links not visible in humax media?

sohlinux

Hi,

If I create a symbolic link from the external drive to the internal drive
its visible with ssh or webif but why is it not visible in the humax media list of programs?

ln -s /media/drive1/Fargo "/media/My Video"

the link is chmod 755 chown root:root

thanks

the question is above

why is the link not visible in the humax media list of programs? (I mean on the TV)

the link is visible elsewhere, eg, webif, ssh, ftp

I would conjecture that the Humax software does not follow symbolic links. Probably why you ended up using loopback mounts.

OK do you know how to make (mount --bind permanent? they disappear each time I reboot. I had the links working before but I reformatted the drives and the links are gone and I cannot find the info on the forum.

thanks

Create a script to add the links for you in a file within /mod/etc/init.d
The filename needs to start with a capital S followed by a sequence number. Something like S99bindmounts would work.
By the time the init script is run, you can be sure that the Humax software has mounted the internal drive but you should check that the external drive has appeared and wait if necessary.

perfect :)

mount --bind /media/drive1/ "/media/My Video/drive1/" fine :)

mount --bind /media/drive1/ "/media/My Video/" not fine :(
why cant I mount directly in the My Video folder? if I do so then all I can see is the content of the ext drive in the My Video folder, the contents of My Video disappears.

You are replacing the file system the OS sees as "My Video". You need a folder name under that, as in the first example. I'm sure this is described in the reference material for the mount command.

the question is above
That was a statement with a question mark on the end.
Putting a question mark at the end of a statement does NOT make it a question, even though some people seem to think it does.
Formulate a sensible question and you might get a sensible reply.

That was a statement with a question mark on the end.
Putting a question mark at the end of a statement does NOT make it a question, even though some people seem to think it does.
Formulate a sensible question and you might get a sensible reply.

?

the question is in the title
Since this seems to have strayed into AvP territory, to make the topic title into a properly grammatical question requires the prefix of "Why are". Inappropriate use of a question mark to terminate a sentence which reads as a statement results in uncertainty (on the part of the reader) as to the intention of the writer.

You might find it a convenient short-cut, and you might even speak like that (the rising inflexion implying a question in UK English, which is why the habitual rising inflexion in Australian or Canadian English sounds confusing to us - misinterpreted as uncertainty, but in written language it is just plain ungrammatical and consequently open to misinterpretation.

Back