Looks like my Hummy is pooped

surefire

Well after many years of great service my wonderful HDR Fox T2 has finally stopped working. Switched it on this morning to be greeted by the usual Humax splash screen on the TV but it will not progress past that. The display shows Cust Fw 3.13 but again it will not progress.

Anticipating this happening, I purchased a second hand T2 a couple of years ago and have pressed this into action. To try and track down the fault, I put the original HD from the faulty unit into the second hand one and that fires up perfectly ok. So I'm left with a T2 which has a motherboard/electronic issue. I'm reluctant to scrap the faulty unit and would like some advice from any experienced forum members on how I could proceed. I'm not completely green when it comes to fault finding on electrical items so would be willing to give it a go.

On examination, when the HD is in the faulty unit it isn't even spinning up. A visual inspection reveals nothing untoward with any electronic items: no bulging capacitors or evidence of burning or overheating. Removing and re-seating cables has no effect either. So can any of you guys suggest more that I can do or is it a lost cause?

Thanks chaps

Does the faulty unit boot properly without the disk?
(This disk won't spin up until the Humax software is running, and it doesn't sound like it's reaching that point for whatever reason.)

Well, tried re-flashing with latest version and problem still exists. Then tried the system flush image and guess what? That's fixed it 😁

Very grateful to you guys on here. Mistakenly I was convinced it was a hardware problem. You chaps are diamond geezers. Made my day.

Then tried the system flush image and guess what? That's fixed it
Have you done anything to it recently? Stuff doesn't usually just stop working for no reason. It might have been interesting to see whether you could Telnet into it, and then maybe find the cause, but too late now.

As you've been editing, maybe you should update the "Last updated" timestamp (or remove it altogether, as the forum does it for you now), and the bit about "nearly all" units being out of warranty is somewhat out of date.

The Hummy had been working perfectly well until the fault occured. Save the odd green screen issue which is usually fixed with a power off from the remote and a few minutes wait. On rare occasions a power cycle would be required to clear a persistent green screen. But this has occured since purchasing the unit and hasn't increased in frequency of late.

I thought about telneting but assumed it wouldn't work as it had failed so early in the startup sequence.

I agree it would have been nice to have got to the bottom of it as I guess this type of problem doesn't happen too often and you guys could have learned a lot from any telnet data obtained. If anything like this happens again I'll be sure to try your suggestion.

As you've been editing, maybe you should update the "Last updated" timestamp (or remove it altogether, as the forum does it for you now)
I take your point, but I use the "last updated" to indicate the most recent significant addition* rather than minor tweaks.

* when I remember to update it at all!

Last edited:
I thought about telneting but assumed it wouldn't work as it had failed so early in the startup sequence.
That's a false assumption. The Telnet daemon is just over half way down the list of things in flash that get kicked off. Even if it didn't work, it tells you which half of the list the problem might be in. The fact that you got the banner on the display (about 25% down the list) tells us it got at least that far.

Back