Ok, webif 0.6.1 has been uploaded which has support for remote scheduling. To enable it you need to create a file on the Humax disk called /mod/.schedule.testing
. Without that file the interface will work but when you try and schedule a recording then it will fail with an error message saying 'Disabled during testing'.
There are quite a few caveats with this and a lot more testing is needed.
- No conflict checking is done at all - I have no idea yet what will happen if you schedule conflicting events;
- Once a new entry has been added to the recording schedule, the Humax must be rebooted. Otherwise after a while the entry is removed by the running humaxtv process. Just restarting that works too but in that case the TSR buffer stops working. The web interface starts indicating that a reboot is required and provides a 'restart now' button. The button will not appear if the box is busy accessing something on the media filesystem (recording, playing back, copying);
- The Humax won't wake itself up to record something added to the schedule this way unless another scheduled event has already occured. Once a scheduled event occurs, humaxtv appears to rescan the table to find the 'next event' and set the hardware timer appropriately.
So, this is progress but not yet perfect by any means. However, I did manage to set a recording timer today from work by a convenient set of events:
- My Humax is configured with a wake up timer at 3pm and a sleep timer at 3:15pm;
- I can access my home network via a VPN from my iPhone;
- Just after 3pm, I used the web interface to schedule recording of a 5 minute programme at 3:40pm and then I rebooted the box (again through the web interface);
- At 3:15pm, the box turned itself off (sleep timer);
- At 3:30pm the box turned itself on (wahay!);
- The recording was successful and the box turned itself off afterwards.
The fact that it woke up ready to do the recording a 3:30 indicates that it successfully configured the hardware timer and I'm supposing that this is as a result of the 3:15 power down event being triggered.
I've got some ideas about how to make this more workable long term but for the moment, please play with it and see if we can gain some more insight into what's happening. I've added a new column to the end of the scheduled events list as well which is just a * if the event has been accepted by the Humax. This usually appears a couple of minutes after the reboot.