Lost Last Few Minutes of Recordings

VeryOldOne

I have had a 9200T for quite a few years. Recently we bought a second one.

Very occasionally the first (oldest) 9200 has a problem where a recording ends a few minutes before the end of a programme.

The second (newest) has this problem far more frequently on several channels

Both have the setting that records the programme on time, i.e. no time added to the start or the end of the recording.

I have (just) checked that both are tuned to the correct transmitter channels, both were also set to update their software automatically ........ this never did work and does not appear to have worked.

I used to update the older 9200 manually via a PC, the newer 9200 is as received a couple of months ago.

I do not see any other posts saying that the end of recordings are missing, but maybe someone can help me correct this.

Thanks in advance.

So do both boxes ahve the same software version? Software updates will only work if you put the box into standby overnight.

Mine has been doing this very frequently even though it has been set to go 3 minutes after the end of each programme. It is most often on BBC2

Mine has been doing this very frequently even though it has been set to go 3 minutes after the end of each programme. It is most often on BBC2

Is the 9200 recording to 3 minutes later than the scheduled programme time? If it is then it is doing what you've asked it to do. If the programme end is still missing then is the programme overrunning by more than 3 minutes?

If you record mainly from the main BBC and ITV channels and your box is correctly tuned then I would suggest you will get better results by setting the pre and post padding to zero and relying on the Accurate Recording system. The Humax is often a bit slow to respond to the start signal but usually is pretty good with the end of recordings.

I would suggest you will get better results by setting the pre and post padding to zero and relying on the Accurate Recording system. The Humax is often a bit slow to respond to the start signal but usually is pretty good with the end of recordings.
IME, it frequently missed the start and virtually always stopped at the appointed clock time (thus mostly missing the end).
That and the fact the EPG had huge holes in it if looking more than about 2 days ahead and that Humax were obviously no longer interested (and hadn't been for a long time) and its numerous problems with filesystem integrity convinced me it was time to get a T2.

IME, it frequently missed the start and virtually always stopped at the appointed clock time (thus mostly missing the end).
That and the fact the EPG had huge holes in it if looking more than about 2 days ahead and that Humax were obviously no longer interested (and hadn't been for a long time) and its numerous problems with filesystem integrity convinced me it was time to get a T2.

There is something very wrong with your 9200 or its setup.

No there isn't. It's just got very broken software which is badly designed/coded.
FWIW, I have 2 machines that both exhibit the same faults.

No there isn't. It's just got very broken software which is badly designed/coded.
There was an extensive investigation of the active recording performance of the 9200 over on DigitalSpy a few years ago. It was generally agreed that the 9200 was slow to react to the start of recording transition (most typically in the range 0 to 30s) but responded promptly to the end of recording transition with the exception of one known scenario were a bug was triggered. Your boxes are behaving differently to the vast majority.

There was an extensive investigation of the active recording performance of the 9200 over on DigitalSpy a few years ago. It was generally agreed that the 9200 was slow to react to the start of recording transition (most typically in the range 0 to 30s) but responded promptly to the end of recording transition with the exception of one known scenario were a bug was triggered. Your boxes are behaving differently to the vast majority.

And still does Martin, I think I can only remember one occasion where the end was cut off a programme I was recording from a channel that uses AR correctly. You can probably confirm this with your T2 but for a few months now I've noticed the 'start signal' is being sent earlier than it used to be. At least for the ITV soaps the 'start signal' now arrives during the verbal announcement of the programme about to start rather than the sponsor message/theme tune junction.

It does not record what it is supposed to. It is set to start 1 min early and end 3 mins later. Whether the programme overruns I wouldn't know since, obviously, I am not watching it.
Using the series link it invariably misses either beginning or ending and also records repeats of stuff it has already done. I have had this one about 5 years. Is the fox HDR 2 any better do you know? People with sky boxes don,t seem to have this problem, maybe that is the way to go but I,d rather not if there is a hummy that can cope
The 2 programmes it messed up the other night were consecutive so it missed the end of the first, but when the second started the end of the first was not tacked onto that, even though it was set to start 1 min early. End of 2nd also missing so obviously recording not doing what they are set to.
Any help appreciated, particularly if you can point me towards something that works properly. Plainly it's time for s change.
Cheers

The HDR-FOX T2 is much better than you describe here, although it depends how much of the problem is down to the broadcasters getting things wrong. What transmitter are you on?

AR works fine most of the time, padding works correctly (but obviously can't correct for late-running programmes). You can read up about it HERE (click), and in general more about the quirks of the HDR-FOX in Things Every... (click).

