Logitech getting out of the remote control business?

Gotta laugh at that second link.

Why anyone would be willing to pay £100 or more for a remote is beyond me. I only bought the 300's because they were offered for less than £20. I'm not satisfied with them, but they seem to be the only game in town.

What's needed is a remote with enough buttons in an attractive package that is completely configurable - not limited to the extent the My Harmony interface is and certainly not requiring an on-line connection while you do it (control freaks). It would be interesting to see if anyone has cracked one. The Humax remote, if we can crack that, seems a distinct possibility.

I think the One-4-All will take the lead if the Harmony's disappear. I bought the Energy Saver 4 Device + RF control of a supplied Mains socket for £5 and although it's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen it it does control 4 devices by code, learning etc, has Mulitiple Macro buttons (magic buttons) of any set of functions and is JP1 programmable. There are also nicer looking One-4-All models if you find the look of the Energy Saver not to your liking :)

And I've only just made the move from a OFA to a harmony : )

Did like my old Kameleon but it was a bugger to program. I remember pleasant evenings typing in EFC codes one by one to work out the button mappings - still, did find some undocumented codes, like eject on my Bose which wasn't on the original remote and I trained into my Harmony 300 from the Kameleon.

Posted on the move. Please excuse any brevity.

What's needed is a remote with enough buttons in an attractive package that is completely configurable - not limited to the extent the My Harmony interface is
In what way do you find it limiting? Configuring my 555 seems to limited only by my imagination.

I think the One-4-All will take the lead if the Harmony's disappear. I bought the Energy Saver 4 Device + RF control of a supplied Mains socket for £5 and although it's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen it it does control 4 devices by code, learning etc, has Mulitiple Macro buttons (magic buttons) of any set of functions and is JP1 programmable. There are also nicer looking One-4-All models if you find the look of the Energy Saver not to your liking :)
Thanks for that, but when I looked at the range there didn't seem to be one that hit the sweet spot in terms of the number of buttons available - including the one you highlighted. To get the essentials on the H300 I have used all but one of the unspecified buttons (although I could probably reallocate a couple of the others). Good to know there is another possibility though.

In what way do you find it limiting? Configuring my 555 seems to limited only by my imagination.
Perhaps, but how much does a 555 cost?

With the 300 (and 200) all you can do is allocate predefined or learned codes to buttons according to the device allocated to the mode buttons, and some buttons (eg TV Input) cannot be reallocated at all. The one macro button (Watch TV) can only be told which devices you want sent a power signal, and an input select function. I call that limiting.

Sad news! I long ago gave up on 1-4-all remotes because of their limited learning ability.

The 900 is a brilliant remote. It is worth every penny for anyone with lots of bits of equipment that needs to be switched on/off and switched to different inputs. It is a luxury item, though.

Perhaps, but how much does a 555 cost?
I paid £40 for mine three years ago and they are still available for that sort of money. Not silly money for something which saves you so much grief every day for all those hours your are watching TV (or playing a CD or listening to radio).

I had been using a OFA 7556 for years but the buttons started failing, it would not learn as much as I wanted it to and support for only five devices became too limiting in the past three years and I have been using the Foxsat HDR remote alongside it. But having had my eyes recently opened to the power of an activity-based remote I would not want to go back.

I paid £40 for mine three years ago and they are still available for that sort of money. Not silly money for something which saves you so much grief every day for all those hours your are watching TV (or playing a CD or listening to radio).

I had been using a OFA 7556 for years but the buttons started failing, it would not learn as much as I wanted it to and support for only five devices became too limiting in the past three years and I have been using the Foxsat HDR remote alongside it. But having had my eyes recently opened to the power of an activity-based remote I would not want to go back.

They are pretty well essential if you have loads of equipment to switch to the appropriate inputs. You can also set them to switch everything on for an activity, or just the equipment being used in that activity.

Given how much all those PVRs, Amps, speakers and TVs cost, the remote seems a minor extra cost.

You can also set them to switch everything on for an activity, or just the equipment being used in that activity
And more, you can tell it to *not* switch off a piece of equipment just because you have want to use something else for a while. I like to keep manual ON/OFF control of my PVRs as my SOP is to not turn them off if they will be used again within the hour. I do use the automated ON/OFF'ing for TV, amp and optical/HDMI switch though.

It did seem very short sighted to dump the Remote Control products, it would be interesting to see a breakdown of Logitech's products and compare how much revenue they get from each. I think it would be like Ford getting out of the car market to concentrate on their sales of T shirts

I wonder what their margin is. I have had 3 different versions of their remotes, but have had 7 different units, due to faults. My third Harmony 900 is faulty.

This Ultimate looks like a Harmony Touch with wireless to me. I bought Logitech remotes because of the number of hard buttons, not to share a touch screen between commands, favourites, activities and number pad.

Back