Miscellaneous Purchasing Advice/Recommendations

My workhorse PC is showing signs of impending failure (I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit. It is going to go 100 percent failure within 72 hours.). Memo to self: start looking around for a Win7 replacement, if they still exist (and don't go near any air locks).

Ours had some wobbles the other day, though it seems to be OK at present. So if you find something please share as it might be useful.

The SJCAM arrived today. Not tried out the WiFi functionality yet, but the rest is very good!

It recorded 1080p @ 30fps for 1h42m45s on one battery charge, and there is a second battery in the package. I had it recording to 3-minute files, and there is no apparent latency from the end of one file to the beginning of the next - unlike some cheapie dash cams I could mention. The data rate is about 115MB/min to .mov files, my version of VLC plays them without video, but Splash Lite renders them superbly (Quicktime also plays but stutters a little on my PC).

Very pleased.

It seems not. The options are 1080p (frame rate not specified so I presume 30fps), 720p@30, 720p@60, then WXGA and VGA (unspecified).

I didn't get that quite right. Specifications (from the limited material which passes as a manual) below:

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
It is quite annoying that they only have (1)080P @ 30fps, 720P @ 60fps, VGA @ 60fps and QVGA @ 60fps and don't have the last 3 at 30fps as well, one reason for selecting a lower resolution would be to take up less memory storage, however these formats are twice as big as they need to be because they are in a sudo 60fps, caused by doubling up on the recorded 30fps, i.e. each consecutive pair of images is identical

Obviously this device is targeted at the American market without any other considerations. If it does what you want BH, then fine, but it wouldn't be for me.

I don't really see that it is a problem. The memory cards can record for longer than the life of the battery, the recorded content will get edited down and re-encoded anyway, so as long as it captures good video (which it does) it serves the purpose.

What are the drawbacks that I am missing?

I am slightly less content with the Behringer Xenyx 502. Although I decided phantom power is only a nice-to-have and not an operational requirement, and although the sales details do not actually state that it has phantom power, the details of the Xenyx range indicated they all have phantom power and it came as a bit of a surprise that the 502 does not.

I have not yet had the chance to try it out in anger. I could send it back and get the slightly more expensive 802 (which has two mic inputs with phantom power), but for the intended application it really doesn't need it.

SJ4000:

I have not been able to test the TV output yet, it has a micro HDMI socket and I don't have anything that will connect with it (on order).

I have tried the WiFi though, by downloading the iOS app (designed for iPhone not iPad) and turning on WiFi at the camera. It's OK, the camera settings and functions can be controlled from the app and the live picture or recordings viewed on the tablet/phone screen. There is even an "off" button. The English in the controls etc is pretty clunky though, and requires a little interpretation.

Reminder to self: find out whether changing settings from default "sticks" after power loss. The time and date settings go back to "zero" when the battery runs down or is removed, but connecting by WiFi sets it to system time automatically.

I am slightly less content with the Behringer Xenyx 502. Although I decided phantom power is only a nice-to-have and not an operational requirement, and although the sales details do not actually state that it has phantom power, the details of the Xenyx range indicated they all have phantom power and it came as a bit of a surprise that the 502 does not.
Behringer tell me that the 502 does have phantom power, just no off switch for it. Presumably this is only on the XLR input, not the ¼" jack.

I have no knowledge of the issues: what happens if a mic that does not require phantom power is connected to a phantom power socket?

Behringer tell me that the 502 does have phantom power, just no off switch for it. Presumably this is only on the XLR input, not the ¼" jack.
Time to get your meter out. I wouldn't assume or presume anything.
what happens if a mic that does not require phantom power is connected to a phantom power socket?
It either blows up or it doesn't care.

Obviously, but what's the industry standard? Presumably sound engineers and roadies know all about this kind of thing.
The trouble with standards is there are so many to choose from (balanced power, T-power etc.).
This is a fairly decent write-up.
Most pro. gear will be OK. I wouldn't like to say for semi-pro. or domestic type stuff. Read the datasheet/manual for the mics. in question is my advice.

No, it's a notebook. They all come under the classification "PC". Laptops were bigger; when the smaller format came out they were called "notebook" to distinguish them, but now everybody seems to call them laptops anyway ('cos their experience of these things does not extend as far back as the original laptops and luggables).

If you want to revive a tower or desktop, isn't it just a case of fitting a replacement motherboard?

Back