Using the series link it invariably misses either beginning or ending and also records repeats of stuff it has already done.
Is the problem with repeats on Channel 5 by any chance?
I have had this one about 5 years. Is the fox HDR 2 any better do you know?
Yes the HDR-FOX T2 has a better implementation of accurate recording/series link.
The 2 programmes it messed up the other night were consecutive so it missed the end of the first, but when the second started the end of the first was not tacked onto that, even though it was set to start 1 min early. End of 2nd also missing so obviously recording not doing what they are set to.
What were the two programs and was there anything else set to record at the same time? Can you confirm you have a 9200T and tell us what software version it is running?

It does not record what it is supposed to. It is set to start 1 min early and end 3 mins later. Whether the programme overruns I wouldn't know since, obviously, I am not watching it.

Do some tests when you are watching, that will remove the guesswork and show you if the Hummy is actually doing what you've asked it to do.

Yes it's a 9200 Software 1.00.23. The 2 programmes were consecutive 1hr shows on BBC2 8pm-9pm & 9pm-10pm. At the same time BBC1 9pm - 10.30pm (no probs there). Of course i didn't mean sky in my earlier post I meant Hummy Freesat.
Am definitely not getting signals from more than one transmitter, though this has not been unknown in the past, but mainly prior to switchover. My signal is from Bluebell Hill, which is about 30 miles away and in it's turn is relayed from Dover. Sometimes Crystal Palace used to cut in.
The joke is I only live 4 miles from the Heathfield transmitter which doesn't broadcast in this direction or goes straight over our heads. Anyway that is not the problem. Have taken up Biggles' suggestion & am even now simultaneously recording On the Buses followed by George & Mildred whilst also recording an old Top Gear on Dave. Will let you know how it goes. These are certainly WILD & CRAZY times. A feast of fun awaits (n0t).
Cheers, John.

Yes it's a 9200 Software 1.00.23. The 2 programmes were consecutive 1hr shows on BBC2 8pm-9pm & 9pm-10pm. At the same time BBC1 9pm - 10.30pm (no probs there). Of course i didn't mean sky in my earlier post I meant Hummy Freesat.
Am definitely not getting signals from more than one transmitter, though this has not been unknown in the past, but mainly prior to switchover. My signal is from Bluebell Hill, which is about 30 miles away and in it's turn is relayed from Dover. Sometimes Crystal Palace used to cut in.
The joke is I only live 4 miles from the Heathfield transmitter which doesn't broadcast in this direction or goes straight over our heads. Anyway that is not the problem. Have taken up Biggles' suggestion & am even now simultaneously recording On the Buses followed by George & Mildred whilst also recording an old Top Gear on Dave. Will let you know how it goes. These are certainly WILD & CRAZY times. A feast of fun awaits (n0t).
Cheers, John.

Update: it recorded onthe buses OK but lopped off the padded time at the end - did not record G&M, which was the nxt up on same channel because it "conflicted with other reservations". Recorded top gear but stopped it before end. Nothing else recording at that time. Put simply it is just ignoring the padding instructions & shutting off early at the end of each programme.

Update: it recorded onthe buses OK but lopped off the padded time at the end - did not record G&M, which was the nxt up on same channel because it "conflicted with other reservations". Recorded top gear but stopped it before end. Nothing else recording at that time. Put simply it is just ignoring the padding instructions & shutting off early at the end of each programme.

Where you have consecutive recordings on the same channel I think I'm right in saying that the padding between the programmes is cancelled so I'm not surprised the padding was removed from the end of On The Buses. However there should not have been a conflict between G & M and Top Gear so I don't understand why G & M failed, both tuners must be working because Top Gear started mid way through On The Buses. Just do one simple recording, note the time of the start and end of the recording, do the times correspond to the applied padding?

Where you have consecutive recordings on the same channel I think I'm right in saying that the padding between the programmes is cancelled so I'm not surprised the padding was removed from the end of On The Buses. However there should not have been a conflict between G & M and Top Gear so I don't understand why G & M failed, both tuners must be working because Top Gear started mid way through On The Buses. Just do one simple recording, note the time of the start and end of the recording, do the times correspond to the applied padding?
Cheers for that. I'll do it later on & let you know. Didn't realise consecutive recording knocked off the padding. Had a look at the FoxHDR T2 yesterday, supposed to be better and the guy in the shop says you can plug in a USB to take off recording to save, or play back stuff stored on it. It's looking a better bet now this one is 5 or 6 yrs old. Anyway I'll get back to you. Thanks for your help.
Cheers, John.

Back