List of things you can and can't do with the HD-FOX T2 and content sharing?

lstar337

Is there a list on this site, of things you can and cannot do via content sharing?

I recently purchased a HD Fox-T2 to use in the bedroom and share content with my HDR Fox-T2 in the front room, but I am a little disappointed in the functionality. I guess I should have looked this all up before I made the purchase, but I bought it on impulse because it was a bargain.

Things that I wrongly assumed I could do, but cant:

1. Use trick play functions during playback. The ad skip buttons seem to work, but no FFW or RWD.
  2. Bring up the info box to show synopsis of an episode. With no synopsis and bizarre filenames, it is hard to know where you are when you are trying to watch a series.
  3. Delete an episode from the host machine via the slave machine, once that episode has been watched. In addition to this, the 'watched' icon does not update on the host machine, meaning it is also hard to find an episode on the host machine that has been watched on the slave machine, and delete it locally.
I wasn't expecting number 3 to be available, but was hoping it might.

So basically I am wondering if there is a list compiled here of what is and is not possible using stock content sharing.

As a side note, is there anything I could gain (like above) by installing custom firmware on my HD Fox-T2 (I already have it on my HDR Fox-T2)?

If there is a better way via custom firmware, is there also a list of can's and cannot's for that also?

Cheers.

You can gain all of the above (and more, such as stopping playback downstairs and resuming it upstairs from the same point) by installing custom firmware on your boxes.
The down side is that you need to decrypt everything on the HDR in order to do this but then you use NFS or Samba to mount the HDR disk on the HD filesystem so that it appears as a set of local files with full functionality.
I haven't done this but many people on here have. I'm sure one of them will be along shortly with more information.

Wow, that sounds perfect! (and thanks again af123 for your invaluable advice)

Now I just need to find somebody who is using this setup so I can pick their brains!

If anybody here would like to explain how to set it up or point me to the relevant threads, it would be much appreciated.

That is my normal modus operandum.

Basically DLNA is a minimum functionality so that as many devices can interoperate as possible, without having to support multiple access mechanisms for implementing all the "extra" features you desire with differing file formats. It works, and it provides a function that would have been undreamed of not long ago.

Using the custom firmware (at both ends), by decrypting everything on the HDR-FOX soon after it records and having the HDR-FOX storage "mounted" across your network on the HD-FOX as if it were a local USB drive, you can then do everything from the HD-FOX end (except make the HDR record something - there's the WebIF for that).

Plenty to read in the links given in my signature panel below.

Thanks BO, I'll have a good read.

I take it hardware wise, that I nothing more than the items I have already?
  • HDR Fox-T2 (Custom Firmware (latest version))
  • HD Fox-T2 (Custom Firmware (latest version))
  • Router
  • USB HDD for HD Fox-T2
  • Network Cables / Home Plugs
Please let me know if there is something I am missing.

All looks good to me. As long as both your Humi can access iPlayer (and are on the same home network of course) you should have no trouble.

I am working on a HD-HDR-Link package that will simplify a lot of this. At present you need to install and configure a few different packages whereas this new one will be a simple install onto both boxes and enter the IP address of the partner box in a settings box within web interface.

I am working on a HD-HDR-Link package that will simplify a lot of this. At present you need to install and configure a few different packages whereas this new one will be a simple install onto both boxes and enter the IP address of the partner box in a settings box within web interface.
That sounds like a really useful package. I'm quite looking forward to the tinkering stage, but I know a lot of people will benefit from a simple setup like that.

oooh - that sounds fabulous... hint hint!

I'm a newbie with HDR Fox T2 and three HD Fox T2 STBs. I want to setup foxlink to allow each HD Fox T2 to access the recorded content on the HDR and have full control (like on the HDR).
I have installed the Custom firmware successfully on HDR and one HD, both seem to be working with extended Web IF pretty well. I have followed the instructions and installed FOXLINK on HD and configured IP address for HDR. Have also installed nfs-utils on HDR and flagged the top level media directory for recursive decrypt.

