lost connection

wiab4355

Please help - last night, I had a connection to my Fox T2, this morning I don't. I still have a connection to the internet and my Foxsat. I checked the internet settings on the T2 and they seem the same as before. So what could be the problem? I don't know if it's connected but last night the screensaver on the T2 stopped working.

What are the symptoms of the connection not working - what are you trying to do? Have you tried rebooting it (the disk has to click off before you turn it on again, otherwise it has not shut down)?

Please list the content of Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN (there is no danger in doing this).

First impression is that this topic belongs in the vanilla HDR-FOX section, not custom.

OK, what I do most mornings is decrypt yesterday's radio shows to convert to mp3. Could not do that because the web interface wasn't working.
Yes I've tried rebooting and restarting.
Configure IP Manual
IP Address 192.168.0.12
Netmask 255.255.0.0
Gateway Address 192.168.0.1
DNS Address 192.168.0.1

You're probably right. Not once have I posted in the right section!

Your netmask is unusual, unless you have more than 254 network connected devices in your home network I would expect it to be 255.255.255.0, but I'm not sure that would affect anything. You have it set to "manual" - are you sure you cannot have any addressing conflicts? What happens if you set to "DHCP" and click "Apply"? If it gets settings from the router, the network connection is OK (you can set your manual address back afterwards, but leave the other three settings as DHCP fetches).

Just because the WebIF isn't working doesn't mean the network isn't working, more likely the web server has stopped running (so maybe this is custom after all!). What error message does the web browser give you when trying to access the WebIF? Does the TV Portal work, if not what error message does it give? Need more info!

Humax TV Portal doesn't appear to work but no error message either.

Web browser error message? Just this usual one:

The connection has timed out

The server at 192.168.0.12 is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Just changed Configure IP to DHCP and pressed apply. This hasn't changed the other four settings. I'll now try to connect, back in a mo.

The DHCP request would complain if the Humax didn't detect a network. If the DHCP succeeded and the numbers didn't change, the router must think they're OK. You are conversing on the forum (from the same computer as you are trying to access WebIF from?) so the network connection to the computer is OK.

The browser messages are typical of 192.168.0.12 not existing on the network. If the connection was up but the web server was down, the browser would probably show a file list or say that the service is down (so I'm back to the idea this is a non-custom problem).

Try pinging it? Bring up a command console (in Windows type "cmd" in the start button search box) and at the command prompt type "ping 192.168.0.12". For more info or other operating systems, the following link provides full details:

http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-an-IP-Address

You could try rebooting your router. I've found with my previous BT homehub and my current Virginmedia superhub that they sometimes lose connection with items on my home network.

Having mixed XP, Windows 7, Android, Apple and Linux machines, wired and wireless, on the same network appears to be too much for them to cope with reliably for extended periods. A reboot every week or so seems to cure that problem.

If you haven't done it, you might look into allocating a fixed IP address in your router for the permanent items on your network, as discussed in other threads. Here, for example.

As BH says, your subnet mask is wrong and ought to be fixed. What is the IP address/subnet mask of your PC?
Can you Ping, Tracert or Telnet to the .12 address?
Does the router have any diags. that tell you what devices it thinks are connected?

It isn't wrong, just unusual for a home network. It should be consistent with the other devices on the network although it won't do any harm if it isn't in this case (since none of 192.168.* is on the Internet)

BH - I tried pinging;

Pinging 192.168.0.12 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.2: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.12:
Packest: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 <25% loss>,

Despite the report saying 25% loss (implying that 75% was not lost) you have had no replies from the Humax, what is the IP address of the computer you are running ping from? i.e. does it start 192.168.0. ?

What does your PC show for LAN or wireless adapter you are using for command IPCONFIG ran from command prompt.

Open a command prompt on your pc and type / paste these in to PING everything in the range 192.168.0.x:

(for /l %a in (1,1,254) do @PING 192.168.0.%a -n 1 -w 50 | find /i "reply")>log.txt
start log.txt
arp -a

For a list of the ones it found (you can also look in log.txt file or output of arp command)

Steve

It isn't wrong, just unusual for a home network. It should be consistent with the other devices on the network although it won't do any harm if it isn't in this case (since none of 192.168.* is on the Internet)
It would only my network, cos I have 192.168.xxx.* and 192.168.yyy.* addresses to cope with.
The key word here is "consistent" as you say.

Guys, we have to remember that (I presume) this configuration was working and now isn't, and as the settings were on manual and are now confirmed on DHCP it is reasonable to think they have not changed.

That it does not ping confirms the unreachable web service. Maybe reboot the router, but it must be working to some extent because he's still on line.

DHCP test 2: set the IP config to "DHCP", then reboot the Humax (make sure it reboots properly - the drive must stop spinning, USB power is cut, and the Ethernet port lights go out, before powering up again). Report the resulting settings page after boot up.

The humax should respond though even without the custom firmware or web-if.

If humax is set to DHCP and gets an IP address allocated then physical comms is working, as is the ip stack.

1. It has a link light, and you can see activity?
2. Is this wired network, wired via "home plug", or wireless?
3. If you set it to DHCP does it get an address from the router?
4. If it does, can you connect to the net, i.e. Humax portal from the TV screen?

Steve

By implication it is a wired network, it appears to get an address from the router but my DHCP test 2 will confirm that for sure, and no it does not connect to the TV Portal.

I am concerned about the earlier DHCP result, hence my second test. If there is no communication (wired) at all between the Humax and the router, there would normally be a "network not connected" message when the "Apply" button is clicked.

What does your PC show for LAN or wireless adapter you are using for command IPCONFIG ran from command prompt.

Open a command prompt on your pc and type / paste these in to PING everything in the range 192.168.0.x:

(for /l %a in (1,1,254) do @PING 192.168.0.%a -n 1 -w 50 | find /i "reply")>log.txt
start log.txt
arp -a

For a list of the ones it found (you can also look in log.txt file or output of arp command)

Steve
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.4: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.7: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.9: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.10: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.11: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

Guys, we have to remember that (I presume) this configuration was working and now isn't, and as the settings were on manual and are now confirmed on DHCP it is reasonable to think they have not changed.

That it does not ping confirms the unreachable web service. Maybe reboot the router, but it must be working to some extent because he's still on line.

DHCP test 2: set the IP config to "DHCP", then reboot the Humax (make sure it reboots properly - the drive must stop spinning, USB power is cut, and the Ethernet port lights go out, before powering up again). Report the resulting settings page after boot up.

ip address 0.0.0.0
netmask 0.0.0.0
gateway address 0.0.0.0
dns address 192.168.0.1

Back