont play and both boxes keep crashing, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you MontysEvilTwin and Black Hole for your respective links.

I did follow the Foxlink installation instructions but found it a little confusing (my fault I'm sure) e.g do I need the virtual-disk2 package?

As I will only be using the link one way (HDR1 accessing HDR2 media) do I only need to set up the Foxlink settings on HDR1 to show the HDR IP Address of HDR2?

Or do I also need to set up the Foxlink settings on HDR2 to show the HDR IP Address of HDR1?

As HDR1 is 'effectively' being used as an HD box, do I still need to install the nfs-utils package on both units?

Will I be able to delete files on HDR2?

Clarification would be appreciated.

I have not used foxlink, but I believe it was originally configured so that when installed on a HDR-FOX it provided the server, and when installed on a HD-FOX it configured as a client. I'm not sure how you tell foxlink on a HDR-FOX to configure as a client, but you can achieve the same result using network-shares-automount. Update: I had a look at the Wiki notes - foxlink goes on the client device and nfs-utils provides the server end.

virtualdisk2 is only needed so that the client device can "see" the remote device as a virtual USB drive by making the HDR-FOX think it has a real physical USB drive plugged in. You can achieve the same thing by keeping a UPD or an external hard drive permanently connected.

Once set up, the client HD/HDR "thinks" the files are on a local external drive, so you can do anything that could be done with a local recording. That's the point, because if all you wanted to do was play the recordings, the HD/HDR-FOX has built-in DLNA streaming capability.

I would just add that if you are using the undelete package on the remote HDR (server) and you delete a file on the remote machine from the local machine (client) it will be fully deleted: it is not moved to the [Deleted Items] folder. If this is an issue, you can move the file into the [Deleted Items] folder instead and it will be automatically deleted at a later date.

Thanks Black Hole.

Maybe Foxlink is too simple for me to understand so I'll give network-shares-automount a go.

Thanks for the info MontysEvilTwin.

I'll bear that in mind if I get Foxlink to work but will now give network-shares-automount a go an see how I get on.

Thanks for the info MontysEvilTwin.

I'll bear that in mind if I get Foxlink to work but will now give network-shares-automount a go an see how I get on.
I use Network Shares Automount and it is great but it took me a fair bit of reading, and I had to ask a few questions on this forum to get it working as I wanted. Foxlink is easier to set up: if you follow Black Hole's posts (#3 and #5) it will work. I will summarise again to bring it all into one place:

On the remote (server) HDR

1. Turn on content sharing on the Humax (DLNA server needs to be running).
2. Install the auto-unprotect package (removes 'Enc' flags from Hi-def content, allowing decryption. I also recommend installing the undelete package, as if anything goes wrong with the decryption etc. you can retrieve the original from the [Deleted Items] folder).
3. Using Web-If, flag the 'My Video' folder for recursive autodecrypt (when indexed by the DLNA server, completed recordings in this folder and the folders below will be decrypted while the HDR is switched on. Single programmes typically take less than ten minutes to process. If you have a lot of content to decrypt it can take quite a long time.
4. Install the NFS-Utils package (to facilitate the network connection).

On the local (client) HDR

1. Install and configure the Foxlink package using Web-If (input the IP address of the remote HDR. If the IP address changes you will need to update this field: set up a manual IP address on the remote HDR if this becomes a problem).
2. Install the virtual-disk 2 package or leave a USB drive plugged into one of the USB ports (this is necessary to access the files on the remote HDR: this is done by selecting storage [blue button] and USB on the local HDR).

Looks like a fair summary, although to be picky the WebIF auto-decryption scans for candidates every 10 minutes, and is dependent on the DLNA indexer having done its job, so assuming there is no backlog you do need to allow at least 10 minutes for a new recording to become available by Foxlink - and sometimes the indexer has a go-slow and the programme is not available for a considerable time (it will be present in the media list, but won't play). Further, viewing a recording (locally) when the decryption is due can cause havoc.

For information about fixing IP addresses, see HERE (click).

Thanks MontysEvilTwin for the excellent summary .

I appear to have got it working, but not tested, having re-read Black Hole's updated post#36 and now re-checking using your summary.

Can only find FTP Server option on the Humax which is off as I'm running betaftpd under Services on the server (HDR2) .

HDR1 (Client) has gained a new empty folder, usb-drive1, which I presume is just there as part of the virtual-disk 2 package and can be ignored.

Having re-checked the foxlink settings, HDR IP Address is now blank and the Local Directory name is back to the default 'HDR' but I can still see the media files on the Server (HDR2).

