Method 1 decrypt speed

jack616

Do we know how fast the decryption is for method1 (unencrypt) ?
eg. How long does it take to decrypt a 120 minute of HD -
If it takes longer than 30 minutes will another start decrypting or does unencrypt run serially?

Also - I can't find the unencrypt package...

TIA

Last edited:
Can you clarify what method1 is? Have you seen that referenced somewhere?

Unencrypt is completely deprecated and not even available from the repository any more. I don't know how it works in terms of parallel or serial processing. Assuming that you are talking about decryption via the DLNA method then I'd expect around 8 MiB/s. Bit-rates vary by channel and content but I have a recording of Beowulf here from ITVHD which lasted 3746 seconds and is 2.37GiB and the logs (from the built-in web interface decryption) tell me that it took almost 5 minutes.

Code:
DECRYPT: /media/My Video/Beowulf_ Return to the Shieldlands/New_ Beowulf_ Return to the Shieldlands_20160221_1859
Done... 2.37 GiB in 281.673 seconds - 8.62 MiB/s

It is possible to decrypt in near-real-time using detectads too.

Yes. I have noticed that recently too. It has happened a couple of times with Mr Selfridge recorded on ITV1 HD.

Can you clarify what method1 is? Have you seen that referenced somewhere?
In the standard references: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/using-fox-t2-recordings-with-plex-media-server.2003/#post-25775

If it takes longer than 30 minutes will another start decrypting or does unencrypt run serially?
unencrypt only does one thing at a time, and searches for a candidate to decrypt (when not otherwise occupied) when triggered by the cron schedule.

Also - I can't find the unencrypt package...
Why would you want to? Unless there is a specific need, unencrypt should no longer be used. It was created before the multiplicity of processes now available via the WebIF, and does not cooperate with the multitasking framework now incorporated into the WebIF. Neither does it cooperate with undelete, or contribute to the activity logs. Hence the instruction not to use it unless the target HDR-FOX is not on a home network - ie is managed purely by the use of USB package bundles. Why did you disregard the comment "Note: this method is no longer the preferred means to auto-decrypt. See comment below**."?

Please review Method 2.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the replies.
BH I don't use webif unless something goes wrong with the box - I dont need or want any other equipment plugged into it except
for maintenance. It's just a TV box after all. If it's your hobby fair enough but I just want to use it to watch DVD's and some TV.
The docs do say unencrypt is still supported so I went looking for it. I had no idea it had been removed entirely.

If the code is still available this is possibly the best method of decryption for anyone not willing or able to leave a PC plugged in
if it can reduce transfer times or decript prior to ftp transfer.
Normally I'd just transfer via USB and do it that way but I was looking to use FTP as well for those times I need to reformat a drive etc.
It's not a big deal but if it can do it - why not.

Any chance of putting it back into the library?
I'd also prefer to use CF V2 than V3 if that could be put back in an installable archive.

I have not checked, but I think it may be available as a downloadable package bundle for installation by USB.

Nonetheless, if you use the WebIF to manage your box at all, configure Method 2. Unless you are using USB bundles for installation, you are using the WebIF to manage installation of packages - so use it to configure Method 2 instead. It's just as fit-and-forget as Method 1, and has less risk of breaking something else.

You seem to think that WebIF-mediated processes only run when you have the WebIF presentation layer running in a web browser - that is not the case. It may be a misnomer, and it harks back to the way things developed, but the WebIF is now the framework that manages the interaction of CF processes at all times, not just when it is active in a web browser. It is, effectively, the operating system for the CF, running as a layer on top of the Linux kernel in parallel with the Humax set-top box management software.

I'd also prefer to use CF V2 than V3 if that could be put back in an installable archive.
What, exactly, are your preferences for CF2? You would be locked in a time warp, because it is not supported by any of the on-line stuff at all (package management etc), and the disk recovery tools are far more advanced in CF3.

I just want to use it to watch DVD's and some TV.
That begs the question: why are you decrypting, or using CF at all? Clearly your requirements go beyond the plain vanilla HDR-FOX fresh out of the packaging, so you might as well install the best there is.

Last edited:
I have not checked, but I think it may be available as a downloadable package bundle for installation by USB.
Nope, it's gone.

The docs do say unencrypt is still supported so I went looking for it. I had no idea it had been removed entirely.
They should be fixed then, it has been gone for a while. Can you point out where it says that? Somebody will correct the documentation. It was no longer being maintained and started interacting with other packages in interesting ways as things evolved.

