Lost sound

Not having used the HDR-Fox 2 for a couple of weeks I noticed when I did access it that there was no sound.
I have tried swapping the HDMI cable for another one. I have tried another HDMI socket with no luck.
I checked the TV for any problems and all the over inputs I have work fine, Virgin box etc.
I have done a system reset via the "Menu" button all to no avail.
I also have custom software installed.
I have found a work around by using component audio cables between the box and TV.
I would like to know what has gone wrong even though it is now working albeit with double the cables connected.

I presume:
  • You've checked the HDR-FOX volume isn't set to zero or muted;

• You've checked that particular HDMI input on the TV works with a different source (swap inputs);

• You've checked with the HDR-FOX tuned to StDef services as well as HiDef ones, and/or set Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output = Stereo.
That being the case, I'm mystified - because it seems unlikely a fault could eliminate sound on HDMI without also eliminating vision (and I don't think audio and video data is carried on separate conductors).

I have found a work around by using component audio cables between the box and TV.
Neat. I'm not sure any of my TVs would accept analogue sound for a digital video source.

Thanks for the quick reply.
The sound volume is at "20"
I will check that particular socket but there was still no sound when I swapped the cable to another one of the sockets.
Digital Audio Output is set to "stereo"

Some fairly recent TVs eg. Panasonics have settings relating to each HDMI connection and may default to the latest features. The 'wrong' settings can result in no sound from the HDR-Fox.
If this is relevant to your TV could the settings have changed?

That's why I suggested swapping inputs. It might even be appropriate to try swapping TVs.

There doesn't seem to be any adjustments on the HDMI inputs. The TV is the same one I was using when it was previously working.
I have checked the HDMI input with other STBs I have and they all have sound.
I do have a spare TV. Thats a good idea I never thought to do that. I will try that out.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just to make things clear. I mentioned component connection and I meant to say the A\V connection. I don't know if this makes a difference but if it does, I'm sorry.
I have 4 HDMI, 1 A|V and 1 component connections. The last two take the coloured plugs.
I can access the box either though the A\V (which has inferior video) or through HDMI, with both of these I get sound.
If I remove the red and white plugs the sound goes on both connections and If I remove the yellow plug the video goes on A|V of cause.
I will try another TV at the weekend to see if the original TV is at fault.

What black jack has cleared up in his post #8 is that he was not using HDMI video with sound on phono sockets, but that he switched from HDMI video (with no sound), to 3 phono connectors (red, white and yellow) carrying R+L audio and (composite) video. This wasn't clear in his post #1
EDIT
Although I don't understand this :-
I can access the box either though the A\V (which has inferior video) or through HDMI, with both of these I get sound

Last edited:
This confused matters for me:
I can access the box either though the A\V (which has inferior video) or through HDMI, with both of these I get sound.

Regardless, I don't understand how HDMI video can be accompanied by phono sound, unless there are user settings to do that (which can be, presumably, turned off).

I have seen options to use analogue (Phono) audio with video on HDMI, although I wouldn't say it was very common, it is more common on monitors where DVI (or HDMI converted from DVI) is used, DVI has the same 3 pairs of conductors to carry the digital signal, however it doesn't carry any sound at all so the audio needs to enter the monitor (or TV) via analogue phono connectors

....it is more common on monitors where DVI (or HDMI converted from DVI) is used, DVI has the same 3 pairs of conductors to carry the digital signal, however it doesn't carry any sound at all so the audio needs to enter the monitor (or TV) via analogue phono connectors
That is what the manual calls connection option 2 using hdmi-dvi and phono connections.
(The best quality connection option 1 is just to use hdmi-hdmi. Connection option 3 is the lower quality scart.)

Okay I will try again. I am finding it harder to explain than I thought, sorry for that!
Even though "Black Hole" doesn't understand I am receiving sound when connected to the HDMI port and getting the picture from there. the sound is coming from the phono plugs. If I remove the 2 phono plugs from the back of the TV I lose the sound.
I only need to do this for the Fox HDR. The TV sound is okay and the Virgin TV box is okay.
If this shouldn't happen I am amiss to explain why.
I can also receive the picture and sound when connected to the A\V ports. To receive the picture and sound on the A\V I have to have the 3 phono's plugged in.
If I use the HDMI port that the FOX HDR is connected too, I only get sound if the 2 sound phono plugs are connected.

If I use the HDMI port that the FOX HDR is connected too, I only get sound if the 2 sound phono plugs are connected.
OK, so I think we've established that HDMI + 2 phonos work, BUT unless the source of the audio is auto detected then the TV needs to be told where to get sound from (via a menu option?) and if HDMI + phone is currently on does that mean HDMI + audio on HDMI is off in the menu options?

Given that OP has tried different cables and different HDMI sockets on the TV, then it's most likely that the HDR HDMI is at fault. Maybe the socket has oxidised? Try using smooth metal object like paperclip to rub the HDMI socket contacts after unplugging the HDR first.

But there are no audio only connectors in a HDMI cable, video and audio is combined and carried over the same wires, as the video is OK then the audio carrying connections are also OK

I will go through all TV menu settings to see if there are any options regarding HDMI. When I found the sound wasn't working on the Fox HDR I tried the various options mentioned in my first post. The last thing I tried was the phono plugs and found that worked. I didn't alter anything in the menus.
I will check the socket in the back of the Humax, that's something I didn't think of and I should have because I had a very similar problem on my car where a plug and socket connection had oxidised. Cleaning that up cured the problem. Thanks "bottletop"

Well, that's not an option after all. I thought we were onto something there.
Anyway, thanks to you all for your help. I still have the other TV to connect it to, to see if it works with that.

Given that OP has tried different cables and different HDMI sockets on the TV, then it's most likely that the HDR HDMI is at fault. Maybe the socket has oxidised? Try using smooth metal object like paperclip to rub the HDMI socket contacts after unplugging the HDR first.
As discussed above - the only way audio could be missing from the HDMI without video also being missing is if a fault internal to the HDMI sender was preventing the audio data being multiplexed into the overall HDMI data stream. A broken wire or connection simply doesn't pass muster.

It is far more likely that the TV has been somehow configured to take the audio from analogue inputs and ignore the HDMI audio data, or (maybe) has been switched to a non-existent alternative audio stream.

Back