mod: Network shares with SMB2 or NFS

Drutt

Since installing OsX Lion on my mac, smb shares both to and from my modded box have stopped working. Further investigation tells be this is because Apple have dropped Samba from Lion and replaced it with their own implementation which anoyingly only supports smb2, not smb1. For now I've been using NFS instead to mount the computer's shared folders on the Humax. This works ok, but has an annoying delay of a couple of minutes before it mounts. Has anyone else been using NFS and experienced this? Also has anyone been able to share the humax drive using NFS?

It looks like the just released samba 3.6 supports smb2, so this might be the solution. Any chance of getting the package updated to that please af123? :)

It looks like the just released samba 3.6 supports smb2, so this might be the solution. Any chance of getting the package updated to that please af123? :)

The original samba packages were done in turn by raydon and xyz321, not me.. hopefully one of them can update it :)

Had a quick stab at compiling Samba myself, but after several minutes into the configure it hangs after the following:

checking for inet_ntop... yes
checking for inet_pton... yes
checking for getaddrinfo... yes

Any clues appreciated...

Just looking at config.log and found

configure:10266: gcc -c -O -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -Iinclude -I./include -I. -I. -I./../lib/replace -I./../lib/tevent -I./librpc -I./.. -I./../lib/popt conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:189:22: fatal error: sys/mode.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
configure:10266: $? = 1

maybe a clue...

For now I've been using NFS instead to mount the computer's shared folders on the Humax. This works ok, but has an annoying delay of a couple of minutes before it mounts. Has anyone else been using NFS and experienced this?
You need to run the portmapper on the Humax. I have a packaged version which I could send to af123.
Also has anyone been able to share the humax drive using NFS?
Only using NFSv3. The kernel driver for v4 seems to build the crypto stuff in the main kernel body not as a module. I haven't tried replacing the kernel... yet.
I had a quick look at that but no real success yet.

The following packages have been added to the repository:
  • portmap: used with both NFS client and server
  • nfs-utils: kernel based NFS server (v3 & v2 only)

Thanks for that - portmap has sorted out the long delay. Nearly got the server working - seem to be getting permissions problems connecting though - will have another play this evening...

Steve

Thanks for that - portmap has sorted out the long delay. Nearly got the server working - seem to be getting permissions problems connecting though - will have another play this evening...
The file /mod/etc/exports is setup to allow full access to the virtual disk. You should be able to mount it with something like:
Code:
mount -t nfs humax_ip:/media/virtual <local_mountpoint>

Thanks - I was just about there - it just needed a chmod 775 on the virtual directory :)

Since installing OsX Lion on my mac, smb shares both to and from my modded box have stopped working. Further investigation tells be this is because Apple have dropped Samba from Lion and replaced it with their own implementation which anoyingly only supports smb2, not smb1.

Just seeking clarification(sorry if I seem a bit slow), but if I upgrade to OS X Lion, I will no longer be able to mount my Humax on the desktop as a drive?

Just seeking clarification(sorry if I seem a bit slow), but if I upgrade to OS X Lion, I will no longer be able to mount my Humax on the desktop as a drive?
That is correct. OSX Snow Leopard was the last version to support SMB shares. The reason is because of a GNU public licensing issue with the originators of the software, who will no longer allow Apple to use it.

Just to clarify, OSX Lion does in fact support SMB shares (they work fine from windows) - Apple wrote their own driver after dropping Samba due to the licensing issues. As I understand it though it no longer supports version 1 of the protocol, and the version of Samba we have on the humax only does V1. If we could get the latest version version of Samba (3.6) to compile on the humax, I think we'd be ok as it does version 2, but I didn't get very far with my attempt.

The good news though is thanks to xyz321's help above, I'm able to do everything I could with SMB using NFS instead (including mounting the Humax as a drive), and the transfer rate seems to be a lot quicker too :)

Its a little more of a faf to set up, but shout on here if you get stuck and I'd be happy to help out.

Steve

The good news though is thanks to xyz321's help above, I'm able to do everything I could with SMB using NFS instead (including mounting the Humax as a drive), and the transfer rate seems to be a lot quicker too :)

Its a little more of a faf to set up, but shout on here if you get stuck and I'd be happy to help out.

Thank you for that, I'm not going to upgrade to Lion too soon, but when I do I'll give you a shout.

Mark

Hi Guys.. I think this is exactly what I need for my Foxsat HDR , is it possible on that box ? how would I go about getting the packages
on my box ? they do not show in package management section . Can i do it via command line, and if so how ?

Hi Guys.. I think this is exactly what I need for my Foxsat HDR , is it possible on that box ? how would I go about getting the packages
on my box ? they do not show in package management section . Can i do it via command line, and if so how ?

The FoxSat Custom Firmware is controlled by Raydon, It does not have all the same packages available as the Fox-HDR T2, I would send him a Personal Message

Done.. Thanks...
Would any one know if adding the repository and installing via opkg would work or is the filesyatem different

Done.. Thanks...
Would any one know if adding the repository and installing via opkg would work or is the filesyatem different
The architecture is different, the HDR Fox T2 packages won't work on a Foxsat. The Foxsat custom firmware uses opkg too but points at a different repository.

ah ok.. was hoping i could just install with
Code:
opkg install http://hummypkg.org.uk/hdrfoxt2/base/nfs-utils_1.2.3-1_mipsel.opk

back to the drawing board. :)

Back