Losing ITV1 Chan 3 after manual tune

makem

I live in a boundary area between 3 sources of Freeview and recently regularly lose ITV1 from the channel list. To get it back I have to re-tune all channels again and this is getting frustrating.

This is the tuning I do:

DVT-T
DVT-T2

After selecting a channel in the past I would be given a choice of at least East Anglia and London. I have noticed recently I have been offered a choice but the choice only has one option, London with a blank area below where the other option was. Or it may offer UK with a blank area below. I have not seen an East Anglia option for some while. A UK option seems strange.

After manual tuning I preview the output from each channel and usually have maybe three for each station, one is corrupt and two are ok. I choose one of the ok ones and delete the other two.

Are changes currently taking place with the signal sources or am I not selecting correctly? Perhaps I should try an automatic search. However, doing that in the past has brought up many channels with very poor signal quality.

My Freeview is supplied from a communal aerial and is the best quality available and installed by a reputable company.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I lose this particular channel and whether I am choosing the best method of tuning?

I have noticed that the firmware installed is FHTCP 1.02.29 and will do that now by installing HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_2.18

The standard tuning advice is here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-tuning-advice.472/page-2#post-5824

Are you starting with a blank sheet before your manual tuning? I would not expect to be offered a choice of regions if so. To clear out the database before commencing manual tuning, start an auto-tune and then abort it immediately (before it finds anything) and save. Then manually tune your particular multiplexes individually, and make sure they are all from the same transmitter.

No, I do not start with a 'blank sheet'. I will try what you suggest.

You say, "Make sure they are all from the same transmitter", but if an alternative source is stronger should I not select that one so I may end up with one or more different sources to get the best outcome??

The consequences of mixing your multiplexes (albeit from the same region) is unknown. I deliberately operate one HDR with multiple regions, but have taken precautions to ensure both EPGs are kept current and do not use AR on that machine. As such I have experience of those conditions in particular, but whether your practice might explain your problems I do not know.

The reception is perfectly OK for signal strengths down to 50% or less, as long as quality remains at 100%. I suggest choosing multiplexes from the same transmitter if possible, and only consider alternatives if the quality is below par - and then to keep an eye on potential consequences.

I have re-tuned the sources I posted above using the method you suggest. This time I was not offered any choice other than save. All of the sources were at 60% strength and 100% quality. When I previewed each I found they were all perfect quality.

Just a mention that the Freeview input is split between the TV and the Humax so the strength is down but as you say 60% is adequate.

I will wait to see if ITV1 stays.

Thank you for your help.

I don't know which ITV1 is on but I know it is not on 30 as they are all the HD channels

None of the other channels get lost. as you say weird. I will try to find where ITV1 is from and make certain that none of the ones I don't use have also gone but I doubt it very much.

ITV1 London is on channels 26 as is Chan4, 5, ITV+1, Chan4+1 and Film4 among others.

Of those I have noticed that ITV+1 is also missing but all others on channel 26 are present.

Maybe I can contact Freeview.

I have channeldel installed and yes, somehow both the 'missing' channels are in the delete list, I know not how. I could not see how to remove them from the delete list. I have only recently installed that package and had forgotten about it.

I have uninstalled the package and will do another tune. I have a backup of channels and schedule but cannot use it as it would put the channels back as they were. It is a pity channels and schedule backups are not available separately.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sorry I got the name wrong! I have not got around to using channeldel yet so have no experience of it, but I am sure the delete list can be edited. AFAIK the channel list in the schedule backup is favourites, not channel deletions.

"It's not exactly the world's most complicated interface."

That would be true if you knew it was a text editor. I saw an arrow which moved a channel to the delete section. That followed the same facility as the Humax 'Add Favourite' which you could move to or from Favourites.

I did not see an arrow to move a 'deleted' channel back to the main list and did not want to mess things up even more. I did look at highlighting, did think about other ways of correcting the two channels I needed. Anyway, I didn't spend long on it as I needed to recover the channels with a re tune.

Your comment was unnecessary.

The ITV/C4 multiplex of channels (ITV-1, ITV-2, ITV-3, ITV-4, CITV, C4, More4, E4, Quizcall) use a transmission "mode" called 64QAM, and it is sadly much more prone to these problems.
Just as general info. all Standard Def Freeview channels use 64QAM since DSO, the Hi Def Mux uses 256QAM

That would be true if you knew it was a text editor.
It looks like the text editors on other pages on the WebIf. A bit of random clicking tells you in about 2 seconds what it is.
Your comment was unnecessary.
Obviously it was necessary, otherwise you would still be clueless about how to operate that page.

Back