Live pause fixed?

mike

Can anyone tell me if live pause has been fixed with the new software update?

This is such a big failure of the HDR-FOX T2 that I am planning on selling the box and buying something else if it isn't fixed soon.

Hi Parish,

The problem is that you are returned to the live broadcast at the scheduled end of the program regardless of whether you've caught up.

For example, you're watching a program from 8.30 to 9.00.

You pause at 8.45 and continue watching 5 minutes later.

Your playback should continue for 15 minutes ending at 9.05. However, at 9.00 the box will switch back to live broadcast and you miss the last 5 minutes of the program.

So technically, pressing pause does work but its totally useless in operation.

Do you not have this issue?

Ah, yes, I remember now. In fact I've posted about this in another thread.

If you are watching the channel being recorded and pause it, the symbol in the Media List is a white 'Play' symbol in a red circle, instead of a red dot in a white circle and when the recording ends it doesn't jump to real-time.

What appears to be happening is that it actually goes into chase-play automatically (as though you'd selected the recording in progress and hit Play) rather than time-shifting live TV.

is there a workaround for time-shifting live TV?

i know you could hit record for one program, but if you wanted to time shift the entire evenings schedule for that channel, can you do it?

we used to do this most nights with the old sky+box - we have a baby!

is there a workaround for time-shifting live TV?

i know you could hit record for one program, but if you wanted to time shift the entire evenings schedule for that channel, can you do it?

we used to do this most nights with the old sky+box - we have a baby!

Not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean hit Record and have it keep recording until you press Stop rather than it stopping at the end of the current programme? If so, I know that you can adjust the end time of Instant Recordings (can't remember how though as I've never done it).

Having said that, there is no need to Record to time-shift - just hit Pause, then resume when you are ready. It will stay time-shifted until you press Stop or change channel.

BTW, just to clarify, time-shifting is when you pause live TV, watching a recording while it is still being recorded is called chase-play. For time-shifting it uses the 2-hour buffer that it being ocntinuously recorded.

yes, I mean time shifting.

It's the time shifting function that has the problem I described in the opening post (e.g. you just hit pause and then play again 5 mins later).

So although it has 2 hour buffer, it just chucks you out to live broadcast before you've finished watching it.

It's such a big flaw that I don't whether I have a faulty box or most people don't time shift so aren't that bothered about it.

yes, I mean time shifting.

It's the time shifting function that has the problem I described in the opening post (e.g. you just hit pause and then play again 5 mins later).

So although it has 2 hour buffer, it just chucks you out to live broadcast before you've finished watching it.

It's such a big flaw that I don't whether I have a faulty box or most people don't time shift so aren't that bothered about it.

Well I don't seem to get this. If I pause and restart a few minutes later the machine plays out the rest of the program to its end. However, I've not had the need to run a whole evening's programs under timeshifting. I would expect many owners of this machine to want the time shift facility, so I would have thought that if this were a general problem we would have heard a lot more about it. Perhaps others could help you by reporting if they are suffering as you do?
Also, I do not recall having seen this complaint on DS or AVforums.

I know that chase playing used to dump you back to the live broadcast at the end of the program. I thought time-shifting worked ok unless you changed channel or pressed stop ( i could be wrong). Are you sure you weren't recording at the time?

It is rubbish that chase playing stops when the program ends. The habit to get into is to only chase play by going to media and selecting the program that is recording and start it from there. That's just a work around for what I think is a bug.

The same is true of the Foxsat which is why I follow the adage: If it is worth watching, it is worth recording.

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone had similar complaints.

It turns out my T2 was not working properly. Not sure what corrected it. I did resets, hard re-boots and of course the recent software update.

Live pause now works.

I must admit I couldn't understand why the forums weren't littered with live pause complaints and a huge return rate on these boxes.

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone had similar complaints.

It turns out my T2 was not working properly. Not sure what corrected it. I did resets, hard re-boots and of course the recent software update.

Live pause now works.

I must admit I couldn't understand why the forums weren't littered with live pause complaints and a huge return rate on these boxes.

Well thank goodness for that! Pleased that you are now in sync with the rest of us.

Back