Major issue with installing CF HDR FOX T2 1.03.12 mod 3.02

If tolerances are shown to be the problem, I would posit timing discrepancies as the most likely candidate.

For example, the drive might require a certain period to elapse between actioning one command and being able to action another, and that period might vary slightly in the production batch, device temperature, what it did last, time of the month... If the old kernel issued commands well outside that "dead" period, but the new kernel is right on the margin, some drives will have a percentage probability of appearing to malfunction, but not necessarily be outside their manufacturing specification.

I have absolutely no data to support this as fact, I am just illustrating the sorts of thing that can happen in hardware and software development (and the interaction between them).

I have wondered about advanced format disks and/ or disks with extra power saving features. The vast majority of HDR-FOX T2 units had standard format disks installed when sold and we know that pre 1.03.xx, they were not set up to align AF disks when formatting. Have Humax made other changes to facilitate the smooth running of AF disks? Also recent models of USB disks tend to have user-configurable power saving features (e.g. disk spin down) and we know from post #26 that specific changes have been made to accommodate this.

My disk has been fine for over two months, but now exhibiting these symptoms. Is there a way I can confirm a faulty disk, and who's to say a new one won't go the same way? Is there a recommended alternate to the segate 2TB disk that has been tried and tested for a long period?

Code:
ata1: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x4050000 action 0x42 frozen
ata1: soft resetting port
ata1: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl F0000)
ata1.00: ATA-8, max UDMA/133, 1953525168 sectors: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
ata1: EH complete
  Vendor: ATA       Model: ST31000424CS      Rev: SC13
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
SCSI device sda: 1953525168 512-byte hdwr sectors (1000205 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
SCSI device sda: 1953525168 512-byte hdwr sectors (1000205 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3

This looks good! Presumably it's from the test 3.xx kernel I sent you (first link in the personal message)?

You could be right.
Since I posted above (post #38), Will42 has added to post #34. It sounds like his system is now working with CFW 3.02/ official 1.03.12 kernel. It must be nigh on impossible to replicate all the features of the official kernel as Humax have not published up to date specifications.
It looks like it worked with my modified CFW 3 kernel too : ) I'll post another one for him to try (and for any other willing testers of course!)

Hi af123,
What changes have you been making to the kernel?
Do you think it's worth me trying it?
As stated previously, I've been running ok for a few months without problems, until now.
Do you think it points more towards a failing hard disk (presumably something to do with the SATA interface), even though its new?
The SMART table doesn't show anything wrong!

I think it's worth it. If my hypothesis is correct there may not be anything actually wrong with your HDD, and in any case there's nothing to lose - it's easy enough to revert to previous firmware, and the trial firmware should be no worse anyway.

For those who installed the 2TB Pipeline Seagate, do you know where your disk was manufactured. I read a number of Amazon comments for Seagate drives suggesting that people seem to get more duff or failing drive that are sourced from China as opposed to Thailand. I checked and mine was made in China, just my luck!
If I were to replace it (from Amazon.co.uk, where it came from) I don't really know how best to ensure it is replaced by one that is made in Thailand?

@af123 Re post #46 I have tested this and found that my original problem has been fixed (Thank You), but now a new problem has arisen: Webif will not accept any IP Address from the Humax Box. Sorry for swapping one problem for another.

If I were to replace it (from Amazon.co.uk, where it came from) I don't really know how best to ensure it is replaced by one that is made in Thailand?
Only if the advertised details for the item specify the location of manufacture. Your best bet is to find an alternative supply that does specify, and then return the Amazon part for refund rather than replacement.

What does this mean? Do you mean your browser does not load the WebIF from the expected IP address? As above, check the IP address in the Humax menus.

Yes that is the problem - Guys please take it as read that I do understand what menus (I can excess) and settings (I can change) to try and resolve this issue myself. As I have mentioned (.... Any IP Address).

Try rebooting the Humax, and if that doesn't help, your router. Remind me: are you using wired Ethernet, HomePlug via wired Ethernet, or WiFi?

Not clear on the issue now

If ip settings are fine and you can ping the box then I'd suggest webif needs a reinstall - think you can do that from telnet command line.

If you can't ping the box and you are sure ip settings are correct try reboot as per BH #55

Sent from here using a computing device.

The three Seagate Pipeline ST2000VM003 (2TB) I have installed have all been from China (including the duff one). The one that malfunctioned started playing up within a day and I put it down to an early failure, so I am hoping the two I have now (in situ for about six and two months, respectively) will get chance to die of old age. @phd: as you bought from Amazon, at least they are good with returns. I bought mine from Ballicom (I've bought a number of items from them in the last couple of years) and arranging the return and replacement was a protracted annoyance that I would describe as Byzantine incompetence. I know that @Wallace always replaces Seagate Pipelines with WD green drives: if he reads this he may be able to suggest suitable model numbers. I think he may actually list the model numbers in the footer of his posts.

Try rebooting the Humax, and if that doesn't help, your router. Remind me: are you using wired Ethernet, HomePlug via wired Ethernet, or WiFi?

Thanks Black Hole - Forgot about the first rule "switch it off and back on again".

@af123 - again thanks very much - everything now working with the Test Kernel.

Back