Manual doesn't mention wi-fi connection?

anotherbob

My HDR-Fox T2 came today and I've been reading the manual.
There's no mention of using a wireless dongle, only a LAN cable.
I've planned to use an Edimax EW-7711USN adapter after reading a thread on compatibility.
Will the machine connect by Wi-Fi?

Thanks for your response.
What concerned me is that the user manual does not contain any instruction on connecting to a network using a wi-fi adapter.

I do think it odd that the capability to connect by wi-fi doesn't appear in the manual.
At the time the manual was written, the HDR Fox T2 did not support wifi. It was a later addition when the firware was upgraded in early 2011. The manual was never updated to reflect the upgrade.

At the time the manual was written, the HDR Fox T2 did not support wifi. It was a later addition when the firware was upgraded in early 2011. The manual was never updated to reflect the upgrade.
Many thanks. That explains it :)
However can you direct me to a set of instructions which show the process of connecting the HDR-Fox T2 to my network using a wi-fi adapter

You must have the dongle plugged into either USB port and have no ethernet cable connected for the WiFi setup option to be become active in the System Menu.

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure Wifi

Note that your wifi password must only contain the characters available on the entry screen, and must be short enough to enter before the screen times out. That rules out my wifi network!

Never had any timeout issues entering my 16-character wifi password !

What I did have a problem with was my SSID. I had set my router to NOT broadcast my SSID as an additional security measure.
This had the unfortunate consequence that every time I re-booted the HDR-Fox I had to setup wifi once again - what a bore!

Needless to say my SSID is now broadcast.

I had set my router to NOT broadcast my SSID as an additional security measure.
This had the unfortunate consequence that every time I re-booted the HDR-Fox I had to setup wifi once again - what a bore!
You can get round that by using the Custom Firmware.

Yep, trying to keep it as simple as poss. I let DHCP allocate IP addresses initially and then set up reservations with tags so that I can see easily what's what.
I thought that guaranteeing a reserved IP address would be sufficient but 'Humax said no'.

Do you not have to disable DHCP and set a static IP on the box as well as allocating a static IP on the router?

Excuse the digression, but does hiding the network SSID and using MAC filtering significantly improve network security if you are using WPA2-AES? If you have the tools, knowhow and inclination to hack a network with WPA2-AES security, would a hidden SSID and MAC filtering prevent the hack succeeding? Or do these extra features just slow down any such attempt?

Do you not have to disable DHCP and set a static IP on the box as well as allocating a static IP on the router?
Your terminology is confused. You use DHCP on the Humax and set a sticky IP on the router, or your use static IP on the Humax and do nothing on the router (you must not allocate static IP addresses from the router's DHCP pool!).
Either method will make the wireless work with SSID hidden, as long as the wireless-helper package is installed.

Back