MediaTomb and VLC

geordie

Hi

I am looking into streaming recording on my Humax Fox T2. I have installed the mediatomb package and I have VLC. I don't know anything about streaming!

When I go into mediatomb it allows me to select all files - but all I need are TS ones as these are the recording. So I add the TS files to the mediatomb database.

When I go into VLC I select Universal Plug 'n' play - but nothing shows.

I have not done any additional configuration.

What do I need to do to get this to work - am I doing it right?

Thanks
:)

Why are you using Mediatomb - do you have an HD-FOX as opposed to an HDR-FOX? If the former, you won't get very far because the recordings are encrypted. If the latter, you don't need Mediatomb - just turn on the native DLNA service using Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON.

Regarding encryption, see Things Every... (click) section 5.

Why are you using Mediatomb - do you have an HD-FOX as opposed to an HDR-FOX? If the former, you won't get very far because the recordings are encrypted. If the latter, you don't need Mediatomb - just turn on the native DLNA service using Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON.

Regarding encryption, see Things Every... (click) section 5.
thanks for the info. I will do this.

TBH: I was just looking down the package list and saw it. I read what it did so thought it was offered because it was better than any in-built one. I am happy to use the normal one.

Any idea how I get rid of it - it is not appearing in the packages. I can disable it from auto starting up but its just clutter.

Any idea how I get rid of it - it is not appearing in the packages. I can disable it from auto starting up but its just clutter.
It is classified as an advanced package - so make sure you are displaying the full list (button at top right of package list)

TBH: I was just looking down the package list and saw it. I read what it did so thought it was offered because it was better than any in-built one. I am happy to use the normal one.
It's there to provide DLNA where it isn't provided as standard (HD-FOX and, in the co-development, FOXSAT-HDR), or where some specific functionality is missing (eg the ability to stream file types not supported by the native server). The main drawback of an add-on server is that it will require the content to have been pre-decrypted, whereas the native server decrypts on the fly (which is how the CF performs decryption in the first place).

It's there to provide DLNA where it isn't provided as standard (HD-FOX and, in the co-development, FOXSAT-HDR), or where some specific functionality is missing (eg the ability to stream file types not supported by the native server). The main drawback of an add-on server is that it will require the content to have been pre-decrypted, whereas the native server decrypts on the fly (which is how the CF performs decryption in the first place).
Thanks I have done all of that.

I can see some files on windows media player but nothing in VLC - so not sure why VLC isn't working. Any ideas? This is a VLC question.

Windows media player cannot play them but that is probably a config /codec thing - I would rather use VLC.

Also, a lot of my stuff is on USB so I guess I need to use the package which allows all the usb drives to be accessed from my video. Is that right?

I can see some files on windows media player but nothing in VLC - so not sure why VLC isn't working. Any ideas? This is a VLC question.
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/setting-up-wired-network-help-hdr-fox-freeview.5059/page-8#post-65074

Also, a lot of my stuff is on USB so I guess I need to use the package which allows all the usb drives to be accessed from my video. Is that right?
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/mvdisks-behaviour.3218/

Back