1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mod: Network shares with SMB2 or NFS

Discussion in 'HD/HDR-FOX T2 Customised Firmware' started by Drutt, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Drutt

Drutt Active Member

Since installing OsX Lion on my mac, smb shares both to and from my modded box have stopped working. Further investigation tells be this is because Apple have dropped Samba from Lion and replaced it with their own implementation which anoyingly only supports smb2, not smb1. For now I've been using NFS instead to mount the computer's shared folders on the Humax. This works ok, but has an annoying delay of a couple of minutes before it mounts. Has anyone else been using NFS and experienced this? Also has anyone been able to share the humax drive using NFS?

It looks like the just released samba 3.6 supports smb2, so this might be the solution. Any chance of getting the package updated to that please af123? :)

2. af123

af123 Administrator Staff Member

The original samba packages were done in turn by raydon and xyz321, not me.. hopefully one of them can update it :)

3. Drutt

Drutt Active Member

Had a quick stab at compiling Samba myself, but after several minutes into the configure it hangs after the following:

checking for inet_ntop... yes
    checking for inet_pton... yes
    checking for getaddrinfo... yes

Any clues appreciated...

4. Drutt

Drutt Active Member

Just looking at config.log and found

configure:10266: gcc -c -O -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -Iinclude -I./include -I. -I. -I./../lib/replace -I./../lib/tevent -I./librpc -I./.. -I./../lib/popt conftest.c >&5
    conftest.c:189:22: fatal error: sys/mode.h: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.
    configure:10266: $? = 1

maybe a clue...

5. xyz321

xyz321 Well-Known Member

You need to run the portmapper on the Humax. I have a packaged version which I could send to af123.
    Only using NFSv3. The kernel driver for v4 seems to build the crypto stuff in the main kernel body not as a module. I haven't tried replacing the kernel... yet.
    I had a quick look at that but no real success yet.

6. xyz321

xyz321 Well-Known Member

The following packages have been added to the repository:
    • portmap: used with both NFS client and server
    • nfs-utils: kernel based NFS server (v3 & v2 only)

af123 and Drutt like this.
  7. Drutt

Drutt Active Member

Thanks for that - portmap has sorted out the long delay. Nearly got the server working - seem to be getting permissions problems connecting though - will have another play this evening...

Steve

8. xyz321

xyz321 Well-Known Member

The file /mod/etc/exports is setup to allow full access to the virtual disk. You should be able to mount it with something like:
    Code:
    mount -t nfs humax_ip:/media/virtual <local_mountpoint>

9. Drutt

Drutt Active Member

Thanks - I was just about there - it just needed a chmod 775 on the virtual directory :)

10. Mark64

Mark64 New Member

Just seeking clarification(sorry if I seem a bit slow), but if I upgrade to OS X Lion, I will no longer be able to mount my Humax on the desktop as a drive?

11. raydon

raydon Well-Known Member

That is correct. OSX Snow Leopard was the last version to support SMB shares. The reason is because of a GNU public licensing issue with the originators of the software, who will no longer allow Apple to use it.

12. Drutt

Drutt Active Member

Just to clarify, OSX Lion does in fact support SMB shares (they work fine from windows) - Apple wrote their own driver after dropping Samba due to the licensing issues. As I understand it though it no longer supports version 1 of the protocol, and the version of Samba we have on the humax only does V1. If we could get the latest version version of Samba (3.6) to compile on the humax, I think we'd be ok as it does version 2, but I didn't get very far with my attempt.

The good news though is thanks to xyz321's help above, I'm able to do everything I could with SMB using NFS instead (including mounting the Humax as a drive), and the transfer rate seems to be a lot quicker too :)

Its a little more of a faf to set up, but shout on here if you get stuck and I'd be happy to help out.

Steve

13. Mark64

Mark64 New Member

Thank you for that, I'm not going to upgrade to Lion too soon, but when I do I'll give you a shout.

Mark

14. scoobdriver

scoobdriver New Member

Hi Guys.. I think this is exactly what I need for my Foxsat HDR , is it possible on that box ? how would I go about getting the packages
    • portmap: used with both NFS client and server
    • nfs-utils: kernel based NFS server (v3 & v2 only)
    on my box ? they do not show in package management section . Can i do it via command line, and if so how ?

15. Ezra Pound

Ezra Pound Well-Known Member

The FoxSat Custom Firmware is controlled by Raydon, It does not have all the same packages available as the Fox-HDR T2, I would send him a Personal Message

16. scoobdriver

scoobdriver New Member

Done.. Thanks...
    Would any one know if adding the repository and installing via opkg would work or is the filesyatem different

17. af123

af123 Administrator Staff Member

The architecture is different, the HDR Fox T2 packages won't work on a Foxsat. The Foxsat custom firmware uses opkg too but points at a different repository.

18. scoobdriver

scoobdriver New Member

ah ok.. was hoping i could just install with
    Code:
    opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/nfs-utils_1.2.3-1_mipsel.opk 
    back to the drawing board. :)