If the code is still available this is possibly the best method of decryption for anyone not willing or able to leave a PC plugged in
if it can reduce transfer times or decript prior to ftp transfer.
Any chance of putting it back into the library?
You don't need to leave a PC plugged in to use the new method, just use one once to enable recursive decryption and then leave it to get on with it.

V2 won't talk to the package repository and there is a chance that some packages will not work properly with it since many now assume V3 as a baseline.

However, if you have a box running with CFW 2.x.x and unencrypt that you're happy with then there should be no problem with leaving it running, just don't update it.

May I suggest unencrypt does still have utility, albeit under very rare circumstances - when the user is literally running an installation purely by USB update?

Scenario: With no access to the Internet or a network, or even a point-to-point Ethernet connection, I could obtain the CF .hdf, and auto-unprotect plus unencrypt as USB packages, and thus set the HDR-FOX decrypting all content without ever touching a browser or Telnet command line.

Under these circumstances, unencrypt is somewhat less useful than auto-unprotect, but nonetheless...

May I suggest unencrypt does still have utility, albeit under very rare circumstances - when the user is literally running an installation purely by USB update?
If really necessary, I could create a .spk file to be loaded via USB that enable recursive decryption on the media root.

af123 : That just seems to download an empty file though...
Ah, I hadn't checked the file size of the downloaded package, there are probably a few other bundle links in the wiki to be removed, will do that now - Thanks

Can of worms time again ;-) Who would have thought it.
Thanks BH - I had no idea the browser isn't needed to run the webif decrypt - (as you say - - I was thrown by the missnomer)
That sounds like a plan then.

As for the rest - my use is clearly not the same as most people here. I have no interest whatsoever in DLNA use etc.
The current fetish for Tv on smaller and smaller displays isn't one I suffer from either. It just isnt worth the
effort to me.
I use external USB drives (for good reason) to move decrypted movies to another room to watch on a larger display.
I also use the box with a large number of USB drives for other (non-tv/movie) purposes.
None of the developments past CF V2 level are of much interest to me therefor and since that was the most stable
setting I had on my older box I figured it worth using that - but its gone I discovered.

For what it's worth I find the entire notion that the packages even need to connect to the web to install or
to update just plain wrong. My preference (to explain) would be a single pack of files downloaded to a usb stick which
is then uploaded to the box. If the web is offline when the humax crashes the USB stick is all thats needed for a full
re-install. (Ideally) ... Perhaps something to think about for the future.

Anyway - I'll give your suggestion a go.
(And thanks to Ezra and af123 for the comments also)

PS
This page still suggests unencrypt package is in use still:
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Encryption

But it isn't the page I was thinking of above - that one actually stated it was still supported...
but it may have been an old page I just bumped into - I'll post it here if I can find it again.

The http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Encryption page was updated earlier Today, if you have looked at it recently and can't see the 'No Longer Supported' note, you may need to do a refresh screen on that page, however the "The Unencrypt (Auto) package only runs over night, Auto-Decrypt is now recommended as a replacement" note has been present on that page for months / years

Last edited:
Well - that works like a dream doesn't it ! And much faster than I thought.
Many thanks for pointing it out.

Just 2 questions/points that may or may not be helpful considering my extensive experience of using this decrypter (about 8 minutes I think....)
Could the front of the box indicate decryption in progress maybe?
Or some sort of flag on the box menu to indicate a file has been decrypted.

Neither may be possible or considered worth it by those who have used it a bit - just my initial observation.

I would say that as decryption is is relatively quick, that there isn't much point in having an indicator on the front of the box, as far as 'some sort of flag' goes, the Web-if Main Menu >> Browse Media Files screen will display the DEC3.jpg icon against files that have been decrypted, remember there could be dozens of them

Last edited:
Well - that works like a dream doesn't it !
You're surprised???

Could the front of the box indicate decryption in progress maybe?
Possibly it could, but why is it necessary? Auto-decrypt just works away in the background, decrypting recordings as they are made. As long as you are not in a mad hurry, the recording will have been decrypted by the time you want it for anything off-box. With a VFD decryption progress bar firing up every time something is being decrypted, you wouldn't necessarily know which file was being processed, and it could draw unwanted attention from other members of the household.

Or some sort of flag on the box menu to indicate a file has been decrypted.
As I have stated many times in the past, we have no control over the appearance of anything on-screen (with the very minor exception of being able to override the TV Portal). Maybe you are now going to realise the value of using the WebIF for "doing stuff" (and you get a status report of what the box is doing as well).

Back