However... no decrypting seems to be happening (nothing shown in the auto.log), the HDR does not appear as a virtual drive on the HD media list. I can select it under "network" and it works as normal, but no ability to use fast forward buttons for example. No ability to select files remotely on HDR from HD for deletion etc.

The services running are Mongoose and NFS only;
mediatomb; dropbear; transmission; samba; cifs; betaftpd = Not Installed

Any clues please?

Check you have met all the requirements for decryption - it's not the default, you have to set it up. Read up by starting at Things Every... (click) section 5 (and follow the links for further information).

I don't know why your HDR does not show up as a virtual USB in the HD's media list, it should be at the top level under Media >> Storage (blue) >> USB.

@Mikethemix. Switch two of your HD-Foxes off (full standby OK) and try and get Foxlink working on one HD-Fox only, following the instructions to the letter. It can take a while (1 to 2 minutes) for the Foxlink share to show up. I don't know if Foxlink will work for multiple shares: when you get the first to work, try adding a second and see what happens. You may need Network Shares Automount for your setup.

Many thanks for responses... some progress..
I have followed Method 2 on decrypt:
"Method 2 (WebIF-mediated auto-decryption):
  1. For HiDef ensure auto-unprotect is installed (not necessary for StDef recordings); (yes)
  2. Ensure content sharing is turned on (Humax settings, see note 3); (yes and FTP is also On, is that OK?)
  3. For any particular folder, use WebIF media browser OPT+ button "auto-decrypt" option to decrypt any present and future recordings in that folder; or
  4. For any particular folder, use WebIF media browser OPT+ button "recursive auto-decrypt" option to decrypt any present and future recordings in that folder and any sub-folders (all levels). To decrypt all of My Video set the recursive auto-decrypt flag on the My Video folder (use the path links at the top of the listing to get to Media, My Video is listed in there)." (Yes, done)
The IP addresses had not changed under DHCP, however I have now fixed the IP addresses by setting to Manual (and keeping same ip addresses). On the HD, the HDR now shows up under USB drives, with its "normal " directory structure visible (like on HDR). The HDR style menu choices are there (play from beginning, resume etc etc), however NONE of the programmes recorded can be played (whether HD or SD) - they all come up with "scrambled or not available" message. However, when I select "storage" blue button, and look at the HDR on the Network, the files can be seen and played ok, but no access to the HDR style controls.
When browsing the files on HDR web-if, all the video files now have the green DNLA logo against them, and none of them have ENC. However, there is no sign that recursive auto-decrypting has started - still no activity on the auto.log on HDR.

"It can take a while (1 to 2 minutes) for the Foxlink share to show up."
How does the foxlink share show up? Is it evidenced by seeing the HDR storage under USB on the HD?
Many thanks in advance for your help guys...
Mike

Ah ha... more progress...
I forced decrypt on an HD file and then discovered I was then able to view it correctly in the foxlink directory.
I spotted the posting by af123 on this same problem - he suggested forced reinstall of web-if:
see: foxlink-simple-way-to-link-a-hd-to-a-hdr.2974/page-4
That seemed to help...

I also increased the level of reporting in auto.log to "debugging" and now I can see that the HDR has started to decrypt its files. So with a bit of luck, some more research and great support from this team ... it looks like we are headed for success! Many thanks

On the HD, the HDR now shows up under USB drives, with its "normal " directory structure visible (like on HDR). The HDR style menu choices are there (play from beginning, resume etc etc), however NONE of the programmes recorded can be played (whether HD or SD) - they all come up with "scrambled or not available" message.
Yup, if there are a lot of files the decryption is going to take a while - in the mean time it's pot luck whether any particular one has been decrypted. You can use the WebIF to find out of course.

However, when I select "storage" blue button, and look at the HDR on the Network, the files can be seen and played ok, but no access to the HDR style controls.
Correct. DLNA playback (ie the "Network" option) requires neither decryption nor custom firmware.

Back