Black Hole. Thanks for the additional info and links.

Will continue with this tomorrow as a glass (or two) of red is awaiting my urgent attention.

The content share option is adjacent to the FTP server option in the menu. It must be switched on. The only reason this menu item would be missing is if the firmware version pre-dates activation of the DLNA server by one of the updates. Update the firmware if necessary.
You need to input the IP address of the server in the Foxlink settings, the name in the other box (default = HDR) is the folder name under which the remote files will be found.

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On

"Content Share" is the DLNA server, required for on-the-box decryption. "FTP Server" is something else.

Hi MontysEvilTwin and Black Hole

Contents Share on the Server (HDR2) was already on but I was looking for a DLNA option. Now, thanks to Black Hole, I know they are one and the same.

Although I can access the media files on the Server (HDR2) via the Client (HDR1) when tying to play I get an error message 'The channel is scrambled or not available'.

I have/did input the IP address of the Server and the name 'HDR2' in the other box in the Foxlink settings on the Client (HDR1) but when I checked the settings later both had disappeared.

How do I get Foxlink to retain the settings (or have they been stored elsewhere)?

I have recursive autodecrypt on, on the Server (HDR2). Is there a way to check it is working/set-up properly?

Contents Sharing on the Client (HDR1) is NOT set to on (as I'm not sharing the contents) but does it need to be on anyway?.

Anything else I need to try/check?

Appreciate your help.

In reply to Hummybee:

Although I can access the media files on the Server (HDR2) via the Client (HDR1) when tying to play I get an error message 'The channel is scrambled or not available'.
This indicates that the programme is still encrypted.

I have/did input the IP address of the Server and the name 'HDR2' in the other box in the Foxlink settings on the Client (HDR1) but when I checked the settings later both had disappeared.
I think this is a bug in Web-If.

How do I get Foxlink to retain the settings (or have they been stored elsewhere)?
If you can see the remote HDR and its files on the client the settings have been stored correctly.

I have recursive autodecrypt on, on the Server (HDR2). Is there a way to check it is working/set-up properly?
In Web-If, decrypted files have a green 'Dec' icon after them ('Browse Media Files' section) and in the 'Diagnostics' section, file decryption events are listed in the 'auto.log' file.

Contents Sharing on the Client (HDR1) is NOT set to on (as I'm not sharing the contents) but does it need to be on anyway?
This does not have to be on, but if you do turn it on you will be able to play content stored on HDR1 on HDR2 by DLNA.

I agree with the above. In addition, there is a command to check how many files have been decrypted (it takes a long time to work through them all when first set up) but I can't remember what it is.

It's in the WiKi HERE, you need Webif >> Diagnostics >> encsummary >> Run Diagnostic
Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic encsummary
Running: encsummary
Showing files under /media/My Video/
Encrypted: 364
Decrypted: 70
Total:    434

>>> Ending diagnostic encsummary

There is also Webif >> Diagnostics >> encheck >> Run Diagnostic which displays possible decryption failures
Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic encheck
Running: encheck
/media/My Video/archive/VIC+BOB_20120819_0120.ts
  HMT marked encrypted:    0
  Stripts thinks encrypted: 1
Humax TS Stripper Tool v1.2.5, by af123, 2012-13.

Syntax: stripts [options]  [output]
    -a        Analyse an input file.
    -A        Quickly analyse an input file.
    -c        Check if there are any EIT packets.
    -C        Show address of first EIT packet.
    -D        Dump NTS file.
    -E        Check if file is encrypted.
    -f        Also fix PAT packets.
    -F        Only fix PAT packets.
    -T        Dump TS file.
    -v        Verbose.
    -X        Add bookmarks at programme start/end.
    -z        Analyse entire TS file.
    -d [level]    Increase debug level or set debug level.

>>> Ending diagnostic encheck

Thanks Ezra Pound.

>>> Beginning diagnostic encsummary
Running: encsummary
Showing files under /media/My Video/
Encrypted: 10
Decrypted: 0
Total: 10

>>> Ending diagnostic encsummary

>>> Beginning diagnostic encheck
Running: encheck

>>> Ending diagnostic encheck

HELP!

In Web-If>Diagnostics>DLNA Server, is the DLNA server definitely running?
In Web-If>Browse Media Files, do the individual programmes have the DLNA symbol (see below) after them?
dlna-small-jpg.967

If so, right-click and see if you can do a manual decrypt.
If it is still not working, try resetting the DLNA database: see here.

To check, the auto-unprotect package is installed and none of the files in question have the orange 'Enc' symbol after them (Web-If>Browse Media Files)?

Back