Media mistakes

(just how do BBC's subtitles get generated... AI/speech recognition? Humans with spellcheckers?)
Varies. I read or saw an article about this a little while back. For live or soon after programmes they are auto generated, though I think sometimes a human monitors it to catch gross errors. Where there is time then the programme and script are passed to a human who then goes through carefully to create subtitles.

There is a stark difference with HIGNFY for example. I won't watch the Friday version because of the lag and errors in the subtitles. Trying to read delayed text and match it back to words said a few seconds ago in a fast moving show is too hard for me. The extended programme a few days later has obviously been done properly over the weekend, so the subtitles are correct and aligned with speech. Plus bonus content ... :)

Trying to read delayed text and match it back to words said a few seconds ago in a fast moving show is too hard for me
You should try creating subtitles for an Italian drama when all you have is the video/audio and Italian subtitles from RAI (Italian broadcaster). Put the subtitles through Google Translate and laugh at the mistakes - and get frustrated with the timings. Oh well, sorted now, well before C4 shows streams the series!

I'll confess that the distinction, whatever it is, is beyond my ken. It sounds like some recently made up term for foodie manager. Is it really a media mistake or just pretentious crap being parroted?
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/assume-v-presume.1453/post-169402

From 'What Happened to the N in Restaurateur?':

A restaurateur in the Middle Ages was a medical assistant who would help ready patients for surgery. Soon these “restorers” became known for the special meat-based rich soup they would prepare to restore and fortify a person physically and spiritually. That restorative soup was called “restaurant.” It wasn’t until later that the place where those soups (and other healthy victuals) were served also became known as a restaurant. After the French Revolution of 1789, chefs who used to be in the service of aristocrats began opening public eating places serving all kinds of foods—not just healthy soups. That’s when the restaurant as we now know it by its current name and style began to take shape.

So, interestingly enough, the restaurateur came before the restaurant, and there was never an n to drop.

So should the subtitler have changed that? It's a kind of censorship in a way.
Perhaps we could have the subtitling AI correct all the grammar and general word-mangling which goes on (eg have/of). On the other hand, just getting it to make sense would be a start!

Perhaps we could have the subtitling AI correct all the grammar and general word-mangling which goes on (eg have/of). On the other hand, just getting it to make sense would be a start!
Subtitles for a rap ... song?
How people talk, king's English or whatever, is part of how we view them. Correcting subtitles to words/pronunciations that they didn't use is the same as using electronics to change their accent or other verbal quirks. It's shallow fake.

Subtitles for a rap ... song?
How people talk, king's English or whatever, is part of how we view them. Correcting subtitles to words/pronunciations that they didn't use is the same as using electronics to change their accent or other verbal quirks. It's shallow fake.

The extended programme a few days later has obviously been done properly over the weekend, so the subtitles are correct and aligned with speech. Plus bonus content ... :)
No need to wait till the Monday. The extended version is usually up on iPlayer in time for watching on Saturday evening when the topicality is still pretty fresh.

No need to wait till the Monday. The extended version is usually up on iPlayer in time for watching on Saturday evening when the topicality is still pretty fresh.
Nah. It's easier having it on the PVR with all the other stuff we watch. Catch-up is just for when recordings go wrong (aside from actual streaming services of course).

Topicality isn't really a problem either. I believe they record it on Thursday and almost every week it seems something happens on the Friday to make it out of date.

Topicality isn't really a problem either. I believe they record it on Thursday and almost every week it seems something happens on the Friday to make it out of date.
That's definitely something that they've said about the programme. Slightly better than the repeats of Mock The Week (on Dave, where else?). They keep reminding the viewers that it was recorded on a Tuesday and broadcast on a Thursday. Football matches, referendum, elections and multiple changes in PMs screwed that up.

Back